Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
95k is a steal compared to a sl55 or cl55 which it could compete
Old 05-17-2005, 06:05 AM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
CL55 I completely agree with. But I'll take the SL over the M6 all day long.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:35 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
i hate that hump in the center of the dash they seem to be sticking on all their cars. makes the dash look cluttered and off balance.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beltfed
$95k for an M6? No fucking thank you.
I agree.
No doubt the 6-Series is a hot car, but at 70,000 for the “base” model it’s overpriced for what it is.
Add 20-25 grand to that for the M-Goodies and you’re talking crazy.
I can’t see how they can justify 25-Grand just to go from a V8 to V10 and add the suspension & body upgrades.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think the pricing is too out of line. The MSRP on a CLS55 is $90K and $67K for a CLS500 so the spread is about the same. One can even argue that there's a bigger difference between the M6 and a 645i than there is with a CLS500 and a CLS55.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Moderator Alumnus

But the M6 doesn't look like a $95k car, the SL55 and CL55 look like $120k cars (imho anyway).

Look at the 645Ci coupe on the road, it look like a nice $60k-65k car (not a $76k car).

For $95k grand, I would go elsewhere.

I like the car, but for that kind of coin I would expect it to be drop dead gorgeous (which I don't think the exterior or the interior happens to be).
Old 05-17-2005, 12:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
This is the first interior I can honestly say that I like since the revolution at BMW:

It's not mind-blowing...but it's much better than what has been coming out lately....it's not so bland.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Racer

But the M6 doesn't look like a $95k car, the SL55 and CL55 look like $120k cars (imho anyway).

Look at the 645Ci coupe on the road, it look like a nice $60k-65k car (not a $76k car).

For $95k grand, I would go elsewhere.

I like the car, but for that kind of coin I would expect it to be drop dead gorgeous (which I don't think the exterior or the interior happens to be).

overpriced, not gorgous, just give me the porsche

The M6 is not a Porsche/Ferrari alternative, so you can’t look at it as a sports car. It’s a grand tourer, a Mercedes AMG CL55/ Aston Martin DB9 alternative. Which isn’t a bad thing.
M cars are now GTs They are supposed to be hardcore alternatives...

AMG please
Old 05-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Instructor

BMW will have no problem moving them even if theyre $100k, because there are still real enthusiasts (with real money) left, and this and the M5 will run rings around those one-trick pony AMGs all day.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

It's not mind-blowing...but it's much better than what has been coming out lately....it's not so bland.
and the seats look really good in RED!
Old 05-18-2005, 08:17 AM
6th Gear

Nice, but I would rather turbo an old 6 series.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Racer

my dad is ordering a 2007 M6 convertable as soon as he orders can be taken..he is a bimmer fanatic...2001 M3 convertable loaded with goodies is in the garage now
Old 05-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by machination
BMW will have no problem moving them even if theyre $100k, because there are still real enthusiasts (with real money) left, and this and the M5 will run rings around those one-trick pony AMGs all day.
Of course it will sell, the AMG cars sell as well.........what's your point?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WHITE3.2TL-S
my dad is ordering a 2007 M6 convertable as soon as he orders can be taken..he is a bimmer fanatic...2001 M3 convertable loaded with goodies is in the garage now
My guess is that M6 vert will be close to $110,000. Lot of change for a 5-series coupe
Old 05-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by cob3683
My guess is that M6 vert will be close to $110,000. Lot of change for a 5-series coupe
No shit ... That's some rarified air ... I think I'd rather have an SL55.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:03 AM
Instructor

Of course it will sell, the AMG cars sell as well.........what's your point?

That all this 'I'd rather have' BS by people who cant afford either doesnt mean shit to BMW.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
2007 BMW M6: First Drive...

Wow...

===========================

BMW's New M6 Is All You Need, and Then Some…
By Ken Gross
Date posted: 06-20-2005

"You can easily become addicted to this vehicle," said BMW board member, Burkhard Goeschel.

