Acura: MDX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i think the tow capabilities are mostly due to the chassis design.

The Ridgeline/MDX/Pilot are all based on the light-truck platform that also underpins the Odyssey minivan. I'm sure they can beef it up to tow more, but all this engineering and parts would cost more money, not to mention it may be "overkill" for the Odyssey. All the reinforcements would also add weight and penalize fuel economy.

I think Honda just decided that the "bulK" of their truck/SUV business doesn't need to tow more than 5000lbs, so why spend the money when it wouldn't give them an advantage over others in its segment? I'm sure that most people cross-shopping the MDX with the Cayenne or X5 aren't concerned about the differences in tow ratings between these cars, and the bulk of the people who are hard on for tow ratings aren't going to be shopping these SUVs anyway.

Tow ratings probably would make a bigger difference in Ridgeline sales and image because that segment is pretty much all about how much the vehicle can tow or carry.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been trying to figure out what limits towing also, I have to assume the transmission is playing a big role also. Power doesn't seem to be the problem.

One thing to note, though, the current MDX has a 4500lb* rating. That * means 3500 except for boats. I assume because boats are aerodynamic and a trailer is not. I dunno. But the new 5000lb rating has no * (yet?).
Old 08-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
mrdeeno, unlemming, you both made good points.

I think the brakes are also a big limiting factor, as we all know Honda doesn't exactly offer the best rotors on their vehicles. I'm not worried about towing my jet skis--they don't weigh all that much--but when I get a boat, I'll definitely get a trailer with brakes on it. I think I recall reading somewhere about this certain vehicle (I can't remeber what it was) whose towing capacity increased by about 1,000 lbs. if the trailer being towed has its own power brakes.

Maybe I'll call Acura Client Services some day to see what they have to say about it.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
How about the Cayenne S? Isn't 300+ hp?
The S, which is rated at 340 hp, has the same towing capacity as the V6 model.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
Loving the new MDX! The fake wood doesn't bother me as I think wood is overrated. As long as it looks good it can be real or fake. Most people wouldn't know or even care.

I don't really agree, plastic has a plastic feel and sound which is cheap even if it does look like wood. Real wood doesn't and at that price point the whole idea of a high price is paying for luxuries.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Beltfed

The front end looks pretty damn sweet, but then seeing the rest of the vehicle its instant welcome back to Honda, nothing to it.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by unlemming
It's a CUV, first off.
Whats that, cunt utility vehicle, haha, j/p, what is a cuv.

Please don't say car utility vehicle.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by levon1830
Thanks for the towing info. Shortly after I posed the question, I actually found it in a link posted earlier in this thread. Amazing what happens when I actually read through the whole thread.

Now, the question is this: What is the limiting factor concerning the towing capacity for Honda's SUV's and the Ridgeline? Is it the transmission? The brakes? The chassis? A combination of these and other factors? While 5,000 lbs. of towing capacity is more than enough for me for now (I'm not ready for the big cuddy cabin boats yet ) I've just always wondered what prevents the Honda's from towing more. It doesn't seem like power is an issue, as the BMW X5 with the 3.0L I-6 rated at 225 hp has a towing capacity of 6,000 lbs. And the X5 weighs 4,652 lbs, so it's comparable to the MDX on the scales.

Does anyone know?
Towing limitations are usually dependant on chassis design, brakes, and powertrain. (live rear axels are far better than independant suspension also as far as springs/shocks being able to handle the weight)

Honestly, any one thinking of pulling a boat or a trailer that is "over" 5000 lbs should be using a full frame truck/suv. Most who complain about a low tow rating have never actually pulled that much.

I think the new MDX is great looking, and im sure its better in person. I just wish the price on acuras wasnt going upscale so much. they are leaving my price point leaving me to look else where
Old 08-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Most who complain about a low tow rating have never actually pulled that much.
Is that scientific or hondarific, sounds like the latter.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
Whats that, cunt utility vehicle, haha, j/p, what is a cuv.

Please don't say car utility vehicle.
Crossover.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Safety Car

The utilities have long gone out the window for travel of items in these type vehicles.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Is that scientific or hondarific, sounds like the latter.
it's hondarific, fashizzle.

They don't need to offer a higher tow rating because they feel that it offers only a little more benefit from a investment/sales/image standpoint.

