Received 6,159 Likes on 4,040 Posts
cliffs?
Old 01-28-2021, 09:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow C&d

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-sh-awd-drive/

2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD: A Driver's Family Hauler

Acura's larger 3-row MDX benefits from significantly sharper handling and more technology.

By
Mike Sutton
Jan 28, 2021 View Photos

Michael SimariCar and Driver

Acura's driver-focused reboot is off to a strong start with its compelling new TLX sports sedan. But to be successful in today's SUV-crazed market, the brand's recipe for handling prowess also has to work on a hulking, 3-row utility vehicle. Fortunately for the redesigned 2022 MDX—which has outsold the TLX roughly 2 to 1 in recent years—it does.

The 4th-generation model's athleticism is surprising considering it's about 2 inches longer and wider than before and has a wheelbase that's 2.8 inches longer. The curb weight surges by 200 to 300 pounds, depending on the configuration. Despite that bloat, the new platform is also stiffer and features a switch from a strut front suspension to a control-arm setup that sharpens its manners and handling. Combined with direct but not overly quick variable-assist steering, the result is a reassuringly positive feel from its front end when turning into corners, regardless of the selected drive mode.
View Photos

Michael SimariCar and Driver
More on Acura MDX and TLX

2022 MDX Is More Expensive and Bigger Inside

Tested: Acura TLX Shows Signs of GreatnessA revised multilink rear suspension and adaptive dampers add to its nimble composure, as does a torque-vectoring rear differential on versions equipped with the Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system. Base models get 19-inch wheels, but most trims wear 20s shod with 255/50R-20 Bridgestone Alenza Sport A/S all-season tires. Ride quality on the big rollers is taut but never harsh. While road isolation is not as comprehensive as that of, say, an Audi Q7 or a Volvo XC90, the MDX has a responsiveness that's uncommon for a 7-seat vehicle nearly 200 inches long.

Power continues to come from a throaty-sounding 3.5-liter V-6 good for 290 horses, which now mates to an automatic transmission with 10 speeds, up from the previous 9. Gear swaps are smooth and well-coordinated. But given the MDX's sportier character, we'd like quicker responses from the 10-speed's paddles on the steering wheel. Still, we expect a respectable 60-mph run in about 6 seconds.
View Photos

Michael SimariCar and DriverA longer hood helps the MDX's handsomely creased bodywork more closely mimic rear-wheel-drive proportions. Inside, drivers will appreciate the standard front sport seats and smaller diameter, thicker-rimmed steering wheel. Technophiles will dig the bright 12.3-inch gauge-cluster and infotainment displays, although we maintain that, despite some updates, Acura's touchpad interface is no replacement for a well-executed touchscreen. Aluminum accents and open-pore wood trim combine with ambient lighting to give the MDX's cabin a rich, high-tech vibe that's commensurate with the $61,675 ask of the top Advance SH-AWD model we drove. Prices start at $47,925, a $2400 increase over the outgoing model.
View Photos

Michael SimariCar and DriverAdditional highlights include an available head-up display, 16-speaker ELS audio system with 710 watts, and a removable 2nd-row center console/seat that can convert the middle bench to captain's chairs. Rearmost riders benefit from easier access to an enlarged 3rd row plus raised bottom-seat cushions, but adults still won't want to sit back there for long. On the utility front, the MDX still tows up to 5000 pounds when properly equipped, and its aft cargo hold swallows 16 cubic feet behind the 3rd row, an increase of 1.

That the MDX's driver-centric evolution has brought any uptick in versatility is impressive. As with the TLX, this SUV's upcoming Type S model will get more interesting thanks to its 355-hp twin-turbo V-6 and larger brakes, wheels, and tires. But even in standard 290-hp form, the MDX's heightened connection with its pilot reinforces Acura's new direction.

Specifications

2022 Acura MDX

VEHICLE TYPE
front-engine, front- or all-wheel-drive, 7-passenger, 4-door wagon

BASE PRICE
MDX, $47,925; MDX SH-AWD, $49,925; MDX A-Spec, $58,125

ENGINE TYPE
SOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
Displacement
212 in3, 3471 cm3
Power
290 hp @ 6200 rpm
Torque
267 lb-ft @ 4700 rpm

TRANSMISSION
10-speed automatic

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 113.8 in
Length: 198.4 in
Width: 78.7 in
Height: 67.1 in
Passenger volume: 139 ft3
Cargo volume: 16 ft3
Curb weight (C/D est): 4250–4550 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST)
60 mph: 6.1–6.3 sec
1/4 mile: 14.8–15.1 sec
Top speed: 115 mph

EPA FUEL ECONOMY
Combined/city/highway: 21–22/19/25–26 mpg

Old 01-28-2021, 04:01 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Motor Trend wasn't as enamored with the new MDX, in particular, the interior.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...-drive-review/
Between a 2003 CL Type-S, a couple of RDXs, and one unforgettable night in a hybrid NSX, I've enjoyed every Acura I've owned or had a chance to drive. Their quality construction and spirited driving style pleased my practical side and enthusiast soul. Sure, they weren't opulent like some rivals, but Acura's approach to luxury felt sensible without tripping into frippery.

