AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/acura-sales-marketing-financial-news-387118/)

dom 01-05-2006 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by gavriil
This is no new news. Look for the RDX thread in this forum for more info.

Gav, he's reffering to the latest news about the 2.3L Turbo which has been confirmed for the prototype. I just bumped the thread.

phile 01-05-2006 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by dom
Gav, he's reffering to the latest news about the 2.3L Turbo which has been confirmed for the prototype. I just bumped the thread.

Yup. But I still wonder how credible it is...since when do we even know anything from Acura's own mouth before a product is released??

dom 01-05-2006 08:12 AM

What is Acura Style magazine anyway? I just presumed it was something similar to the expressions magazine we get here in Canada. It has product profiles and gives some small info about future products.

F23A4 01-05-2006 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by vincentliwf
yes...that was my thinking too!!!!!!!!!!!

Lexus --> Mercedes-Benz
reason: Luxury and comfort

Acura --> BMW
reason: Handling and performance

Infiniti --> Audi
reason: Both Almost being closed down before (Nissan (1999), Audi (1994?))
From what I 've heard is that the 1st gen A4 had saved Audi's live.

Also, what I 've read before is that Acura will be launched by 08 in Japan...
finally... we will see ACURAs in Japan and those USDM Hondas will not be longer to compare with Acuras and saying that Acura = Honda :wish:
esp. those Accord Coupe-ers saying Accord Coupe is a JDM Inspire :yum:

:what:

While I will agree that Acura leans much more towards BMW sportiness than MB luxury, I really wouldnt consider both brands comparable...particularly in the US Market. On the otherhand, the meat of Infiniti's lineup is much more similar to BMW than Audi:

G35C - 330Ci (CL=DOA 2003)
G35S/X - 330i/Xi (The TL does a pretty good job of competing in this category; although enthusiasts are turned off by the FWD.)
FX35/45 - X5 3.0/4.4/4.6 (the MDX is nice but really doesnt compete with the X5 or FX)
M35/M45 - 530i/550i (The RL can really only compete well with the M35/530; the V8s of the M45 and 550i are in a different league.)

:2cents:

gavriil 01-24-2006 04:37 PM

Currently there are some loose rumors that Honda will be changing its name for its Formula 1 participation to BAR Acura some time in the next 3 years. Let me remind you that Acura will be launched in Japan for the first time some time in the fall of 2008.

Crazy Bimmer 01-24-2006 06:04 PM

So in the future, acura nameplate will actually have racing history?

Good marketing. IMO

Moog-Type-S 01-24-2006 06:13 PM

Currently there are some loose rumors that Honda will be changing its name for its Formula 1 participation to BAR Acura some time in the next 3 years. Let me remind you that Acura will be launched in Japan for the first time some time in the fall of 2008.

:thumbsup: Good Move. Put some prestige behind the Acura nameplate.

srika 01-24-2006 06:15 PM

BAR Acura??? what genius came up with that idea? I'm not buying it, it sounds too gimmicky. And what relation does BAR have with Acura? Aside from F1 (albeit Honda), nothing. At least with the other "tuner" names used by manufacturers (AMG, M, TRD, MUGEN, etc) - they actually USE the technology and resulting parts in actual production versions for the street. If they want racing heritage they should name them HONDA Acura. :) :2cents:

phile 01-24-2006 06:29 PM

Agreed. Smacks of gimmicky marketing.

jwong77 01-24-2006 07:41 PM

I think the point is to help put the Acura name into the minds of consumers world-wide, particularly in Japan where they expect to launch the brand in 2008. So you are right it is gimmicky marketing, but there is a purpose for it.

gocubsgo55 01-24-2006 07:49 PM

BAR Acura just sounds too cheesy; perhaps because we all won't fall for that gimmick.

Edward'TLS 01-24-2006 07:51 PM

Why "BAR" Acura ? BAR is no longer involved in F1 due to the banning of Tobacco advertising in the sport. Honda has taken up 100% stake of the race team.

srika 01-24-2006 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Why "BAR" Acura ? BAR is no longer involved in F1 due to the banning of Tobacco advertising in the sport. Honda has taken up 100% stake of the race team.

Good point!!!! You're absolutely correct. At this point in the game, it makes no sense for them to call it BAR anything... so WHY!?????

Anyway, according to the source post they are only "loose rumours" - and I hope they stay that way, never to see any fruition.

srika 01-24-2006 08:52 PM

"hey I got a new car!!!"