And I would agree...along the same lines that most people with premium SUV's don't go off-roading, most people with premium SUV's won't be towing anything, much less anything over 5,000lbs.

But I think this position hurts the Ridgeline's image because it's a truck competing in a truck market, where towing and utility is more important (but even that is arguable these days).

They applied the same logic to V8 engines, thinking that the few sales of V8 engines in a car like the RL isn't worth the investment, but they forgot that the RL is competing in a segment where "excess" counts a lot more than common sense.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:52 AM
Suzuka Master

just saw something funny on the way to work this morning...

a little dodge colt towing one of those u-haul containers. I don't think there's a tow rating on the dodge colt, but nevertheless the guy was towing.

Isn't the current MDX/Ridgeline/etc. rating based on towing with the OEM tow/hitch package? I'm sure it can handle more than it's rated for and there's a safety factor of at least 1.2, meaning it was tested to at least 6000lbs. That's the safety factor we calculate in my industry, so i'm sure the safety factor Honda and other auto companies use is a lot higher (1.5 or even more).

but then again, I still think if someone's going to often tow something more than 5000lbs, they wouldn't be shopping for the MDX or any of its competitors...they'll get a real truck and leave the luxury CUV for their wives to tow the kids to the soccer game.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Acura updated their website. Check out the new MDX under the 'Future Vehicles" tab!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:25 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by levon1830
Acura updated their website. Check out the new MDX under the 'Future Vehicles" tab!
Hmmm...I just went there and I don't see the tab...
Old 08-31-2006, 10:48 PM
Racer

I just went over it..it's there...too bad they don't come in sport pkg only...
Old 09-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Guys the acura.com website is updated with all the info about the new MDX. Just click on the Future Vehicles link.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The rear looks very nice. The interior also. This engine should have been in the TLS! This engine is pretty peaky. It makes its peak torque at 5K rpm! Ha! They say they tuned it at the N'ring! LOL. Everyone goes there these days at this point. I am now starting to get used to the front also. Active head restraints equipped. Interesting.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:58 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
kinda disappointed the sport pkg doesnt come with 19" wheels standard and maybe 20" optional
Old 09-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gavriil
The rear looks very nice. The interior also. This engine should have been in the TLS! This engine is pretty peaky. It makes its peak torque at 5K rpm! Ha! They say they tuned it at the N'ring! LOL. Everyone goes there these days at this point. I am now starting to get used to the front also. Active head restraints equipped. Interesting.
then that would really kill off the RL.
peak tq at 5k?
Old 09-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The current MDX peaks pretty high too, doesn't it? But it's a nice flat curve..
Old 09-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
just saw something funny on the way to work this morning...

a little dodge colt towing one of those u-haul containers. I don't think there's a tow rating on the dodge colt, but nevertheless the guy was towing.

Isn't the current MDX/Ridgeline/etc. rating based on towing with the OEM tow/hitch package? I'm sure it can handle more than it's rated for and there's a safety factor of at least 1.2, meaning it was tested to at least 6000lbs. That's the safety factor we calculate in my industry, so i'm sure the safety factor Honda and other auto companies use is a lot higher (1.5 or even more).

but then again, I still think if someone's going to often tow something more than 5000lbs, they wouldn't be shopping for the MDX or any of its competitors...they'll get a real truck and leave the luxury CUV for their wives to tow the kids to the soccer game.
One of those tiny U-Haul containers weighs like 200lbs. Its just a box frame with wheels. 2nd of all people who want to tow don't always know what is safe to tow for all vehicles around them (smaller wheels turn at much faster speeds, they don't have brake kits to brake the trailer they are towing, that guy could have killed you, but as long as he didn't kill you its good for the MDX, etc).

Last edited by heyitsme; 09-01-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Regarding towing and the limiting factors:

There are a ton of factors that limit towing ability but it is often tongue weight when refering to car based SUVs. The reason Pilots and MDXs have higher tow ratings for boats is boats have more weight to the rear (engine) than most trailers and thus put less weight on the tongue. Tongue weight is usually around 10% of tow rating.

Truck Trend did an article after the Ridgeline came out about towing and with some real world tests showed what most people that tow already know. US manufacturers tend to rate their towing capacity conservatively since they know from experience end users tend to go over recommended capacity, the same with payload capacity. The opposite was true with the Asian manufacturers in particular the Ridgeline which had a hard time moving/stopping and supporting loads at the rear near its capacity.