So when word arrived that I'd review the redesigned 2022 MDX, I was stoked. I was even more stoked when Acura delivered a top-of-the-line Advance model coated in elusive Phantom Violet Pearl paint. Yet, as I drove it, my fervor faded. For a vehicle that Acura proclaims is the "best-selling three-row luxury SUV of all time," this new fourth-generation MDX is missing a crucial part of that equation: luxury.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...iew-pros-cons/

First and foremost, know that the redesigned 2022 Acura MDX's interior is a big improvement from the outgoing model. That SUV's nice-for-a-Honda aesthetic and dual-screen infotainment setup were decidedly 2014. Not so for the new MDX, which takes on a distinctive, modern ambiance with more technology than any Acura before.

But that the MDX has outdone itself is no surprise—the real question is whether its cabin rivals other luxury three-row SUVs. Does it? Short answer: Even in the range-topping Advance model we drove, no. Long answer: Read on.

We'll have to wait on all the other reviews to see if MT'S viewpoint is an outlier, but do have to agree that the MDX's interior is more premium than luxury.

The next CX-9 should have an interior on par, if not better.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:04 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Alex on Autos

Old 01-28-2021, 06:09 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Looks like a real winner inside and out based on these reviews, except for the Motor Trend one (to the point that the negatives that they've pointed out are mostly contradicting with what others are saying, namely poor ride quality and interior luxury level). The 3G MDX has always been known to be a SUV with awesome handling in its class, and it seems like the bar has gone up even further.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:23 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb R&t

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a35353904/2022-acura-mdx-first-drive-review/

The 2022 Acura MDX Is Refreshingly Sporty

For a big SUV that seats 7, the new MDX is surprisingly fun to drive. And unsurprisingly easy to live with.

By
Chris Perkins
Jan 28, 2021 View Photos

Chris PerkinsIt's been fun to watch Acura become a sporty brand again. After years of making fine but uninspiring cars, Acura is injecting some personality into its lineup. The latest model to benefit from this reinvigoration is this, the 2021 MDX.
Related Story

The New TLX Is What an Acura Sport Sedan Should BeThe MDX is ubiquitous. Acura is proud to point out that this is the best-selling 3-row luxury crossover on the U.S. market, over 1 million sold since the MDX debuted back in 2000. It's one of those cars you see everywhere without noticing.

This 4th-generation MDX rides on an all-new platform that, at least for now, is unique to the model. Like the TLX sedan, the SUV has a double-wishbone front suspension and an expansive dash-to-axle that gives the MDX stately rear-drive proportions. It looks and feels like a different species compared to its predecessor, handsome and understated, with a more cab-rearward profile and neater integration of Acura’s signature diamond-shaped grille.

Acura’s newfound interest in sportiness strikes you the moment you’re on the move. This top-of-the-line Advanced model, with its adaptive dampers, had a firmer ride than I was expecting. This is no glorified minivan—it’s got a genuinely sporty feel. Acura engineers say the front subframe is more stiffly mounted than before for better steering response, and I have to imagine this contributes to the taut ride. Over potholes and frost heaves, the way the car deals with larger road-surface changes is excellent.

View Photos

Chris Perkins

The handling is pretty great, too. I took the MDX out to my usual country roads north of New York City mainly to find some nice backdrops for photography, but I found myself enjoying the drive far more than I expected. The way this crossover handles winding country roads reminds me of a Porsche Cayenne—not the full physics-defying Cayenne Turbo with active anti-roll bars, rear-wheel steering and air suspension, but the sweet, sharper-than-expected base model. Like the Porsche, the MDX is engaging without compromising comfort. The steering is accurate, with good natural weighting in Normal mode, though as with so many other cars, steering effort is too light in Comfort mode and too heavy in Sport.

My example also had Acura's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive, which is capable of real torque vectoring across the rear axle. Getting on the power early mid-corner overdrives the outside rear wheel and cuts power to the inside rear wheel. The sensation is unusual at 1st, but it's fun to play with. Using the throttle to modify your line in a 3-row SUV is an unexpected delight. And when you're not driving enthusiastically, the SH-AWD system falls into the background.