He's not kidding. After a morning that passed all too quickly, scampering around the Race Resort Ascari track outside Seville, Spain, we're believers. The 2007 BMW M6 betters the performance of most hyperexpensive exotics in a relatively unassuming-looking package, with comfortable accommodations for four (well, two adults and two kids), and enough high-tech whizbang included to satisfy a nuclear physicist.

Thankfully, we were on a track because if we had driven the M6 anywhere near its limits on the highway, we'd be writing this from a Spanish prison. Leave it to BMW's speed-obsessed M Sport engineers to adapt elements of their screaming Formula One V10 to street clothes. No, you can't rev this engine to an ear-splitting 18,000 rpm like Nick Heidfeld's FW27 BMW F1 car, but the shriek of the V10 topping its lofty 8,250-rpm redline will certainly suffice.

Thoroughbred Horsepower
The compact 529-pound, 90-degree V10 shares the F1 engine's valvetrain technology and crankcase construction. BMW eschewed superchargers and turbochargers for this 5.0-liter engine. Instead, its concept of lightweight, high-revving double VANOS variable camshaft management, weight-optimized pistons and 12-to-1 compression ratio saves weight and delivers the goods. The peak torque, 383 pound-feet, comes at 6,100 rpm but you get 80 percent of it from 3,500 to 5,500 rpm, just where you want it.

Each cylinder has its own individually managed, electronically controlled throttle butterfly for split-second throttle response. The exhaust flows from optimized five-into-one headers on each bank, and then into characteristic quad tailpipes.

For valet parking, inexperienced drivers, inclement weather motoring or just to simplify low-speed maneuvers, the V10's torrid, 507-bhp output (500 for the U.S.) can be reduced to 400-bhp with the flick of a switch.

Although BMW left its electronically controlled roll bars and run-flat tires off the M6, there's plenty of fascinating, drive-enhancing wizardry to satisfy the most inquiring minds. Start with the seven-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG) automatic transmission. Take a few minutes to learn its operation and you won't miss that little old clutch pedal one bit.

Hammer the throttle and, because the singing V10 revs so freely and fast, the SMG makes its electrohydraulic shifts verrry quickly. And with smaller gear increments than a six-speed, acceleration is enhanced.

Get With the Programming
To the left of the console-mounted shifter, lighted buttons let you preset engine power, Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Electronic Damping Control (EDC) and the SMG transmission's shift speed. When you switch off the DSC, it's completely off, unlike other makes where company lawyers insist some electronic safeguards remain.

The EDC has three settings: Normal, Comfort and Sport. While you're making that selection, you can program a head-up tachometer display that's projected onto the windscreen. You don't have to use BMW's dreaded iDrive to arrange the shifts and shocks to your liking, but the M6's MDrive machinations didn't look much easier. We'd suggest you work out the settings you like, and keep the F1-inspired Launch Control function (it limits wheelspin in hard starts to what BMW says is an optimum 18 percent) switched off unless you're doing serious drag racing.

BMW's engineers astutely tailored the M6 for ultralight high performance. The entire roof panel, as well as the front bumper supports, are lightweight carbon fiber and stronger than steel. The front side panels are thermoplastic; the rear deck lid is sheet molding compound. Considerable use of aluminum shaves the M6's weight to just 3,771 pounds. The M6's subsequently lower center of gravity, short wheelbase and wide track contribute to its superior handling.

Out on the Ascari circuit, with all programmable systems maxed, the M6 is transformed from a surprisingly tractable street machine into an animalistic M-weapon that's just short of a competition coupe.

Hot to Handle
Switch off DSC and you can drift the M6 with aplomb. The third-generation SMG works wonderfully, blipping the throttle expertly before blindingly fast downshifts and upshifting with agility that will win most stoplight races. If you think you're pretty good, the M6 will make you feel invincible. Drivelogic has 11 possible settings. The higher the program, the quicker it shifts.