For the person asking about towing a 19-22' boat one of the big issues besides raw weight (don't forget all the other crap that gets hauled in the boat and in the SUV when heading to the lake) is how far you are towing and the terrain you will be towing over. If your boat and trailer comes in at or under 4k and are towing over fairly flat terrain for 2 hours or less then the MDX would be OK, above any of these I would want more truck and less car. In the price range I would consider a Sequoia for your boat (assuming you want Asian reliability) or possibly a 4runner V8 or Lexus GX470 (new or slightly used), the Pathfinder and Armada also fit the bill but I would want to cut off about 5000 with the Pathy. If you are the type to get "2 ft itis" with a boat quickly then maybe just get a Tahoe to begin with...

One other thing especially if you end up at the 22' end of your range for a boat is wheelbase, for towing, especially long trailers, a longer wheel base is better.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:53 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
edmunds seems to like it,
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116651

"Considering base MSRPs of a comparably equipped BMW X5 3.0i ($44,470), the Porsche Cayenne ($42,200) and the Volvo XC90 V8 ($46,400), we think the MDX is priced just right. With all its unexpected performance, standard safety and interior features, plus Acura's attention to detail and reputation for longevity, the 2007 Acura MDX is the current midsize SUV standard for the others to chase — in spite of the metallic grille."
Old 09-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ilitig8
Regarding towing and the limiting factors:

There are a ton of factors that limit towing ability but it is often tongue weight when refering to car based SUVs. The reason Pilots and MDXs have higher tow ratings for boats is boats have more weight to the rear (engine) than most trailers and thus put less weight on the tongue. Tongue weight is usually around 10% of tow rating.

Truck Trend did an article after the Ridgeline came out about towing and with some real world tests showed what most people that tow already know. US manufacturers tend to rate their towing capacity conservatively since they know from experience end users tend to go over recommended capacity, the same with payload capacity. The opposite was true with the Asian manufacturers in particular the Ridgeline which had a hard time moving/stopping and supporting loads at the rear near its capacity.

For the person asking about towing a 19-22' boat one of the big issues besides raw weight (don't forget all the other crap that gets hauled in the boat and in the SUV when heading to the lake) is how far you are towing and the terrain you will be towing over. If your boat and trailer comes in at or under 4k and are towing over fairly flat terrain for 2 hours or less then the MDX would be OK, above any of these I would want more truck and less car. In the price range I would consider a Sequoia for your boat (assuming you want Asian reliability) or possibly a 4runner V8 or Lexus GX470 (new or slightly used), the Pathfinder and Armada also fit the bill but I would want to cut off about 5000 with the Pathy. If you are the type to get "2 ft itis" with a boat quickly then maybe just get a Tahoe to begin with...

One other thing especially if you end up at the 22' end of your range for a boat is wheelbase, for towing, especially long trailers, a longer wheel base is better.

Yes, Ur 22' boat weighs 2500 lbs that you are really concerned over, thats standard size for a boat to be towed. Sounds like the above is full of Shiet waiting for Acura to handle Shiet.

A damn Accord could tow these boats yet we have a poster that thinks different.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes, Ur 22' boat weighs 2500 lbs that you are really concerned over, thats standard size for a boat to be towed. Sounds like the above is full of Shiet waiting for Acura to handle Shiet.

Not exactly sure what you are saying but as for a 22' 2500 lb boat I think that is extremely light. Most 22' runabouts are going to top 3500lb dry with a small V8 and without trailer, add a trailer some basic boat crap and a full tank of gas and you are over 4500! On the smaller end a 19' bow rider (4 cylinder) with gas and trailer and crap is gonna push near 3500. To get down under 2500 lb wet with trailer you are going to be down to a 17-18ft bow rider (cheaper stripped boat) like the Bayliner 175.