My only real dynamic complaint is with the brake pedal. Like so many new cars, the MDX uses an electric brake booster. The pedal feels unnaturally light, offering almost no resistance. That’s a shame, because we know Acura can offer great braking feel and modulation—the pedal in the TLX sedan is just about perfect.

View Photos

Chris PerkinsWhere the MDX has a clear edge over the TLX is in the engine bay. When I was first reading the specs, I was a bit disappointed to find that the new MDX uses the same 3.5-liter naturally aspirated V-6 found in so many Honda products. This J-Series engine is old, dating to the mid-Nineties, and it’s been found in all three previous generations of the MDX. Initial trepidation aside, it’s the right engine for the job, as smooth as ever and far more characterful than the turbo 2.0-liter 4-cylinder in the TLX. Acura engineers went with the 290-hp, 267 lb-ft V-6 for its smoothness, and found that the 6 got better fuel economy in the MDX than a smaller turbo engine would. The 10-speed automatic is a willing partner, never lost among its many ratios, with quick responses from the paddle shifters.
View Photos

Chris PerkinsThe interior is thoroughly modern, with a new digital instrument cluster. Thankfully, the old dual-screen infotainment setup is gone, replaced by the newest version of Acura’s trackpad-controlled infotainment system that debuted with the RDX. Finally, an Acura interior that compares favorably to the luxury competition. You don’t get the wow-factor design of a Mercedes, Volvo or Genesis here, but everything feels high-quality, with a lot of thought put into everyday functionality. There’s a wireless phone charger under the palm rest for the trackpad, and cordless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration is standard.

The infotainment system also offers Amazon Alexa voice assistant integration. It’s brilliant, a rare system where voice control actually works well to control functions outside your smartphone. (It’s also a little creepy, for those of us who’d prefer not to invite Jeff Bezos into the privacy of our automobiles.) The trackpad interface presents a learning curve, and the display is not touch-sensitive, but once you get up to speed Acura’s system works far better than the similar trackpad setup found in Lexus products. One quirk: The trackpad gestures are different for Apple CarPlay than they are for Acura’s native software, so switching between the two can be frustrating.

All in all, the MDX is a pleasant thing to drive, defying what you likely expect from a three-row crossover. There's an inherent, refreshing sportiness here, one that doesn't compromise daily drivability.

View Photos

Chris PerkinsAnd it seems to be quite a good value. The base front-wheel drive MDX starts at $48,000, with this loaded all-wheel drive Advanced-spec car ringing in at $62,700.
Related Story

MDX Type S to Put 355 HP In a Handsome PackageThere's something encouraging about the new MDX. Acura likely would have sold them by the truckload even if it wasn’t this sporty, this handsome. There’s a glimpse of classic Honda in the 4th-generation MDX: Built for everybody, but with a bit more verve than you’d expect. It makes us all the more excited for the upcoming MDX Type S, which will bolster all the base model’s goodness with 355 horsepower.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Old 01-29-2021, 02:41 AM
Safety Car

Old 01-29-2021, 08:58 AM
Ex-OEM King

I'd honestly buy one if it wasn't for the track pad. If it had the track pad and a touch screen, I'd be at the dealership already.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
I'd honestly buy one if it wasn't for the track pad. If it had the track pad and a touch screen, I'd be at the dealership already.

Wait for the Type S.... you are not sick and tired of that 3.5 V6 yet?
Old 01-29-2021, 12:40 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,150 Likes on 828 Posts
Looks great. My current MDX lease is up later this year...
Old 01-29-2021, 02:40 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Wait for the Type S.... you are not sick and tired of that 3.5 V6 yet?
The Type S will be faster yes but this is a family hauling SUV. The 3.5 V6 is perfectly adequate for that.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:37 PM
Team Owner

The Type S will be faster yes but this is a family hauling SUV. The 3.5 V6 is perfectly adequate for that.
Adequate is never enough for AZ.....
Old 01-30-2021, 06:18 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Vids

Old 01-30-2021, 11:44 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
With you sitting alone in the car, the 3.5L-V6 may just be adequate. But with the entire family loaded up the SUV, the high power turbo-V6 Type-S is an absolute must.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:00 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Kk

Old 02-01-2021, 06:27 AM
Safety Car

Arrow SlashGear

https://www.slashgear.com/2022-acura...alue-31657449/

2022 Acura MDX 1st Drive – 3-row SUV knows who to convince

Chris Davies - Jan 31, 2021, 12:00pm CSTIf the 2022 Acura MDX is a revolution in 3-row SUVs, it could be because it doesn’t treat the driver as an afterthought. Sharper styling, a more upmarket cabin, and lashings of extra tech help justify the 4th-generation MDX’s climb into more expensive territory, but Acura still takes its mission statement seriously. A rewarding experience behind the wheel can’t be sacrificed, even in a family hauler.