As you'd expect, the M6 is equipped with brakes whose stopping power would do credit to a racecar. Surprisingly, the massive ventilated discs employ twin-piston calipers all around, but they work so well, you won't be speculating why they're not four-pot fronts. The forged aluminum wheels, big 19-inchers with five double spokes each, are 4 pounds lighter than conventional alloys, further reducing unsprung weight. Specially developed tires — 255/40ZR-19s in front and 285/35ZR-19s in back — offer killer grip in wet or dry conditions. There's no spare, but if you do get a flat, there's a MMS Mobility System patch kit that will seal a hole up to 6mm.

Underneath, the alloy suspension retains the 6 Series' geometry, with a tad more negative camber to compensate for the M6's driving dynamics and likely higher suspension loads. The Servotronic steering is road- and engine-speed sensitive.

The rear end's Variable M Differential lock splits traction and supplies more to the wheel with the best grip in nanoseconds. This is especially helpful when you're accelerating out of a tight turn, and as much as 100 percent of the power can go to one drive wheel if that's where the grip is. The M Dynamic mode (BMW suggests you just use this feature on a track) is a DSC subfunction that intervenes only when the M6 is at its absolute cornering limits. A little light flashes to tell you M Dynamic is activated, but you'll be too busy countersteering to see it!

Breeding Between the Lines
We found a lot to like about the way Chris Bangle and his styling crew rearranged some of the M6's visual highlights. There's its aggressive front airdam with two large cooling slots in the lower corners flanking the wide central grille. And its distinctly wedge-shaped profile further enhances a dramatic BMW styling theme seen most recently in the latest 3 Series.

Twin, sharply drawn character lines emerge from the narrowly focused headlights, then split at the A-pillar to define the racy roofline, then simultaneously streak rearward to embrace the slightly raised (and aerodynamically efficient) deck lid and rear diffuser. The side sills are more aggressively cut than the standard M6's. We're told they optimize airflow along the underfloor (which itself has been designed to best manage aerodynamics) while visually accentuating the car's length. Like many cars, the M6 is color sensitive: Indianapolis Red is a surefire "ticket me, Officer" shade, while Sepang Bronze is more subdued, along with Alpine White nonmetallic. The car flat-out disappears in Interlagos Blue. Best bet? Go for the Silverstone II M metallic.

So Deep Within
Inside, you get it all: a twin-shroud dash that separates the serious driving accoutrements from the nav system and other center stack ancillaries. We loved the kilometer-deep, fabulously supportive bucket seats with electronic lumbar support and side bolsters; the large, easy-to-read instrument dials; a fat, grippy race-oriented steering wheel; excellent fit and posh finishes; scads of Merino quality leather and aluminum; and every possible safety aid.

What Price, Paradise?
Although U.S. prices are far from determined yet, figure on around $100 grand when the M6 hits dealerships in May of next year. It will likely come standard with virtually every BMW luxo-option — you can always pay a bit more for such niceties as full Merino leather upholstery, with the dashboard, door and rear side panels covered in soft napa, Pianopaint Black, Madeira or Carrera wood trim and even an Alcantara headliner.

As we returned to our hotel from spirited track driving at Ascari, the temptation to pass long lines of slow-moving SEATs occurred again and again. Naturally, we couldn't always resist. The fact that we're writing this safely back in the good old USA is fortuitous — the M6 will tempt you to test its high limits; it certainly seduced us.

First Impressions:
This puppy will outaccelerate a Porsche 911 Carrera S to 60 mph; it's more agile than a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti at far less than half the price; and its unique seven-speed sequential manual gearbox snaps off shifts in Sport mode faster than you can blink— or even think about it.

Featured Specs:
- The fastest, quickest production car BMW has ever built
- 507-bhp normally aspirated 5.0-liter V10 (500 hp in U.S. trim)
- 7-speed sequential manual gearbox
- Variable speed-sensing M Differential
- New-generation Dynamic Stability Control
- Electronic Damper Control
Source: Edmunds.com

Last edited by Yumcha; 06-27-2005 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Senior Moderator

And yes, I want this car...

