BMW: i4 News

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 10:58 AM
A-TSX Oldie

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Coming from a Lexus, I have no idea what all the complaints about the snout are...

i4 e40 priced out the way I want is around 70k Canadian buckaroos. Don't think I'll ever make use of the added power of the M50, but it's still a bit pricey as a daily driver/second car to the RX. Still tempting though.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:26 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by BurnabyTSX
Coming from a Lexus, I have no idea what all the complaints about the snout are...

i4 e40 priced out the way I want is around 70k Canadian buckaroos. Don't think I'll ever make use of the added power of the M50, but it's still a bit pricey as a daily driver/second car to the RX. Still tempting though.
I really want to see the e40 in person. All the press and driving reviews seem to be focused on the M and I'd like to get better info on now the e40 drives.
Old 12-24-2021, 05:48 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Official EPA range figures are now available for the 2022 BMW i4 and iX lines. As a whole, the final figures meet the most recent set of expectations BMW laid out for us. However, there are some details you should pay attention to when it comes to the wheels and tires on each car, as the exact spec greatly affects range.

Starting with the i4 eDrive 40, the maximum range you’ll get here is 301 miles. You’ll get this figure on models equipped with the standard 18-inch wheels, but step up to the optional 19-inch wheels and maximum range goes down to 282 miles.

For those interested in the i4 M50, this M model’s range suffers for its greater performance. The standard model with its 19-inch wheels is rated for 270 miles. However, option the 20-inch wheels with its high performance summer tires, and range dips all the way down to 227 miles. These tires are part of the High Performance Tire Package that also includes an M rear spoiler and “enhanced capability” M Sport brakes.

If it’s the BMW iX you’re interested in, BMW has range available for the xDrive50 model. This iX has three different wheel options, and with them come three different EPA ratings. The base 20-inch wheels allow you to achieve a maximum range of 324 miles. The mid-range 21-inch wheels are rated at 305 miles, and the top-tier 22-inch wheels are rated at 315 miles. BMW suggests that the 22-inch wheel option has better range than the 21-inch wheel because the 22s are the company’s new “Air Performance” wheels. They include customized inserts between the spokes to give them a flat design that results in better airflow over the wheels. The aluminum base wheel itself is approximately 15% lighter than a conventional light-alloy wheel, too.

There is a BMW iX M60 on its way, but that model hasn’t been revealed yet, and neither has its EPA-rated range. If it takes after the i4 M model, though, expect range to be worse than the xDrive50.
2022 BMW i4 and iX get official EPA-rated range figures (autoblog.com)
Old 12-27-2021, 02:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
just one inch larger rims reduced range so much. BMW never bring 3 series with larger rims to test.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:50 AM
Race Director

The following users liked this post:
1Louder (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 02:53 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,366 Likes on 4,921 Posts
There's only 1 big reason I didn't go with the i4 M50 - price. Configured the way I would order it is $13k more than the Model 3P. Otherwise, I think it's the better looking car, with much better build quality. The hatch aspect is really attractive to me as well, and I'd likely enjoy living with it more day to day.

It is disappointing to see that the real world range can't match the Tesla.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:21 AM
Race Director

In the bad old days of EVs — B.M., perhaps, for “Before Musk” — automakers’ plug-ins were cobbled together and compromised. Companies took existing ICE models, and stuffed them with bulky, primitive batteries wherever they could, including cargo areas. The result was compliance-car dreck like the Toyota RAV4 EV; or models like a Volkswagen e-Golf, a solid driver rendered moot by sub-100-mile driving range that got even worse on winter-jacket mornings.

The 2022 BMW i4 is not that car, despite sharing the bones of a 4 Series Gran Coupe. From starship-baiting performance and fast-charging acumen to a competitive price, the i4 — like the equally magical Ford F-150 Lightning — upends old engineering assumptions. E.g., that an EV based on a modified ICE platform couldn’t be great, simply by dint of those shared genes. Or, that an EV built on a stand-alone electric architecture must be de facto superior, again by dint of that purportedly uncompromised approach. (See the Volkswagen ID.4, that generically styled dud of the ongoing electric revolution, for evidence to the contrary).