The all-new platform allowed Acura’s designers to demand the lengthy hood, expansive dash-to-axle, and rear-biased cabin that their hearts desired, and the result is a fairly stunning SUV from most angles. Wider, longer, with more wheelbase and broader front and rear tracks, the new MDX wears Acura’s current aesthetic beautifully, from the outsized grille and narrow headlamps, to the sharply creased and scalloped sides.
It looks poised and purposeful, and it hides its heft well. Parked up next to an RDX, the new 3-row SUV looks elevated and imposing, rather than a flabby acquiescence to practicality. 19-inch wheels are standard, with 20-inch upgrades on the Tech and A-Spec trims.
Underneath there’s the usual battle between demands for sportiness and the requirement for comfort that any plush SUV faces. Acura says it’s the most rigid SUV it has made, up 32-percent in torsional rigidity, and the old MacPherson strut front suspension is gone in favor of a double-wishbone system. The brakes are bigger, the variable ratio steering promises less wheel-twiddling, and there’s an improved multi-link rear suspension system with dual load paths to cut out harshness from surly asphalt while also boosting cargo and third-row space.

Acura has carried over its 3.5-liter V6 with 290 horsepower and 267 lb-ft of torque, now fairly unusual among 4-cylinder rivals. It’s paired with a 10-speed automatic rather than the old 9-speed; paddle-shifters are standard, while the wider ratio range means a perkier pick-up in first gear. It can downshift up to four ratios at a time, too.
Front-wheel drive is standard, but Acura is understandably eager to push its 4th Gen Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD). That’s a $2k option on top of the base $46,900 MDX and $51,600 MDX Technology Package, and standard on the $57,100 A-Spec and $60,650 Advance Package (all plus $1,025 destination). It can push up to 70-percent of engine torque to the rear, and then distribute up to 100-percent of that to either the left or right wheels for proper torque vectoring.
Despite having six cylinders, Acura says it’s confident that economy is competitive with similarly-priced inline-4 rivals. Figure on 19 mpg in the city, 26 mpg on the highway, or 22 mpg combined from the FWD SUV, or 19 mpg city, 25 mpg highway, 21 mpg combined for the SH-AWD version.

Conspicuous by its absence is any sort of electrification. Acura doesn’t have a plug-in hybrid or full-electric version of the MDX, though it’s not counting something like that out down the line. “Electrification is going to be an important part of the company’s future direction,” insists Tom Nguyen, global development leader for the 2022 MDX, pointing out that “by 2030 2/3 of our products are going to be electrified.” For now, though, your choice is Acura V6 or another 3-row SUV.
Thankfully it’s a decent engine. Solid levels of power that the new gearbox isn’t stingy with, kicking down readily but without losing decorum in the process. The Integrated Dynamics System – that’s Acura-speak for “drive modes” – has 4 presets, for Snow, Comfort, Normal, and Sport. Unusually, you can set either Comfort or Normal as the default. An Individual mode allows you to mix’n’match the settings for your own recipe, adjusting things like gearbox eagerness and steering weight.

Acura’s insistence on putting the driver 1st does leave the 2022 MDX more crisply sprung than most rivals. It uses the same sort of amplitude reactive dampers as featured on the new TLX, with 2 sets of circuits that promise both compliance and sporting stability. Certainly, if you push the MDX through the corners it handles flatter and with more agility than you’d expect from a 4,500 pound SUV.
Flip to Comfort mode, though, and there’s no fancy adaptive damping or air suspension to soften all that up. The all-season performance Bridgestone rubber with a 15% stiffness improvement in the sidewall on my MDX A-Spec test car probably didn’t help matters, but it was definitely firmer across ruts and potholes than some of its competition.

Flicked to Sport mode, meanwhile, with the push-button transmission set to “S” too, and things made more sense. SH-AWD obviously shines on a performance car like the NSX, but it proves its worth in much larger metal like the MDX too. Think ample stability even on snowy backroads, combined with enough cornering urgency to shake loose the lunch of any unfortunate passengers.
That would be a messy shame, because the cabin is a big step forward. Indeed, anybody coming from an old MDX will be blown away. Gone is the confusing dual-display infotainment system, and a dashboard reminiscent of Iron Man’s codpiece. In its place is an intentionally authentic selection of materials: think real aluminum, real open-pore wood, and real Milano leather with contrast stitching.

The MDX still errs on the side of dedicated buttons for many of its features, but the end result feels a lot more cohesive than in the old SUV. All the same, there’s plenty of glossy black plastic and, though it contrasts nicely with the vivid red leather in my A-Spec, it definitely picks up dust and fingerprints.
Acura remains wedded to its touchpad-controlled infotainment system, making the argument that it drags your attention away from the road less than a touchscreen would. Sadly I just can’t get with that program. Acura’s True Touchpad Interface stumbles by diverging both from smartphone and laptop interfaces. I can’t tap the huge 12.3-inch center display like I would my smartphone, but you can’t really swipe around as you would on a laptop trackpad since Acura’s system maps 1:1 positions on its ‘pad to locations on the screen.