Going on the current MDX (since their are hard numbers) I personally wouldn't want to tow anything larger than a 19' bowrider for more than an hour, but would feel fine towing a 4500 pound load to my local lake but it is only 5minutes away. As for brakes even with something like a F450 I would still prefer trailer brakes even on lighter loads because no matter how strong the brakes are they are still limited by the contact patch, adding more contact patch to the braking equation is always good!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Pro

Thumbs up

From the Edmunds review (which seems to echo what Car & Driver said in their brief MDX write-up):

At the track, Acura reps assembled the aforementioned BMW X5 3.0i and Porsche Cayenne V6, and threw in a V8-powered Volvo XC90 to add insult to injury. Granted, there were no representatives from the other vehicles' manufacturers to prepare, observe or defend the contest, so it falls short of an authorized comparison. The unofficial results, however, indicate the MDX was the superior vehicle. It was easily quicker, more controlled and entertaining when compared to the BMW or Volvo. Where the X5 and XC90 summoned either overzealous stability-control intervention or developed terminal understeer entering a corner, the MDX simply dove in and powered out of those same corners.

The Cayenne behaved like a Porsche should, rewarding an aggressive driving style with precise steering and a balanced chassis that would allow some sideways antics in both on- and off-throttle situations. It was a willing dance partner to be sure; however, the MDX was still the quicker, more confidence-inspiring vehicle — with the Porsche's stability control turned off and the MDX's still on.

When the Acura's vehicle stability assist (VSA) was shut off, it matched the Porsche's athleticism and penchant for crazy yaw angles. Nevertheless, it was obvious the 300-hp MDX had longer legs than the 247-hp Cayenne, running away on every straight bit of track.

I know some of you may not love the styling and are partial to the 1st generation, but you have to applaud Honda/Acura for a job well done. Not only is it cheaper than the competition, it's also cheaper and better packaged (i.e. more interior space). Finally a vehicle from Acura that legitimately competes with it's BMW counterpart!

Last edited by jwaters943; 09-01-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Pro

I meant to say:
"not only does it appear to be as refined as the competition, it's also cheaper and better packaged...."
Old 09-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
then that would really kill off the RL.
peak tq at 5k?
Not necessarily. The same 6 cylinder engines are used in BMWs from the 1 series to the 7 series (in Europe at least in the case of the 7 series). Acura needs to change their state of mind about why buyers buy cars. The RL does not HAVE TO have more power to justify its price premium over the TL. The RL has much more than the TL does in other areas.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

One of those tiny U-Haul containers weighs like 200lbs. Its just a box frame with wheels. 2nd of all people who want to tow don't always know what is safe to tow for all vehicles around them (smaller wheels turn at much faster speeds, they don't have brake kits to brake the trailer they are towing, that guy could have killed you, but as long as he didn't kill you its good for the MDX, etc).
Nah, my buddy weighs 200lbs...that container this guy was towing weighs a lot more than 200lbs, it was almost as big as his car. plusthe weight of whatever he has loaded in the container.

I've seen this a few times already...cars that aren't rated to tow ANYTHING towing something. I think there was a thread over in the TSX forum asking if anyone knows of any aftermarket tow packages for it.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Nah, my buddy weighs 200lbs...that container this guy was towing weighs a lot more than 200lbs, it was almost as big as his car. plusthe weight of whatever he has loaded in the container.

I've seen this a few times already...cars that aren't rated to tow ANYTHING towing something. I think there was a thread over in the TSX forum asking if anyone knows of any aftermarket tow packages for it.

You are quite right about weight of the trailer:

Uhaul weights for box trailers:

4x6 670lbs
4x8 780
5x8 900
5x10 1250
6x10 1800

even the tiny "sport trailer" weighs 535

The key with towing is their is a significant difference between towing something (just pulling it down the road) and towing it safely and in a way that doesn't destroy the tow vehicle.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you speak a foreign language? Because no one here understands wtf your trying to say.

ilitig8 sounds like he knows the ins and outs of towing. I think I'll take my adivce from him than from someone who is full of "shiet" like yourself.

Back to the MDX...

I knew Acura would pull out all stops with the new MDX, but I honestly didn't expect it to be this good. I'm just wonderng how much of the "N-ring" tuned suspension might be wasted by soccer moms in day to day urban driving.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: The Car Connection
Old 09-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

2007 Acura MDX - - by Gary Witzenburg - - Source: The Car Connection

Approaching its 21st season since landing on these shores as the first Asian luxury brand, Honda's Acura arm is working hard to upgrade its products and image from nice but bland to high-tech and hot. This effort is handicapped by the lack of a V-8 or a rear-wheel drive anywhere in its lineup…but with 300-hp V-6s and Acura's pretentiously named but highly effective Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD), they contend, who needs those?