Unlike some luxury competitors, BMW is hedging its bets. BMW’s optimistic forecast is that 50% of global sales can be EVs by 2030; especially if its next-gen “Neue Klasse” architecture takes off, beginning around 2025. That Neue Klasse architecture can also accommodate ICE or PHEV powertrains, a development that raised some industry eyebrows. BMW, which must sell cars in 140 countries — including markets that will surely be slower to transition to electricity — has refused to be boxed in and declare a date for swearing off fossil-fueled cars.

“We’ve gotten some flak for not committing to that,” said BMW spokesman Tom Plucinsky. “We think, and we’ve said, that the market worldwide will eventually go electric, and Neue Klasse is the next step towards that. But in the shorter term, we need the flexibility.”

BMW i4 M40 left, BMW M440i Gran Coupe right

There are certainly some pros of stand-alone electric architectures, including on the brilliant-driving BMW iX. BMW acknowledges the i4 pays some penalties for platform sharing, including a curb weight that sneaks over 5,000 pounds in i4 M50 guise (there’s also the eDrive40 entry model). But the i4/Gran Coupe’s “CLAR” architecture — its central floor now updated to house higher-density batteries — brings its own advantages. The idea traces to 2015 and the first CLAR-based model, the 7 Series: A versatile, mixed-materials approach (including carbon fiber) that could support ICE, PHEV or full EVs. Critically, all three can be built on a single assembly line, giving BMW instant flexibility as consumer tastes change, gas prices swing or regulatory winds blow. Customers clamoring for EVs? Crank ‘em up. ICE models holding their own? Ditto.

“When you have a plant dedicated to a specific car, if it really catches on, you’re limited in how many you can produce,” Plucinksy says. “Or, you’re below factory capacity and not as efficient.

“10 years is a very short time in automotive terms, with our seven-year product cycles. There are things you just can’t just turn around and change.”

Makes sense, especially given the rampant unpredictability of our world in 2022. Another advantage: If an automaker can build every powertrain in a single factory, on a shared platform, it can spread costs and revenues around — helping to nurture or subsidize EVs as the growing baby of the family — without unduly starving the mature, revenue-generating side of the business.

I’m a need-for-speed driver, so the i4 makes the choice easy for me. As with the Lightning, driving the i4 M50 elicited this reaction: Why would anyone want the gasoline version?

Like a Lightning, Rivian or Lucid Air, the 536-horsepower i4 M50 rewires your brain for expectations of performance. Picture a 382-horsepower M440i Gran Coupe — already a potent sports sedan — only insanely faster, quieter and smoother. Picture the pace of a 503-hp M3 or M4 Competition (and faster for passing), but less flinty and hyperactive, for thousands of dollars less. All that comes in a familiar, fluid 4 Series GC shape, with a rich interior, just-right seats, new iDrive 8.0 infotainment (with dramatic Curved Screen displays and massive head-up display), and versatile hidden-hatchback layout. It’s so good that even the grille’s bloated kidneys — like a codpiece for some cheesy German metal band — elicit a “whaddaya gonna do?” shrug. The closed, plastic-shielded grille integrates a 10-position air flap to reduce drag.

Unlike a nearly identically sized Tesla Model 3, there’s no frunk. Popping the i4 M50’s hood (and plastic bay cover) reveals not a classic BMW inline six, but a power inverter, strut bracing, a gaggle of hoses and, as this is the dual-motor M50, an electric drive unit. In the rear-drive eDrive40, the latter is missing, resulting in a conspicuous void. There’s lidded access to a 12-volt battery, and fillers for coolant, brake and windshield fluid.

Thanks to that ICE-based platform, the i4’s vestigial transmission tunnel does steal some back-seat space. It also gives up cargo space behind rear seats, with 10 cubic feet versus 16.6 for the 4 Series GC (Autoblog testing indicated it’s more useful than that 10 cubes implies, but is definitely compromised). At least the GC starts out as the roomiest of all the mongrel sedan/coupe/hatchbacks. Folding the i4’s seats opens a massive 45.6-cubic-foot hatch. That’s nearly identical to the standard GC, appreciably more than an Audi S5 Sportback, Kia Stinger or most notably, the Polestar 2.