I suspect it’s a case of the research saying one thing, but the reality of how we’ve trained our brains and fingers to use systems being something different.
It’s a shame, because Acura’s UI is quite pleasant. The 2022 MDX gets a new processor and a Full HD panel with 60Hz refresh, and as a result everything is smooth and slick. AI-driven smart shortcuts promise to figure out what you use most often and shuffle them to the fore; I didn’t have the SUV long enough for it to get to grips with my own, particular whims. Those profiles are based on the keyfob, too, so if you’re sharing the MDX you can have 2 separate sets of suggestions.

There’s better onboard voice recognition now, along with integrated Alexa. You get wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and the Advanced trim adds a 12.5-inch color head-up display. A 12.3-inch digital gauge cluster is standard across the board, as is a 15W wireless charger that’s sized to accommodate even the burliest of phones.
Tri-zone climate control is standard, as are heated front seats; A-Spec and Advanced trims get ventilated front seats too, but only the top spec gets heated rear outboard seats. Navigation is standard on the Technology Package and up, as is Acura’s 27-color ambient LED lighting. If you want the fanciest ELS Studio 3D Premium Audio System with its 16 speakers and ear-flattering dynamics, you’ll need an A-Spec or Advanced MDX, but for audiophiles it’s probably worth it.

I’m a fan of Acura’s front row seats – 12-way power adjustable with power lumbar support, unless you go for the Advanced trim in which case you can tweak the thigh extension and side bolsters too – which straddle a pleasing line between squish and support. The smaller wheel is a nice change, too, with its thicker rim and, in A-Spec form, flat bottom. Why did Acura then go and hide the front USB-C and one of the USB-A ports in a pop-up panel, knowing that people will probably leave the cables plugged in? Your guess there is as good as mine.
The 2nd row can’t be had with captain’s chairs, which is another odd decision, Acura instead pushing its removable center seat. That can flip upright to squeeze in a third person, fold down into a beefy armrest, or be pulled out altogether. It’s clever, and standard on all trims, but the resulting outboard seats aren’t as fancy as what you get on other luxe trucks. In A-Spec and Advanced trims, there’s a CabinControl app that allows for smartphone control of music, rear climate, sunshades, and – with permission – navigation settings too. They also get CabinTalk to amplify the driver’s voice as you shout at passengers for messing with the playlist.
In the 3rd row, meanwhile, Acura says legroom is up more than 2 inches, and there’s about a half-inch more headroom. I’m 5’8 and my legs had no issues – nor were my knees around my ears – but my scalp was grazing the headliner. At least with the panoramic sunroof it’s fairly airy back there, and Advance trim adds USB-A ports in the third row for charging.

As for the trunk, that’s now 16.3 cu-ft with all 3 rows up, a 1.5 cu-ft improvement over the old MDX. Drop the 3rd row and it expands to 39.1 cu-ft; drop the 2nd and it grows to 71.4 cu-ft. There’s also a clever reversible cargo floor, carpeted on one side and hard on the other, in case you need to transport wet boots, clothes, or pups. A power tailgate is standard, and on the Advance trim you can have it auto-close when you hit the button and then walk outside of a roughly 3 foot zone. Throw in the right tow package and AWD, and the MDX will handle up to 5,000 pounds.
AcuraWatch is standard across the board, with adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping assistance and departure warnings, blind spot information, rear cross-traffic monitor, and forward collision warnings with mitigation braking and advanced pedestrian detection. Traffic Jam Assist works at speeds under 45 mph. On Technology Package trims and above there’s Low Speed Braking Control, which uses the parking sensors to automatically slow the MDX if you’re about to bump into something like a shopping cart. It works at parking lot-friendly speeds of up to 6 mph.

2022 Acura MDX Verdict

Acura’s goal with the new MDX is fairly blunt: move the 3-row SUV up in the world, positioning it as the brand’s new flagship and taking on competitors from Audi, Lexus, Volvo, and similar in the process. To do it, the 2022 MDX combines the tried-and-tested V6 and SH-AWD with styling that’s finally memorable, and a decent level of standard technology and active safety.
Come the Summer, meanwhile, we’ll see what else the engineers have been working on, in the shape of the new MDX Type S. It’ll pack a 3.0-liter turbo V6, with 355 horsepower and 354 lb-ft of torque, and deliver that extra twist of sporting eagerness that has helped buoy more potent SUVs from rivals. As well as a more aggressive body kit it’ll get 21-inch wheels with Brembo brakes, along with high-end tech and comfort features like the ELS Studio 3D system inside.