"oh damn, what did you get??!?!"

"a BAR Acura Civic Si!!!!"

"DAMNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!"

I'll tell you one thing... ricers would LOVE THIS.... can you imagine the rice potential with the BAR logo... damn.

gocubsgo55 01-24-2006 09:22 PM

they already have that shot with BAR Honda. Ricers don't have much knowledge of F1 anyway

GreenMonster 01-24-2006 09:48 PM

Hmmm... sounds interesting... Maybe Honda/Acura isn't messing around with trying to put a sportier face on acura. If they do go this route, we might end up seeing more sportier offerings from Acura :wish:

Ken1997TL 01-24-2006 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Hmmm... sounds interesting... Maybe Honda/Acura isn't messing around with trying to put a sportier face on acura. If they do go this route, we might end up seeing more sportier offerings from Acura :wish:

Thats what I'm hoping.

Yet these rumors of a DB9 wannabe NSX has me wondering.

TL CHROMETIDE 01-25-2006 12:41 AM

First off, what the hell is "BAR" ? and what's wrong about it?

ilitig8 01-25-2006 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
First off, what the hell is "BAR" ? and what's wrong about it?

BAR British American racing, sponsered by British American Tobacco, no longer in F1 due to the EU's Tobacco regs. I think some were confused that this would be associated with the road cars, I think the poster only meant it would be connected to the F1 team, and forgot BAR is out now since Honda bought the full stake in BAR/Honda when BAT no longer (obviously) wanted to pay the toll for a series they couldn't advertise in fully. I think the crux is that there have been rumors Honda will change the F1 teams name to Acura. IMO they need to focus on building a good chassis, they had another bright moment as an engine supplier in 2004 but I for one think it was just that a moment. The giants have woken back up and maybe Honda should have stuck to what it has done well in F1, engines. Honda has had very poor luck historically at building chassis...

srika 01-25-2006 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by ilitig8
BAR British American racing, sponsered by British American Tobacco, no longer in F1 due to the EU's Tobacco regs. I think some were confused that this would be associated with the road cars, I think the poster only meant it would be connected to the F1 team, and forgot BAR is out now since Honda bought the full stake in BAR/Honda when BAT no longer (obviously) wanted to pay the toll for a series they couldn't advertise in fully. I think the crux is that there have been rumors Honda will change the F1 teams name to Acura. IMO they need to focus on building a good chassis, they had another bright moment as an engine supplier in 2004 but I for one think it was just that a moment. The giants have woken back up and maybe Honda should have stuck to what it has done well in F1, engines. Honda has had very poor luck historically at building chassis...

:popcorn:

allmotor_2000 01-25-2006 05:48 AM

bar humbug... I think I should find a bar tonight!

Belzebutt 01-25-2006 09:27 AM

BAR-Acura... that sounds like some kind of fish.

Edward'TLS 01-25-2006 01:13 PM

It was the highlight back in 1994 when David Richards (of Prodrive) successfully propelled the BAR Honda team to claim the 2nd spot in F1 manufacturer championship. However, after he was kicked out from the team at the end of the 1994 season, there was some massive change in staff and the BAR Honda team began to go downhill during the 1995.

It was a disgrace for both BAR and Honda when a hidden fuel tank (tipped to the F1 officials by an ex-employee) was found in the cars in the 2005 San Marino GP, and the team was stripped off the ten points won in that race, in addition to an immediate two-race ban as a penalty. Even though the missing two races wouldn't make much difference in terms of BAR Honda's final dissappointing championship points, the racing spirit and enthusiasum in the team was utterly destroyed.

ilitig8 01-25-2006 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
It was the highlight back in 1994 when David Richards (of Prodrive) successfully propelled the BAR Honda team to claim the 2nd spot in F1 manufacturer championship. However, after he was kicked out from the team at the end of the 1994 season, there was some massive change in staff and the BAR Honda team began to go downhill during the 1995.

It was a disgrace for both BAR and Honda when a hidden fuel tank (tipped to the F1 officials by an ex-employee) was found in the cars in the 2005 San Marino GP, and the team was stripped off the ten points won in that race, in addition to an immediate two-race ban as a penalty. Even though the missing two races wouldn't make much difference in terms of BAR Honda's final dissappointing championship points, the racing spirit and enthusiasum in the team was utterly destroyed.

You mean 2004 for #2 in the WCC and when at the end DR left (mainly because he and Button had burned too many bridges) and Nick Fry came in and 2005 when they went down the dumper, 94 and 95.