It's one of the few new BMWs that I really like...
Old 06-27-2005, 05:43 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Very nice!

...but does it Transform?
Old 06-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Very nice!

...but does it Transform?
Yes...That's the new iteration of Windcharger...and you call yourself a Transfan...
Old 06-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2007 BMW M6 - - The laid-back should inquire elsewhere. - - BY TONY QUIROGA - - July 2005 - - Source: CarandDriver.com

When the 2007 M6 is trucked to BMW showrooms next May, it will mark 20 years since the U.S. debut of the first M-division-massaged 6-series. Things have truly changed in those 20 years. Back then, an alien named ALF and four postmenopausal Golden Girls passed as TV entertainment for the masses, and 256 horsepower and a 0-to-60 time of 6.1 seconds were stimulating enough to land the first M6 on our July 1987 cover. Today, Toyota's large family car, the Avalon, has more horsepower than that first M6 and accelerates faster. So despite the Golden Girls' inexplicable survival in syndication, the world moved on and has arguably improved. And so, to keep up with the times, the second-ever M6 enters the present day with 500 horsepower and performance that would have crushed even the supercars of 1987.

Essentially a shortened, two-door version of the upcoming four-door M5, the M6 shares many of its internal organs with the M5. Foremost is the 500 horsepower V-10 created by BMW's M-division engineers who probably watch Formula 1 races religiously and don't enjoy shows about the perplexities confronting middle-aged women or, for that matter, visiting aliens. Even when zinged to the 8250-rpm redline, the 40-valve DOHC engine never feels stressed or wanting for anything, certainly not horsepower. Acceleration is fierce, and shifts from the seven-speed sequential manual gearbox (known as SMG and shared with the M5) are so brutally fast that you kind of feel guilty about those gears giving up their lives to shave that 10th of a second off your lap time. If you don't like the paddle shifter of the SMG, BMW will, almost begrudgingly, offer a traditional six-speed manual with obligatory clutch pedal and all, but about a year after launch for those who prefer to abuse gears in the traditional manner.

Keeping the M6 grounded is a chassis setup that is nearly identical to the M5's except for the tuning of the springs and dampers. Struts suspend the front wheels, and a multilink arrangement in back does its best to keep the rears out of arrears. Tire sizes mirror those of the M5: 255/40R-19s in front and wider 285/35R-19 rears putting the power to the ground. The M6s we drove at the Ascari racetrack in southern Spain wore Pirelli P Zero Corsa race tires—these soft tires (tread-wear rating of 60) are unlikely to make it onto production M6s. On the approximately three-mile circuit, the M6 displayed easy-to-explore limits that erred on the side of understeer. In slower corners, the front tires held on long enough to give way to full-throttle, tail-out antics, provided the stability control was completely disabled. The chewing-gum-in-the-hair Pirelli ringers certainly made the M6 less prone to power oversteer than the M5, which is shod with more conventional, longer-lasting Continental ContiSportContact 2s, which will be the standard tire on the M6.

With or without the gumball Pirellis, an M6 at 10/10ths is hard on its tires, despite the M division's attempt to rein in the weight. It's still heavy at an estimated 3900 pounds, but the clever M boys worked to move the center of gravity of the M6 inward and down to ease the stress of directional changes. The idea is to make the M6 behave less like a pendulum. Carbon-fiber composite is present in the front and rear bumpers as well as the roof. The weight saving from the carbon-fiber pieces is about 30 pounds, and the result is that the M6 feels smaller than the shadow it casts would indicate.

