Bentley: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008 | 05:07 PM
styling on you

Bentley: Development and Technology News

"The world's best in-car audio experience" is a lofty claim for Bentley's new 1100-watt system by Naim, what with the Lexus LS460's fantastic Mark Levinson system, Audi's B&O components, and a few others. But Bentley does have the advantage that its customers will pay any premium to have the best, meaning there are no cost limitations as with lesser (relatively, of course) brands. Pricing hasn't been announced for the Naim system, but it will feature as many as fifteen speakers (Continental GT and Flying Spur) and as few as eleven (Arnage, Azure, and Brooklands.) This is the first partnership between these two luxurious British brands, and it is also the first commercial use of next-generation Digital Signal Processing that offers an "as-live" in-car experience. Sure, the Lexus may have nineteen speakers (with two in the headliner) but this new Bentley system surely promises to challenge and beat that system.

Full Release

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/news/Be...o_System.shtml

I wonder how much it's going to be? Probably upwards of 10k I'm guessing.
Old 02-20-2008 | 05:22 PM
Senior Moderator

cool. Better sound good
Old 02-20-2008 | 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Here's hoping a car company one day adopts Nakamichi into their sound system!
Old 02-20-2008 | 06:38 PM
Back in a TL again.

dayyymmm it better feel like who ever is singing is in the car with you..
Old 02-20-2008 | 07:32 PM
6MT G37

Oh hell yeah im gonna trade in my Tsx for one of those bad boys
Old 02-20-2008 | 07:39 PM
styling on you

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Lexus adopted Nakamichi sound systems in some of their cars, but have since ditched them for Mark Levinson.
Old 02-20-2008 | 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Yumchah

Why??? Mid-fi junk at best. The one piece of Nak worth owning was their cassette decks back in the day, the Dragon (and of course the 1000zxl) was an excellent piece I got years of use out of. In the 80's they just went to crap and filed bankruptcy in 01 or 02 their gear now is not even mid-fi. Niro Nakamichi started making some good stuff with his Mechanical Research Corp but never got any traction now he just makes some HTIB systems which are "lifestyle" type stuff not a whole lot better than B(L)ose.

As for Naim I love their seperates but not a fan of their front ends and their speakers are well an aquired taste. They use Scan drivers which I usually love but they fatigue me in the Naims. Interesting how they will integrate their flexible speaker paradigm in a car. The other thing I don't like about them is they preach about the right and wrong way to do things then a couple of years later they flip flop and say the opposite.

Shame I will never get to hear any of their systems in a car but they will surely be lauded by the mostly non-audiophile car press types.
Old 02-20-2008 | 08:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
Lexus adopted Nakamichi sound systems in some of their cars, but have since ditched them for Mark Levinson.

Mark Levinson another basterdized name. Although ML is still a hi-fi level company Mark "moved on" and started Red Rose, ML is still trading on name and not up to the level of its former greatness.
Old 02-20-2008 | 08:32 PM
styling on you

Originally Posted by ilitig8
Mark Levinson another basterdized name. Although ML is still a hi-fi level company Mark "moved on" and started Red Rose, ML is still trading on name and not up to the level of its former greatness.
What do you think is the best car sound system that's factory? Just curious

I read somewhere that the ML system in the LS460 is the best out there right now, even besting the B&O in the A8.

But anyways, sound is subjective anyway.
Old 02-20-2008 | 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
What do you think is the best car sound system that's factory? Just curious

I read somewhere that the ML system in the LS460 is the best out there right now, even besting the B&O in the A8.

But anyways, sound is subjective anyway.
For me hands down it is the Dynaudio in the last gen C70. The speakers are a 90% of the game particularly in a car with limited mechanical isolation for the front end and pre and amp. Dynaudio is a SPEAKER manufacturer who not only makes ultra high-end speakers but also drivers that are used in some of the best speakers in the world, they also have ultra-high end pre and amps but bring well over 100K to get in that door (though I don't think they are produced anymore) as speakers go their Evidence Master is the most breathtaking full range speaker I have every had the pleasure of listening to but then again you would figure a system that costs about the same as 5 TSXs better sound pretty amazing!

Now the ML systems I have heard in cars are great but don't touch me like the good Danes do, then again I love their drivers (particularly their mid-woofs) and all my two channel systems for the last 15 years have had Dynaudio drivers in them. Since speakers are very much a taste issue (along with your choice of program material) many people would differ. Now I have not heard the new LS system and I bet it beats the C70 on the road due to much lower ambient sound levels, my love of the C70 system is based on critical listening in a quiet closed garage with the engine off because in the end the "room" acoustics are as if not more important than the speakers.