Given the surprising performance of the new MDX, we're beginning to agree.

In marketing speak, Acura's goal is to move the MDX from its 2001-06 predecessor's "near-luxury SUV" segment (large but with little growth) to the expanding "performance SUV" niche. With stickers in the $41k-$48k range, that places it directly against the Audi Q7, Cadillac SRX, and Infiniti FX35/45, somewhere between the BMW X3 and X5 and into Porsche Cayenne territory.

"We want to pump up the emotional factor," says Product Planning Manager Scott Crail. "The target is somewhere between Audi and BMW," adds Senior VP, Automotive Operations John Mendel.

Honda/Acura targets buyers with near-comical precision. Where the previous MDX appealed to "Family Moms," Crail says this new one aims at affluent "Stylish Moms," who will either make or heavily influence the purchase decision, while shifting "Executive Driver Dads" into its sights. "The intent is to satisfy both by "breaking out of the pack" to create a new "family sport luxury SUV" combining driving excitement, prestige, and "stealth utility."

Stealth utility? That means the vehicle's styling, performance, and image are up front, while the people, cargo, and (5000-pound) towing capabilities are more covert. While the '07 is the same size as the '06 MDX on a two-inch longer wheelbase, the design makes it look smaller, with the curved triangular C-pillar obscuring the fact that there's a semi-useful third-row seat.

Enough horses from fewer cylinders

The MDX's new 3.7-liter SOHC VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) V-6 - Acura's largest and most powerful ever, and the strongest six in any U.S.-market SUV - pumps 300 peak SAE net horses and 275 lb-ft of torque through a five-speed automatic with Sequential Sport Shift. We didn't get a straight-line performance test, but 0-60 should fall into the sub-seven-second range. EPA rated economy is 17/22 mpg city/highway.

We did flog the MDX mercilessly on Pennsylvania 's BeaveRun road-racing course and found it surprisingly good. Yes, it understeered when we turned into a corner a bit late and got momentarily light cresting a fast brow, but it was otherwise virtually Velcroed to the track. Unlike the BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne (V-6), and Volvo XC90 provided for comparison, this new Acura's steering was spot-on, it turned in crisply and surely, tracked tightly and powered out of corners aggressively with a strong and satisfying engine note. Our only complaints: the brakes (Acura says they're "best in class") heated up and developed a soft pedal following repeated hard laps, and we couldn't convince the manumatic to downshift to first for the tightest turns.

Given that the Acura engineers pulled a page out of their German and U.S. competitors' book by developing the MDX's dynamics at Germany's Nuerburgring race trace, we should not have been so surprised. And the MDX - despite its substantial size and three-row utility - is in reality a car-based "crossover" SUV greatly enhanced by Acura's SH-AWD, which can transfer up to 70 percent of available torque to the rear wheels and up to 100 percent of that to the outside rear wheel. That helps glue it to dry pavement as well as to slipperier surfaces.

The new suspension geometry, MacPherson strut up front and multi-link in back, rolls on 18 x 8J alloy wheels wearing P255/55R18 all-season tires. Cooperative Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) incorporates traction control and Trailer Stability Assist and works with the SH-AWD by predicting the need for VSA and transferring torque quickly enough to eliminate it. The four-wheel-disc ABS brakes include Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist, which optimizes brake pressure in emergency stops. Using the same concept and magnetic fluid as GM's Active Handling, an available Active Damper System (part of the Sport Package) instantaneously shifts from tightly damped for aggressive driving to comfortably soft for normal cruising. This enables MDX to outperform X5 and Cayenne in performance handling and Lexus RX330 in ride, according to Vehicle Dynamics Engineer Jason Widener.

Plush where it needs to be

The odd-looking grille, which reverses past Acura practice with wide chevron-shaped chrome bars where black space normally is and black space replacing the usual thin chrome central bar. "We wanted something that stood out and caught your eye," says Chris Combs of Honda Research, which styled the new MDX in its California studio. Otherwise, MDX looks about right for its mission, with equal parts SUV aggressive and luxury impressive.

The driver-oriented interior is a right-on blend of plush and sporty. It's a three-row, seven-passenger CUV with bolstered second-row buckets as comfy as the front pair, so a middle-row center passenger essentially perches on a padded kitchen chair between them. Those second-row seats tilt and slide forward with one touch for easy access to the (kids-only) two-abreast third row, and both back rows fold flat into the floor for 83.5 cu. ft. of cargo space.