TL CHROMETIDE 01-25-2006 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by ilitig8

Oh I see, Thanks.

Edward'TLS 01-25-2006 02:56 PM

My mistakes, you caught me.

Edit :

It was the highlight back in 2004 when David Richards (of Prodrive) successfully propelled the BAR Honda team to claim the 2nd spot in F1 manufacturer championship. However, after he was kicked out from the team at the end of the 2004 season, there was some massive change in staff and the BAR Honda team began to go downhill during the 2005.

F-C 01-25-2006 03:26 PM

I doubt the factory Honda F-1 team will ever be badged as Acura. However, if Super Aguri does a decent job in 2006, I could see them rebadging the engine as a Super Aguri-Acura.

Personally, I feel that Honda should compete in F-1 and Acura should go to Le Mans when the next NSX is ready.

Edward'TLS 01-25-2006 04:20 PM

It will take many, many miracles for the Super Aguri team to achieve some decent results this coming season, even if it finally makes it to the F1 starting grid this spring. Toyota is a good example. Even with its hugh financial backing and full control over chassis, engine, and aero developments, it still takes Toyota three years to secure the best results of 4th place in the Manufacturer Championship Points last season. It took BAR Honda even longer to secure the 2nd place back in 2004.

Edward'TLS 01-25-2006 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by F-C
Personally, I feel that Honda should compete in F-1 and Acura should go to Le Mans when the next NSX is ready.

Some factory supported MDX or Passport entries in the Dakar rally would be nice too.

srika 01-25-2006 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by F-C

best suggestion. Honda is already in F1, it would be sweet if the NSX gets into the Le Mans series. Hell they have tons of NSX's in JGTC, they should call it Takata-Acura or something.. BAR-Acura is just like, the worst idea.

Edward'TLS 01-25-2006 06:32 PM

A decade ago, the Comptech Racing Acura-Spice GTP Lights race car, powered by a modified Acura NSX engine, allowed driver Parker Johnstone to claim the IMSA Championships three years in a row from 1991 to 1993.

F-C 01-26-2006 09:46 AM

The NSX won the GT2 class at Le Mans years ago with a customer entry. I would prefer that Honda kill its stupid IRL program and put that budget into a proper factory backed next-gen NSX at Le Mans.

gavriil 01-26-2006 11:03 AM

Folks, this makes sense because there is a possibility that Honda may name the next NSX as Acura to all markets that Acura will be introduced. So naming their F1 team Acura, from Honda, would make sense to promote the whole sports car idea. However, it is an unconfirmed rumor currently.

F-C 01-26-2006 11:16 AM

Folks, this makes sense because there is a possibility that Honda may name the next NSX as Acura to all markets that Acura will be introduced. So naming their F1 team Acura, from Honda, would make sense to promote the whole sports car idea. However, it is an unconfirmed rumor currently.

Like I said, I doubt this will happen, since there is so much history of the Honda name in F1. A significant part of the Honda identity is linked to F1. The Acura name doesn't have much of a racing heritage besides lower tier championships in the US. Since Honda is really going to expand the Acura market soon with China and Japan, it makes sense to give the brand a racing image. But I doubt it will be with the F1 factory team.

M TYPE X 01-27-2006 11:06 AM

Acura in a tiff vs Lincoln

MDX vs MKX:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...601270358/1148

My comments: If there was a town of Ghey and all the luxury automakers lived there, they would have to grow a suburb of East Ghey [on the other side of the tracks] so that everyone could live in the same valley.

<= thinks alphanumeric model designations [you can hardly call them 'names'] are overrated

deandorsey 01-27-2006 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by M TYPE X
MDX vs MKX:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...601270358/1148

My comments: If there was a town of Ghey and all the luxury automakers lived there, they would have to grow a suburb of East Ghey [on the other side of the tracks] so that everyone could live in the same valley.

<= thinks alphanumeric model designations [you can hardly call them 'names'] are overrated

lmao!

dom 01-27-2006 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by M TYPE X

So says "M TYPE X". :tomato:

But I agree, this is getting out of hand. Too many xxX's out there.

Moog-Type-S 01-27-2006 11:21 AM

so many x's = :ghey:

mrdeeno 01-27-2006 11:24 AM

Anybody remember in Robocop 2 when the chick cop crashes into the dude in his new SUX?

mantis23 01-27-2006 11:26 AM

I wish I had an SUX 2000