Fat is also trimmed from the wheels. Stunning five-spoke forged aluminum 19-inchers are used instead of the 10-spoke cast aluminum wheels that are on the M5. The forged wheels reduce weight at each corner by nearly four pounds. Behind the lighter wheels are the same brakes found on the M5. Large single-piston calipers clamp down on the rotors and retard speed—time and time again. For our track outing, the production brake pads were swapped for harder, more-fade-resistant pads that bit hard but made more noise than poseur owners would likely tolerate. Mercedes takes a slightly different approach with the brakes on its AMG cars, favoring a stiffer caliper with as many pistons as it can cram within the wheel. BMW achieves similar results with a simpler caliper.

The approach to braking isn't the only difference between the M6 and its obvious competition, the CLS55 AMG. With the Benz you get a luxurious four-seater with slingshot acceleration, and it's easy on the eyes. The M6, with its naturally aspirated, high-revving engine, doesn't have the laid-back nature of the Benz's supercharged V-8. The BMW V-10 is more involving and spirited than the AMG offering, and those characteristics extend to the rest of the car, from the SMG to the willing chassis to the angry-catfish exterior.

The M6 will do an acceptable impersonation of luxury, but its true purpose seems to be making the driver think he's F1 pilot Mark Webber. In seventh gear, the V-10 settles into the background, and you might think you're in the far more pedestrian 645Ci. But as soon as you mat the accelerator and the gearbox drops down three gears, the engine's wail will quickly remind you that this is no ordinary 6-series.

Still, we'd probably opt for the M5. The performance is nearly the same as that of the less practical M6, and it's just more outrageous to challenge 911s in a sedan than a coupe. Maybe that's why there has been a constant string of M5s since the wine-cooler era and this is only the second M6, ever.

2007 BMW M6
Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe
Estimated base price: $90,000
Engine type: DOHC 40-valve V-10, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
Displacement: 305 cu in, 4999cc
Power (SAE net): 500 bhp @ 7750 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 384 lb-ft @ 6100 rpm
Transmission: 7-speed manual with automated shifting and clutch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wheelbase: 109.5 in
Length/width/height: 191.8/73.0/54.2 in
Curb weight: 3900 lb
Performance ratings (mfr's est):
Zero to 62 mph: 4.6 sec
Top speed (governor limited): 155 mph
Projected fuel economy (mfr's est):
European urban cycle: 10 mpg
extra-urban cycle: 23 mpg
combined: 16 mpg
Old 06-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

From the Edmunds test:

The peak torque, 383 pound-feet, comes at 6,100 rpm but you get 80 percent of it from 3,500 to 5,500 rpm, just where you want it.
So you get about 306 pounds of torque from 3,500 to 5,500 rpm. I dont know. This car should feel like it does not pull hard at all! This is pretty much the torque you get from the VQ35 for God's sake! Not a big fan of these stats on paper. I bet the 7 speed tranny saves the day in the end. As always for BMW ("saved" by super low gear ratios).
Old 06-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Considerable use of aluminum shaves the M6's weight to just 3,771 pounds.
Just 3771 pounds ah?

Sometimes I feel like all journalists are paid by BMW to act like they have been testing the best car ever tested. I know it's not so but why are all these people mostly super excited before even setting a foot in a BMW car? Is there so much power in marketing and how it changes perception? I am asking this question when I supposedly studied marketing...extensively (again supposedly).

I swear, if this was the Z06 weighing 3771 pounds, they'd be RIPPING THE SHIT OUT OF. Anyone disagree?

Bottom line, this is one heavy ass M-car, no matter what the peak HP.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The M6s we drove at the Ascari racetrack in southern Spain wore Pirelli P Zero Corsa race tires—these soft tires (tread-wear rating of 60) are unlikely to make it onto production M6s.

treat wear rating of 60?

So wait. If truly these tires do not make it to production, which I totally doubt they will as they will probably last about 3 months worth of M6-type driving, what is BMW doing here? Basically using race tires to impress the...press? No rhyme intended.

I don't get this. I dont wonna sound like Lutz but there is clear percpetion out there that BMW (and other manufacturers) will ALWAYS make better cars than the competition and no Mr. reader we dont have to even test the car to find out cos we know it will happen again, just because it happened before.