Of course, Acura isn’t alone in seeing rich pickings in the luxe SUV segment. Genesis has made a splash recently, its 2021 GV80 even more dramatic in its aesthetics and more lavish inside than the new MDX. Those who really need the 3rd row will probably still lean toward the Acura – only one GV80 trim offers it, and it’s far more snug back there – but it’s a reminder all the same that this fiercely competitive category is only getting more demanding.
It leaves the 2021 MDX counting on its sporting credentials to earn its place, and there Acura’s argument is sound. It’s a play for the driver, more than the driven: a reminder that, when the brood’s not onboard, your capacious SUV need neither be wallowing nor sluggish. Some rivals may offer more luxury, but most can’t keep up with the new MDX’s refusal to accept that practical must also mean dull.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:04 AM
Safety Car

Arrow SavageGeese

Old 02-01-2021, 08:08 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb MilesPerHr

Old 02-01-2021, 02:35 PM
Safety Car

Wink Marketing

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...aunch-campaign

2022 MDX Asserts its Role as the Flagship of the Acura Brand in New Launch Campaign

February 1, 2021 — TORRANCE, Calif.
  • All-new, 4th-generation MDX on sale tomorrow, Feb. 2
  • New integrated campaign highlights more than 35 years of Acura performance heritage to introduce MDX as the brand’s new flagship
  • With a dramatic redesign, the 2022 MDX is the most premium, performance-focused and technologically sophisticated SUV in Acura history
In advance of arriving at dealerships Feb. 2, Acura’s all-new 2022 MDX launch campaign (acura.us/mdxlaunchcampaign) demonstrates how Acura’s long-time racing and sports car success is powering the 4th-generation SUV to its new role as the flagship of the brand.

Set to the soundtrack of Queen’s “Tear It Up,” the new Acura campaign highlights key components of the all-new MDX, including its bold and athletic exterior design along with a new, sophisticated and elegant interior featuring the most high-tech and advanced cockpit in the brand's history. MDX performance is underpinned by a first-ever double-wishbone front suspension applied to its all-new, ultra-rigid platform, featured in an accompanying spot (acura.us/mdxperformance) that also demonstrates MDX’s towing capability. Full 2022 MDX information is available here.

The integrated campaign takes viewers on an exciting trip through Acura’s pinnacle vehicles and racecars to highlight that MDX shares the “same DNA” as the original 1991 NSX, 2001 Integra Type R and the 2021 NSX. Acura’s racing heritage is reflected with the Comptech Spice Acura GTP Lights racecar that Parker Johnstone drove to 3mconsecutive IMSA Camel Lights Driver’s Championships from 1991 to 1993, along with an appearance by the back-to-back IMSA Championship-winning NSX GT3 Evo.

The campaign was developed in collaboration with agency of record MullenLowe LA, and will be featured across broadcast, digital and social media. Key national broadcast highlights include cable and live sports – NBA, NCAA and March Madness match-ups. The 2022 MDX campaign will also be featured on streaming platforms with :30 and :15 versions of the TV creative, along with :06 versions featured across social media. Acura’s MDX spots will also run in Spanish and Chinese-language.

Other key campaign components include:
  • “Origin Story,” a social media activation launching next month on Acura’s social channels with a series of videos that dive further into the “same DNA” performance and innovation story that led to MDX.
  • “Working Mom,” a dedicated Spanish-language :30 TV spot, that will run across national Hispanic networks including Telemundo and Univision, showcasing the duality of the 2022 MDX as a high-performance and ultramodern family SUV to reach Hispanic audiences.
  • High-impact digital editorial partnerships with Travel + Leisure, Conde Nast, Martini, as well as Hispanic outlets such as People en Español and Mama’s Latina.
  • Integration of high-impact digital media to reach key Chinese audiences, working with niche publishers such as Asian Media Group.
About Acura
Acura is a leading automotive nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance – a commitment to expressive styling, high performance and innovative engineering, all built on a foundation of quality and reliability. The Acura lineup features 5 distinctive models – the ILX and TLX sport sedans, the RDX and MDX sport-utility vehicles and the next-generation, electrified NSX supercar. All Acura models sold in North America for the 2021 model year are made in the U.S., using domestic and globally sourced parts.

Additional media information including pricing, features & specifications and high-resolution photography is available at AcuraNews.com. Consumer information is available at Acura.com.