Just FYI on the Dynaudio Arbiter amp (nothing like a DC powered home amp!!)

http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/...ter/arbamp.htm

Last edited by ilitig8; 02-20-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2008 | 06:08 AM
Suzuka Master

My grandparents have the 19 speaker ML in their LS460. Too bad the station has never been changed off the AM band
Old 02-21-2008 | 09:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Wonder what Acura's gonna do to step up their game in the audio department, considering their benchmarks are Bentley and Rolls?
Old 02-21-2008 | 10:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Wonder what Acura's gonna do to step up their game in the audio department, considering their benchmarks are Bentley and Rolls?
A live band inside every Acura
Old 11-25-2010 | 11:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Porsche, Bentley: Collaboration news

From Autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/25/r...-with-bentley/

Porsche and Bentley are related under the Volkswagen Group umbrella, and a new rumor suggests that the two might become kissing cousins. Autocar had a chance to speak with Porsche CEO Matthias Müller, and the head honcho of the German sports car vehicle brand says that a collaboration with Bentley could help push future Panamera variants foward. Per Müller,

"I think we have to discuss with Bentley whether we can put together our performance, our engineers. It should be possible."

He goes on to state that sticking to just a four-door sports car is boring. The Panamera should be revised into a handful of iterations, and Müller uses terms like "van", "combi" and "longer." If you are a Porsche loyalist, we'll give you a minute to restart your heart.

One variant we hope the Brits and the Germans can breathe life into? A Porsche 928. There have been rumors and speculation for years now, so perhaps this inter-brand teamwork is just what the doctor (would have) ordered.
Old 07-24-2014 | 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Bentley Confirms Fifth Model Line

Bentley will add an SUV to its lineup in 2016 but just a couple of years later the British automaker will launch another model line, expanding its lineup to five distinct offerings. The information was revealed by Bentley CEO Wolfgang Dürheimer.

Dürheimer, who also heads Bugatti, said there were two possibilities on the table for the fifth model line: a two-seater sports car or a more conventional offering (possibly a four-door coupe) positioned between the Continental GT and Mulsanne lines.

“Our designers are extremely busy right now preparing designs for each of them and we are preparing business cases,” Dürheimer told Auto Express. “We will make the decision when we have more information.”

But there are additional new Bentleys in the works, hinted the German exec. He said Bentley was looking at additional Continental GT variants plus a range of hybrids. And if that wasn’t enough, Dürheimer also hinted at a new generation of the Azure convertible and its Brooklands coupe sibling, both based on the Mulsanne platform.

“In Crewe you used to see a very nice convertible called Azure—we also had it [a Mulsanne Convertible concept] as a hidden car in Pebble Beach in 2011,” Dürheimer said. “I hear from our customers that there is remarkable demand for a car like this, and if we do the Azure, the Brooklands just comes automatically.”

It looks like the coming years will be very busy for Bentley and its team in Crewe, England.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...fth-model-line
Old 06-05-2020 | 07:45 AM

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33825/...-in-production

Once a mainstay of cars and trucks across the globe, the V8 is now starting to look like an endangered species. The impending death of the CT6-V will soon displace Cadillac's precious Blackwing from its natural habitat, and for V8s of the Toyota variety, the clock is already ticking. For Bentley's historic 6.75-liter V8, the situation is even more urgent, as the species welcomed what will be its final new member on Tuesday, June 2.

Like its 36,000 forebears, the final Bentley six-and-three-quarter was hand-built by a small team of technicians in Crewe, whose seven members have a combined 105 years' experience building these V8s. This era-punctuating engine will live out its life under the hood of the last Bentley Mulsanne 6.75 Edition, a commemorative, one-of-30 model constructed by the company's in-house coachbuilder Mulliner.

Originally engineered in the 1950s when Bentley and Rolls-Royce shared a roof, the L-series V8 first powered the 1959 Bentley S2 in 6.25-liter guise. There, it made a modest 180 horsepower. After gaining 0.3 inches of stroke in 1968 to become the 6.75 as well as a Garrett turbocharger in 1982, power grew to around 300 horse in the Mulsanne Turbo, the marque's first forced-induction model since the "Blower Bentleys" of the 1920s.

Though the 6.75's days as a Rolls-Royce engine ended with the Corniche in 2002, the engine's golden era were still ahead. In 2010, Bentley substantially redesigned the 6.75, updating its crankshaft, adding cylinder deactivation and variable valve timing, and most importantly, a second turbocharger, which puffed power up to 530 horse and 774 pound-feet of torque. That's nearly triple the engine's original power output, which is made all the more impressive by the fact that Bentley reduced its emissions by over 99 percent.

As every L-series from the first 6.25 to the final 6.75 shared the same bore spacing and block architecture, the 6.75 is considered the longest-produced V8 in history, its 61-year run eclipsing even the Chevrolet small-block's 49-year lifespan.

Though Bentley's new flagship sedan, the Flying Spur, won't have a V8, the engine configuration won't be gone from the British automaker's portfolio. Four-liter, twin-turbo units will still be available in the Continental GT and Bentayga, though being Audi-derived engines at heart, they won't inspire drivers to wave the Union Jack like the ole six-and-three-quarter did.
Old 06-07-2020 | 01:57 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I guess the Tesla effect is working.