No bashing of C&D directly here at all. Actually they have made a huge effort to be very unbiased during the past 3 years, especially on BMW offerings. But look at BMW doing something unheard of (this tire incident) and no one really bashing them till the end of the...article. If GM even thought about trying to pull a stint like this, what do you think we'd be reading here?

And if this wasnt enough:

For our track outing, the production brake pads were swapped for harder, more-fade-resistant pads that bit hard but made more noise than poseur owners would likely tolerate.
I mean...let's give jouranlists the C6R to test when they come to check out the new Z06. Why not?
Old 06-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Racer

Yeah, the car has no torque especially compared to the AMG cars. You have to rev the hell outta it. And its a pig, its huge in size but the interior dimensions are very tight. Its as big as a 5 series.

But it has grown on me tons in looks and reading about it.

Gav, great points, they really DIDN'T drive a production M6.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
Yeah, the car has no torque especially compared to the AMG cars. You have to rev the hell outta it. And its a pig, its huge in size but the interior dimensions are very tight. Its as big as a 5 series.

But it has grown on me tons in looks and reading about it.

Gav, great points, they really DIDN'T drive a production M6.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by gavriil
Just 3771 pounds ah?

Sometimes I feel like all journalists are paid by BMW to act like they have been testing the best car ever tested. I know it's not so but why are all these people mostly super excited before even setting a foot in a BMW car? Is there so much power in marketing and how it changes perception? I am asking this question when I supposedly studied marketing...extensively (again supposedly).

I swear, if this was the Z06 weighing 3771 pounds, they'd be RIPPING THE SHIT OUT OF. Anyone disagree?

Bottom line, this is one heavy ass M-car, no matter what the peak HP.
Thing is this is a luxury car first, not a purpose built sports car so 4k+ lbs are expected. 3771lbs is impressive for what the car is supposed to be. The 03-04 cobras weigh as much, as well as my vr4 (when stock), and a supra 200lbs less.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,337 Likes on 5,251 Posts
can't compare this car to a Z06...

the Z06 is a purpose-built street legal race car based off a sports car, the standard Corvette.

the M6 is a sports car that sure has a lot of power but is built off of a luxury car.

it would be better to compare the M6 to something like the CLK or CL55...
Old 06-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SM-4
Thing is this is a luxury car first, not a purpose built sports car so 4k+ lbs are expected. 3771lbs is impressive for what the car is supposed to be. The 03-04 cobras weigh as much, as well as my vr4 (when stock), and a supra 200lbs less.
After sitting in a 645, the interior does not give you a feeling of 70-80k let alone the 100k this car is asking. ITs very, very overpriced. The interior is no better than a 330, IMO. And BMWs should be about SPORT first, luxury second.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,337 Likes on 5,251 Posts
oops... ^^^ what he said
Old 06-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Instructor

3771 pounds

treadwear rating of 60

"production brake pads were swapped for harder, more-fade-resistant pads"
Gav's right. This car is seriously overrated. It's twice the price of a CTS-V, but nowhere near twice the car.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Corbas? You mean the Mustang Cobra? If yes, it weighs more than 100 pounds less, but above all, that's a $40K vehicle. It's 40% the M6's price. I think expecting better from a 100K vehicle is reasonable.

The Supra is a billion years old, plus it was also half or less than half the price of this M6. Ditto for the VR4, plus it's got AWD, which makes it 150-200 pounds heavier to start with.

No excuses. This M6, for its price and segment, is very, very porky. And for Edmunds to call it "just 3771 pounds" is rediculous and biased, at best.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by srika
can't compare this car to a Z06...

the Z06 is a purpose-built street legal race car based off a sports car, the standard Corvette.

the M6 is a sports car that sure has a lot of power but is built off of a luxury car.

it would be better to compare the M6 to something like the CLK or CL55...
My example to the Z06 was mostly made so that I picked a GM vehicle. OK here is a better example. The XLRV. Same argument, same principle/s.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
After sitting in a 645, the interior does not give you a feeling of 70-80k let alone the 100k this car is asking. ITs very, very overpriced. The interior is no better than a 330, IMO. And BMWs should be about SPORT first, luxury second.