The glovebox and console storage box are huge, and the latter has a split cover so the driver can get into it without disturbing a sleeping passenger. Besides the odd, overly chromed grille, the only design details we subjectively didn't like were the shiny faux-wood interior trim and the outside mirrors, which seem to droop downward like a dog's ears.

Features and safety

Because the third leg of Acura's image stool is tech-heavy content, the standard content list is long, and three feature-laden packages are optional. A Technology Package upgrades the already premium audio to a truly awesome 410-watt, six-channel, ten-speaker ELS surround sound system with a six-disc CD/DVD-Audio changer, adds voice-recognition navigation with real-time traffic info and a rearview camera and even links the climate control to the GPS to automatically adjust temperature according to the position of the sun.

A Sport Package includes all of that plus the active dampers, auto-leveling xenon HID headlamps, premium full-grain leather seating, textured metallic interior accents and an exclusive alloy wheel design. An Entertainment Package piles on a remote power-operated tailgate, heated outboard second-row seats, a 110-volt AC power outlet and a rear-seat DVD system with a flip-down nine-inch screen, three audio jacks and a pair of Dolby Digital Surround Sound wireless headphones.

On the safety front, this new MDX boasts Acura's Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure designed to evenly distribute crash forces and has a special frame member below its front bumper to engage the front bumper of a smaller vehicle and better protect its occupants in a frontal crash. The six-airbag interior provides dual-stage, dual threshold front bags, driver and passenger side bags, and full-length side curtain bags.

If you identify with Acura's Stylish Moms or Executive Driver Dads, perhaps a luxurious, sporty, technology loaded CUV with surprising dynamics and stealth utility is what you need.

2007 Acura MDX
Base price: $37,500 (est.)
GET CURRENT PRICING
GET AN INSURANCE QUOTE
Engine: 3.7-liter SOHC VTEC V-6, 300 hp/275 lb-ft

Transmission: Five-speed automatic, all-wheel drive

Length x width x height: 190.7 x 73.6 x 68.2 in
Wheelbase: 108.3 in
Curb weight: 4541 lb
Fuel economy (EPA city/hwy): 17/22 mpg

Major standard features: HID low-beam, halogen high-beam headlamps; Tri-Zone automatic climate control with humidity control and air filtration; keyless remote; cruise control; power tilt/telescope steering wheel; power windows, locks, and mirrors; leather seating; power heated front seats (10-way driver's, 8-way passenger's); Multi-Information Display; Bluetooth wireless telephone interface; 253-watt, eight-speaker premium audio with six-disc in-dash CD, MP3, WMA changer, XM Satellite Radio, and aux input jack

Safety features: Anti-lock brakes with EBD and Brake Assist; stability control; dual front, side, and curtain airbags; front active head restraints

Warranty: Four years/50,000 miles
Old 09-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The more I look at this front, the more I like it on pics. The first time I saw the concept I hated the front. Funny how one gets used to new designs... There must be sience behind this phenomenon.

My only problem now with the exterior design is the ultra-conservative-looking wheels.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Unlike the BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne (V-6), and Volvo XC90 provided for comparison, this new Acura's steering was spot-on, it turned in crisply and surely, tracked tightly and powered out of corners aggressively with a strong and satisfying engine note.
ANother source claiming this. This is very impressive IMO.

Our only complaints: the brakes (Acura says they're "best in class") heated up and developed a soft pedal following repeated hard laps, and we couldn't convince the manumatic to downshift to first for the tightest turns.
This sounds to me like the same story with our CLS tranny. And usually manufacturers are doing this because they know the tranny cannot take the torque of low gears at certain speeds. I dont want to go further in my assumptions cos you can tell where this is going. I am sure though the tranny will be fine, durability-wise.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:30 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Not surprised about the brakes.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Pinky all stinky

Base price: $37,500 (est.)
This sounds better than the 41K number that was initially thrown around.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Not surprised about the brakes.
that and ATs seems to be the weak point in some Hondas.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Pinky all stinky

I thought I was having a deja vu, but gav that carconnection article was already posted on page 9

Quick Reply: Acura: MDX News