# # #

Old 02-01-2021, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
seems like it's a good overall SUV, but nothing to write raving reviews about. Seems like it handles slightly better than outgoing model and is just as fast with maybe 1MPG more. That's not quite a lot of evolution for spending over 50K on a SUV. It seems like they tried to be a jack-of-all-trades but doesn't excel at anything. I own a 2G MDX and would have moved into the 3rd if it was faster, had a better UI (a/c, heated seats, etc) and didn't have the ZF 9-speed. The 4G MDX was a huge chance for acura and it seems they really dropped the ball on what folks expect for a 2021/2022 model.

3G MDX isn't exactly fast on it's feet, esp in the mountains and having only 1 extra gear isn't going help much. IF it had hybrid system like the RLX did then this thing would be a BLAST.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:51 PM
Team Owner

^ Type S will solve alot of those issues... but it is no longer a 50k SUV.... Type S at $60k+ .. it might be a tough sale for other reasons...
The following users liked this post:
csmeance (02-02-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 09:07 AM
Ex-OEM King

^ Type S will solve alot of those issues... but it is no longer a 50k SUV.... Type S at $60k+ .. it might be a tough sale for other reasons...
I'd have a tough time justifying a $65k MDX-S vs a $65k Q7 55 that has the same power.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:02 PM
Safety Car

unreliable brands car service areas are full.
MDX long term test.
https://www.edmunds.com/acura/mdx/20...erm-road-test/
Old 12-17-2021, 06:07 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Type S

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...r-the-holidays

2022 Acura MDX Type S Pricing Announced; Begins Arriving at Dealerships for the Holidays

December 16, 2021 — TORRANCE, Calif.Just in time to celebrate the holidays and usher in a happy new year, the turbocharged 2022 Acura MDX Type S will begin arriving at dealerships nationwide next week. A high-performance version of the new Acura flagship, MDX Type S is the 1st Acura SUV to wear the Type S badge and the most powerful, best handling and most lavishly equipped Acura SUV ever. MDX Type S has a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $66,700, while MDX Type S with Advance Package has an MSRP of $72,050.
Model / Trim

MSRP1

MSRP
with Destination2

EPA Mileage Rating3
City/Hwy/Combined

2022 MDX Type S

$66,700

$67,745

17 / 21 / 19

2022 MDX Type S with Advance Package

$72,050

$73,095

17 / 21 / 19

MDX Type S is 1 of 3 new Acura Type S models to debut this year, demonstrating how the spirit of Precision Crafted Performance is pulsing through the Acura core model lineup. Acura Type S performance variants strengthen the fundamentals of driving performance with significant enhancements to each element of the vehicle experience (acceleration, braking and turning) – without compromising creature comforts or daily drivability.

With a standard third row and torque-vectoring Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™, the 355 horsepower MDX Type S delivers an unmatched combination of thrilling dynamics and family-friendly accommodations. More information on the 2022 Acura MDX Type S is available
here.

2022 MDX Type S Highlights:
  • 3.0-liter Type S Turbo V6 with 355 hp (SAE net @ 5,500 rpm), 354 lb.-ft. of torque (SAE net @ 1,400-5,000 rpm)
  • Performance-tuned 10-speed automatic transmission with stronger internals, quicker shifts and rev-matched downshifts
  • Performance-tuned Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ to maximize handling performance
  • Acura first air suspension system features adjustable ride height and a smooth, comfortable ride
  • Adaptive Damper System with 3 different Type S-specific damping profiles
  • Seven-mode Integrated Dynamics System (IDS) with Type S-exclusive Sport+ and ride height-increasing Lift modes
  • Brembo® front brakes featuring 14.3-inch rotors and red four-piston fixed calipers
  • Standard 21-inch wheels with self-sealing high-performance all-season tires
  • New front-fascia styling features open-surface Diamond Pentagon grille that improves cooling
  • Type S-signature quad exhaust finishers with active exhaust valves
  • Acura-1st massaging seats with 9 different modes to calm the driver and front passenger after a spirted drive (Type S with Advance Package)
  • 25-speaker, 1,000-watt ELS STUDIO 3D® Signature Edition premium audio system (Type S with Advance Package) with PrecisionDrive® carbon fiber speakers and CenterParquet® enhancing the listening experience for front and rear passengers
Old 12-17-2021, 09:01 AM

Received 5,548 Likes on 3,785 Posts

$75k

Just did a B&P on a pretty heavy optioned GLE450 & it came out to $79k
382/396, so a bit more power than the MDX, and likely more comfortable. Worth the extra $5-8k, IMO.
RPhilMan1 (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 01:07 PM
Team Owner

i am not even gonna waste my time typing more than this.

$70-75k for a MDX... well i guess they really want more ppl to go buy RX350 and Pilot.
RPhilMan1 (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 01:17 PM
Safety Car

it has air suspension and massage seats. NSX type brake system.
i think price is realistic for current market.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:33 PM
Team Owner

The current market does not affect MSRP. it is MSRP + Markup aka market adjustment

That does not mean you can just add the markup as part of the MSRP forever....