As the first electric Bimmer touched by the M Division, the i4 M50 gets a pliant adaptive suspension that benefits greatly from an EV’s sharply lower center-of-gravity. The latest CLAR platform makes room for an 83.9 kilowatt-hour battery, with 40% more volumetric density than the BMW i3. There’s 81.5 kWh of net usable power, an unusually high 97% of the total.

During my drive in New York and environs, the i4 M50 took its unfair fight to the populace with 536 hp and 586 pound-feet of torque. Or, as I prefer, 143 more pound-feet than a Lamborghini Huracan Evo Performante. That’s a 154-hp jump over an M440i GC, and 33 more horses and 107 extra pound-feet versus an M4 Competition. Officially, BMW says the i4 M50 takes 3.7 seconds to reach 60 mph. But the i4 M50 will actually scorch 60 mph in 3.3 seconds, about 0.2-seconds faster than an M4 Competition. That’s best accomplished with a launch control start. Unsurprisingly, the body squirms a bit under the stress, requiring attention to keep the car pointed straight. It’s worth the effort.

Like the iX, the i4 can set a pace that defies speed limits and reason — with better handling, luxury and sophistication than a Model 3. It’s not tuned to M-levels of agility, but that’s no surprise in this more civilian-focused machine. Push hard, and you’ll feel some of the i4 M50’s 700-pound weight gain versus an M440i GC. Yet the i4 grips so well, especially on optional 20-inch summer Pirelli P Zeros, that it’s easy to use throttle to tweak the driving line, get back on power super-early, and let the AWD dig your way out.

My ears judge the BMW’s “Iconic” powertrain sound, designed by movie composer Hans Zimmer, as the best of current EVs; in part because they actually sound like bassy BMW engine notes, with a roboticized sci-fi flourish.

This being BMW, there are too many options for performance settings. But it pays off with regenerative brakes (“recuperative” to BMW) that underscore the performance expertise of BMW and M. Stopping power is spectacular, with beautifully consistent pedal feel. The console lever’s “B” setting allows one-pedal driving, with automatic rolling starts when you lift off the brake at stoplights. Beyond that, the iDrive screen offers regen levels in High, Medium and Low. Moderation being good, Medium is like the Apollonian ideal of electric regen, nailing the feel of smooth engine braking in a stick-shift car. Beyond that, an ingenious Adaptive setting scans traffic and road conditions, including on curves, to automatically adjust regen on-the-fly. Ease off throttle on the open highway, and the i4 coasts almost like a gasoline BMW. Storm ahead to catch up to traffic — which happens quickly and often — and the BMW decelerates more robustly to smoothly match the leaders’ pace. It’s like a smarter, more driver-engaged version of adaptive cruise control.

BMW i4 M50 left, BMW i4 eDrive40 right

The i4 M50 can also top the EPA’s 227-mile range estimate, for the model with 20-inch wheels, which is a big drop from 270 miles on standard 19’s. (The EPA credits the single-motor eDrive 40 model with up to 301 miles). Still, everyday driving had my Bimmer on pace for at least 260 miles, which means a 19-inch-wheel model should deliver roughly 300 real-world miles. Anything around 270 miles is on direct par with a Tesla Model 3 Performance, whose real-world stamina rarely matches EPA estimates. (A Model 3 Long Range can knock out 340 miles, but can’t touch the i4 M50’s performance). Gratuitous romping dropped range closer to 230 miles, but look at it this way: That’s several hours worth of spanking every overmatched ICE car, every time you charge.

There’s no compromise in charging ability, with the i4 able to sustain peak charging above 200 kilowatts, given the proper DC charger. After a drive to Long Island left me with 19 miles of remaining range, I hooked into a 150-kilowatt Electric America charger at a shopping mall. The i4 slurped up juice at roughly 157 kilowatts, more than the stated charger maximum. In 32 minutes, I filled the battery from 6% to 80%, and kept charging for 10 more minutes to reach 91% as the rate slowed to protect the prismatic battery cells aboard.