I sat in a 645 twice, both coupe and vert and I wholehartertedly agree with the above.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by quantmonkey
Gav's right. This car is seriously overrated.
Seriously overrated is nothing but the whole truth.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:46 AM
Cruisin'

Corbas? You mean the Mustang Cobra? If yes, it weighs more than 100 pounds less, but above all, that's a $40K vehicle. It's 40% the M6's price. I think expecting better from a 100K vehicle is reasonable.

The Supra is a billion years old, plus it was also half or less than half the price of this M6. Ditto for the VR4, plus it's got AWD, which makes it 150-200 pounds heavier to start with.

No excuses. This M6, for its price and segment, is very, very porky. And for Edmunds to call it "just 3771 pounds" is rediculous and biased, at best.

Having never sat in a 6 i can't say anything about the appointments of the interior. The point is some sacrifices in weight have to be made considering its a 4 seater luxury coupe with the dimensions of a 5 series. If they were to build this car from the ground up as an M model then maybe it would be a different story.

BTW 03-04 cobras weigh 3780lbs and SL55's weigh ~4200lbs, XLRVs weigh 3800...
Old 06-30-2005, 12:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Having never sat in a 6 i can't say anything about the appointments of the interior. The point is some sacrifices in weight have to be made considering its a 4 seater luxury coupe with the dimensions of a 5 series. If they were to build this car from the ground up as an M model then maybe it would be a different story.
First, the 6 series offering is not a 4 seater coupe in theory, nor in reality.

In theory it's a 2+2. There are very few 4 seater coupes available, even in theory.

In reality, it's a 2 seater coupe because if and when you sit in one and position yourself in any of the front seats assuming you are 5.10 or taller and then go back and see how much space is left for the "rear passengers" you will find it difficult to put even a 4th grader back there. There is NO room left for the legs (let alone knees).

So, the above is against anyone's argument who's trying to justify the weight of an M6. Even a 645i for that matter.

But I do see your overall point. It's derived from the 645i and it will inherit a lot of the weight. But wait. They have added carbon fiber reinforced plastic and used magnesium and took so many other weight loss measures. Then priced it at 100K. The car still weighs 3800 pounds! That's heavy for a coupe, let alone a coupe coming from the M division of BMW. And when you consider the price, it's super heavy. I dont think arguing further on that will help in any way. The car is very heavy when you consider everything about it.

But what bothered me the most is the "just 3771 pounds" comment from Edmunds. And I made that clear.

BTW 03-04 cobras weigh 3780lbs and SL55's weigh ~4200lbs, XLRVs weigh 3800...

Again you're wrong. As I said, the Cobra is more than 100 pounds lighter than the M6 and it's 2-3 years old and it's 40% the M6's price.

Here is proof:

2003 and 2004 Cobra
Curb Weight: 3665 lbs.

Source: Edmunds, the one that wrote the review
Old 06-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry, i was looking at the vert, Motor trend lists it as 3780

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coup...et/index3.html

Anyways i'm not trying to justify the price as I would never spend 100k for that car, just saying that the "just 3771 pounds" was likely in comparison to other luxury sporty cars in its class.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Instructor

And for Edmunds to call it "just 3771 pounds" is rediculous and biased, at best.
The GTO is "just" 3800 pounds.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

New for 2006

650i (367HP / 490Nm) replacing 645Ci
Start / Stop engine button standard, optional comfort access available.

LightAssistant (automaticly switches the "long" beam light on/off depending on conditions on street) available for 5, 6 and 7-series.

New generation of DSC+ standard on all DSC equipped models.

3D Navigation display with Bird-View standard on NAV Pro system.

Particle filter standard for all diesel engines .

Source: BMW

Quick Reply: BMW: 6-Series News