Apple: Infotainment news

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Apple: Infotainment news

Although virtually every new car now comes with iPod integration of some sort, Apple itself, the maker of the iPod, has yet to get directly involved with said integration.

But it appears that could possibly change as China Car Times came across a head hunting post on LinkedIn that suggests Apple is seeking a “Supplier Quality Engineer/New Product Integration supervisor with experience in CNC/die casting/stamping/plastic injection,” according to a report by Jalopnik.

Should this applicant request be accurate, it could mean one of two things: either Apple is finally getting very serious about creating its own integrated products for the automotive space, or, the company is simply doing some minor testing or development of existing products or possibly for accessories to be used with existing products.

Should Apple truly seek to become a player in the automotive sector to the extent that its arch-rival Microsoft already is, the company will need to find an Apple-esque game-changing product to bust into a somewhat crowded space. One thing Apple could count on, however, is the fact that some of the world’s largest automakers, including General Motors and Volkswagen, both lack ties to Microsoft’s infotainment software or hardware currently found in products like Ford’s Sync, Kia’s UVO or Toyota’s Entune.

It is also possible that the appearance of Apple products in both VW and Mercedes-Benz concept cars in the recent past could hint at a possible tie-up between the electronics giant and the automakers. For now, all we can do is sit and wait for something else to pop up as Apple is unlikely to spill the beans until they are good and ready.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/apple-hu...ent-space.html
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
That is really reaching - how one jumps from that vacancy announcement to Apple working on car infotainment systems is beyond me.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:07 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Is this speculation due to MB using Siri in their systems?

Hard to believe.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:07 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
Its an interesting speculation...but not totally surprising if were to turn out to be true.

I for one would think it really cool...drive into your garage/parking within realm of your wifi network and have your car sync with itunes ala your iPhone/ipad.

Also...lots of cars (toyota) are now coming with 3G like access in their infotainment set ups for certain applications.

So...itunes store in your car...buy an album as your stuck in traffic...smart.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:08 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Apple would be foolish not to get into this market.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 PM
The Third Ball

complete handsfree integration of my iPhone...and Siri to run my car...kinda badass
Old 03-02-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Its an interesting speculation...but not totally surprising if were to turn out to be true.

I for one would think it really cool...drive into your garage/parking within realm of your wifi network and have your car sync with itunes ala your iPhone/ipad.

Also...lots of cars (toyota) are now coming with 3G like access in their infotainment set ups for certain applications.

So...itunes store in your car...buy an album as your stuck in traffic...smart.
Speaking as someone who loves both cars and gadgets, I must say I find this kind of thing (as you've described) to be absolutely............AWESOME!
The following users liked this post:
Sarlacc (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 02:17 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by ttribe
Speaking as someone who loves both cars and gadgets, I must say I find this kind of thing (as you've described) to be absolutely............AWESOME!
Just stuff I thought when coming up with the ideas they could possibly do...I'm if they are dabbling in this field, they have thought that up and more.

There is ONLY one thing...and one big thing that would make me think apple would NOT get into this field.

And that is their biggest thing ever....design.

In order to do this apple would probably have to relinquish control over design, and I'm not sure that is something they could/would do.

Other wise they are basically licensing their software to 3rd parties...and the just don't do that.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Just stuff I thought when coming up with the ideas they could possibly do...I'm if they are dabbling in this field, they have thought that up and more.

There is ONLY one thing...and one big thing that would make me think apple would NOT get into this field.

And that is their biggest thing ever....design.

In order to do this apple would probably have to relinquish control over design, and I'm not sure that is something they could/would do.

Other wise they are basically licensing their software to 3rd parties...and the just don't do that.
Indeed. Their closed business practices would be an impediment to moving into this area.