My i4 M50i was brimming with BMW options, including $2,800 worth of M carbon fiber on the body; the compelling Curved Display ($1,000); assistance packages for Parking and semi-autonomous hands-free driving ($2,400 combined), and a High Performance package with 20-inch M wheels for $2,500. That lifted a $66,895 base price to $82,820. A rear-drive i4 eDrive40 starts from $56,395, or a reasonable $48,895 after a $7,500 federal tax credit. Post-credit, the i4 M50’s base fare falls to $59,395, or $75,320 for my test model. An M4 Competition with 33 fewer horses starts from nearly $76,000. The last one I drove rang up $99,545 with options. That’s $24,000 more than this near-loaded i4 M50. On top of any savings, the i4 offers its electric advantages at a fraction of the cost of gasoline, zero tailpipe emissions, and less pricey maintenance from lab-coated BMW techs. Maybe you still want, and can afford, an M4 as a dedicated performance tool, including for track days. But the i4 versus any 4 Series Gran Coupe? Game over, my friend.
2022 BMW i4 M50 First Drive: Who needs the gas version? (autoblog.com)
The following 2 users liked this post by biker:
1Louder (06-10-2022), civicdrivr (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 02:12 PM

I build one every now and then. I just wish the non-Tesla charging infrastructure was better. It's also $77k optioned the way I'd order it
Old 06-10-2022, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I build one every now and then. I just wish the non-Tesla charging infrastructure was better. It's also $77k optioned the way I'd order it
I build one about once every couple weeks I keep trying to talk myself into an RWD e40, but I'd strongly prefer to have AWD around here. And the e40 optioned the way I want is still like $62k. I wish they didn't force you to jump to the M50 to get AWD. Meanwhile, a Model 3 Long Range has a lot more range is $7k less and AWD. I'm going to be in the market about 12 months from now, and we're starting to get a lot of very nice choices out there....

Last edited by 1Louder; 06-10-2022 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:46 AM

The issue with Teslas is that they struggle to match their EPA ratings. From reviews Ive been reading, the Germans are meeting and beating them.

Of all the EVs available today, there's two I truly want - Taycan (unobtainable for now) and the i4 M50. I do want a Rivian R1S too but it's not on the market yet.

The biggest hurdle is the charging infrastructure.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:59 AM

The issue with Teslas is that they struggle to match their EPA ratings. From reviews Ive been reading, the Germans are meeting and beating them.

Of all the EVs available today, there's two I truly want - Taycan (unobtainable for now) and the i4 M50. I do want a Rivian R1S too but it's not on the market yet.

You know, an M50 and a 2 year old CPO Taycan might be in the same neighborhood - will be interesting to see what the used car market is for EVs. And I suspect a ton of EVs are going out on leases.
civicdrivr (06-11-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 01:00 PM

True. It's just really hard to gauge in this crazy ass market

I'd love a Taycan Sport Turismo, but there will be a P-car tax attached to it.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:34 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,066 Likes on 3,985 Posts

R1S is on the market now...just have to wait 18 months or so to get it.

Order now and save up for the buy for a year and a half?
Old 06-11-2022, 03:36 PM

I don't think the R1S is even in production. I won't allow myself to be an early adopter for a $90K product
Old 06-12-2022, 08:16 AM
Race Director

I don't think the R1S is even in production.
I think the production started recently and like the R1T, employees will be getting them first (the CEO got one) Early orders have reported late summer possible deliveries.
Old 06-12-2022, 02:51 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,066 Likes on 3,985 Posts
I don't think the R1S is even in production. I won't allow myself to be an early adopter for a $90K product
It just started. You won't be an early adopter by the time you get it though.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:03 PM
Race Director

It was the BMW i4 M50's turn for the InsideEVs 70 MPH range test this week. As we do with all of our 70 mph range tests, we fully charged a 2022 BMW i4 M50, hopped out onto the highway, and drove it at a steady 70 mph until the battery was just about fully exhausted.

There are two versions of the BMW i4; the rear-wheel-drive i4 eDrive40 and the all-wheel-drive i4 M50. We had the high-performance AWD i4 M50, fitted with the 20" wheel option. It's important to mention the specific tire and wheel combination on the vehicles we range test because the range can be affected greatly by the wheel size and the tires used.