If you think it is realistic.. then you can go ahead and buy a $75k MDX
Old 12-17-2021, 02:15 PM

GLE can be had with both of those features for $5-10k over the MDX.
For my money, I'd buy the Merc
Old 12-17-2021, 03:09 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2

$75k

Just did a B&P on a pretty heavy optioned GLE450 & it came out to $79k
382/396, so a bit more power than the MDX, and likely more comfortable. Worth the extra $5-8k, IMO.
This was exactly my reaction lol.

I wonder how they left the marketing meeting on that price target with a straight face lol. Who is going to buy a $75k "performance" Acura that's slower and more expensive than the non-performance Mercedes of equivalent size and features???
Old 12-17-2021, 03:21 PM
Safety Car

loaded Lexus NX Plug in cost $63K. and that is 5 seater.

I dont think MB GLE 450 will be faster. look at 5-60 mile time. and can only pull 0.82g on 275 tires. MDX can do that on 255. on 275 MDX should suprass it easily.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

https://www.mbusa.com/en/inventory/A...FB4KE2NA627767

2022 GLE 350 4MATIC SUV

MSRPDisclaimer

$70,745

Estimated Payment Disclaimer[5]

$1,264.29/mo
Old 12-17-2021, 03:54 PM

^ NX isn't even remotely a competitor to the MDX nor the GLE. Keep it relevant.

Less than 1% of MDX/GLE (non-AMG, and even then) buyers care about skidpad limits of these cars when they're running the kids to soccer or to the grocery store.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
loaded Lexus NX Plug in cost $63K. and that is 5 seater.

I dont think MB GLE 450 will be faster. look at 5-60 mile time. and can only pull 0.82g on 275 tires. MDX can do that on 255. on 275 MDX should suprass it easily.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

https://www.mbusa.com/en/inventory/A...FB4KE2NA627767

2022 GLE 350 4MATIC SUV

MSRPDisclaimer

$70,745

Estimated Payment Disclaimer[5]

$1,264.29/mo

You can try to justify it however you want, at the end of the day, if they dont sell, then it is a failed product.
If you think there will be selling like hotcakes at 70-75k.. well show us...
Old 12-17-2021, 05:00 PM
Safety Car

You can try to justify it however you want, at the end of the day, if they dont sell, then it is a failed product.
If you think there will be selling like hotcakes at 70-75k.. well show us...
you are not going to get Massage seats and air suspension with 25 speaker system at this price with brembo brakes. The AWD system is second to none. it will be overbooked at this price for years to come.
third row seat height low in GLE

Old 12-17-2021, 05:37 PM
Team Owner

who cares if it has brembo or air suspension or 25 speakers if no one is buyiing it at 75k.. Literally nobody freaking cares.

for the sake of argument, Only you and Acura still think Brembo is still some high end stuff... pretty much EVERY Mercedes, Audi and BMW's sport trim (Msport, S-line or AMG line) have Brembo (or something equivalent) for many many years already.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:59 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,730 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Air suspension and 25 speakers? bwahahahahahaha
Old 12-17-2021, 06:27 PM
Safety Car

who cares if it has brembo or air suspension or 25 speakers if no one is buyiing it at 75k.. Literally nobody freaking cares.

for the sake of argument, Only you and Acura still think Brembo is still some high end stuff... pretty much EVERY Mercedes, Audi and BMW's sport trim (Msport, S-line or AMG line) have Brembo (or something equivalent) for many many years already.
used base FWD MDX asking $50K. i dont think built to order vehicles will have problem at $75K.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd...411554780.html

2022 Acura MDX Base 4dr SUV - $49,999 (+ Auto Race CA)

Old 12-17-2021, 06:31 PM
Team Owner

He doesnt know that BMW X5 has air suspension as option too. It is not some OMG feature that no one else has.

But thanks for posting that those interior pictures. They just reminded me how the old GLE's interior still looks a full generation ahead of a brand new MDX's interior.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 12-17-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
used base FWD MDX asking $50K. i dont think built to order vehicles will have problem at $75K.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd...411554780.html

2022 Acura MDX Base 4dr SUV - $49,999 (+ Auto Race CA)

Again, are you using the current temporary inflated price to justify MSRP that is supposed to be permanent?

Then you better hope that Acura will have people lineup buying the 70k MDX...

But who am i kidding, you also thought the $100k Rav4prime was justified... so yah Do you want to get 2 used MDX or 1 brand new Rav4 prime for 100k? I mean they are all so godly.. How can you choose?

Quick Reply: Acura: MDX News