BMW i4 EPA Ratings. In this test, we had the least efficient version which is rated at 227 miles per charge.The vehicle we had was fitted with the largest, most aggressive wheels & tires that BMW offers, and thus, has the lowest EPA range rating of any i4. With the 20" wheel option, the i4 M50 has a combined EPA range rating of 227 miles per charge.

Unfortunately, the EPA stopped listing the highway and city range ratings, so we only have the combined rating to compare with our results. We suspect the highway rating would have been 5-8% less than the combined rating, placing it around 210-215 miles.

We ended the range test with the i4 in turtle mode and the pedal response was sluggish so we believe we were very close to fully draining the usable capacity. We were able to drive 239 miles; 237 at 70 mph, and the final 2 miles at lower speeds after exiting the highway to navigate to the Electrify America charging station.

All versions of the i4 have an 83.9 kWh battery, of which 81.5 kWh is usable. We finished up the range test with a consumption rating of 2.9 mi/kWh (21.38 kWh/100km). However, BMW only displays one number beyond the decimal point, and 2.9 x 81.5 equals 236 miles, three less than what we traveled. Therefore, we suspect the final consumption rate was most likely about 2.95 mi/kWh, which would take us to 240 miles. We've reached out to BMW and requested a loan of an i4 eDrive40 with the 18" wheels. That version has the highest EPA range rating of 301 miles. We're hoping to repeat the range test with one of those sometime soon.
2022 BMW i4 M50: InsideEVs 70 MPH Range Test
civicdrivr (06-13-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 11:35 AM
Race Director

BMW is expanding the i4 lineup with the introduction of a new version. Dubbed the i4 eDrive35, it follows in the footsteps of the eDrive40 and M50 variants, packing a single motor, and featuring a decent amount of standard gear.
6 photos

Using the same Gen5 eDrive powertrain as other BMW models, including the iX, the new i4 eDrive35 has a single synchronous motor driving the rear wheels. It generates an estimated 281 horsepower (285 ps / 210 kW) and 295 lb-ft (400 Nm) of torque and is fed by the 66 kWh (net) battery pack.

The German company says that the entry-level version of the i4 can deal with the 0 to 60 mph (0-97 kph) sprint in 5.8 seconds. Also, when equipped with the 18-inch aero wheels, which will be part of the standard gear, it will deliver a targeted range of around 260 miles (418 km), according to preliminary testing based on the EPA’s procedures. The battery can be juiced up from 10 to 80% in 32 minutes at a 180 kW connection.

Powered by the Operating System 8, BMW’s curved display takes center stage inside, combining the 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster, and 14.9-inch infotainment system. The car firm says that despite sitting under the eDrive40, the 2023 i4 eDrive35 boasts the same standard and optional features. Moreover, it will benefit from the full range of ConnectedDrive digital services and will be compatible with over-the-air updates too.

Set to enter production in the fourth quarter of the year, at the BMW Group’s facility in Munich, Germany, the first copies are expected to start arriving in the United States in the first quarter of 2023. Pricing in our market will kick off at $51,400, excluding the $995 destination charge, dealer fees, and options. This will make it $4,500 more affordable in the i4 eDrive40.
2023 BMW i4 Electric Sedan Becomes More Affordable Stateside With New eDrive35 RWD Model - autoevolution
Old 08-01-2022, 11:42 AM

Received 5,466 Likes on 3,736 Posts
Specs look similar to my ICE C300, with the BM being just a hair quicker. 2.0T C300 was about 6 sec 0-60.
Guessing the 3er complement (328/330i?) was similar.
IIRC, my C300 had a MSRP right at $50k, so this at 7 years newer for similar price, isn't bad.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:46 PM
A-TSX Oldie

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
This probably explains the CAD$10k jump in price for the i4 e40 we had a couple weeks back which made it ineligible for the Canadian rebates. The e35 would most likely slot into where the e40 was priced at earlier this year (which, considering the supply crunch, I don't think anyone actually got around these parts).
Old 08-18-2022, 04:01 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,390 Likes on 6,299 Posts
BMW i4 overheats with restricted power and charging during 620mi road trip

#TheCompetitionisComing