Acura: MDX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
I think the price is right on. Find a comparable 7-passenger luxury SUV that is less expensive. Good luck.

Acura is moving on up and I am very glad that they are making this move. They are finally starting to build vehicles to their full potential. Further, they are distancing themselves from the Honda brand which everyone has been pushing for in the last few years. A price change is definitely required for this distancing, which cuts down on cross-shopping with Honda (or non luxury vehicles).

I think the pricing is also a great move for Acura because the MDX is one of Acura's bread-and-butter vehicles (with the TL). The move upward will bring more premium customers to the Acura brand and will further the possiblity of seeing some more high-end products (and maybe increase sales of the RL). Not only do we get a better MDX, we can see an increase in overall sales by means of more affluent buyers (people who have never entered an Acura dealership before discovering various Acura vehicles...RL, TL, RDX, etc...).

Considering Acura doesn't have a v8 and this won't have a turbo v6, no the price isn't right on. They aren't moving on up, they are doing the same thing Acura and Honda have always done, improve upon a nice product, but not setting themselves ahead of other luxury companies.

Can get a new GMC Yukon for less which looks like a cadillac coming down the road after having seen one, with a 320hp v8 that most likely gets the same gas mileage as hondas v6.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:17 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fx's>murano
rx330>highlander
pilot=mdx

i just don't understand people spending 6-8k more for mdx(current model) when they can just get a pilot. for what? leather seats? acura badge?

Last edited by chungkopi; 08-26-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:20 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
Considering Acura doesn't have a v8 and this won't have a turbo v6, no the price isn't right on. They aren't moving on up, they are doing the same thing Acura and Honda have always done, improve upon a nice product, but not setting themselves ahead of other luxury companies.

Can get a new GMC Yukon for less which looks like a cadillac coming down the road after having seen one, with a 320hp v8 that most likely gets the same gas mileage as hondas v6.
well, BMW wont have a turbo 6 in the x5 when its released. Audi wont have a turbo 6 in its Q7. both 6 cylinder versions will have less hp & tq than the new MDX. both will cost more than the MDX when equally equipped.

and i doubt most people shopping for a MDX will be looking at truck-like SUVs. check out edmunds gmc yukon forum. owners are reporting 12-16 mpg. im pretty sure all honda v6's get a lot higher.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Safety Car

Lexus GX only comes with a v8 and is in that upper price range. ML500 is also available at that upper price range, on carsdirect its 44k so with AMG package it comes to 49k.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by chungkopi
fx's>murano
rx330>highlander
pilot=mdx

i just don't understand people spending 6-8k more for mdx(current model) when they can just get a pilot. for what? leather seats? acura badge?
This is comparing a 2006 MDX Touring Package vs a 07 Pilot EX-L 4WD

MDX advantages:

Better warranty.
Bluetooth HFL.
Power Passenger Seat.
Front Power Memory Seat.
Outside Temperature Gauge.
Standard Roof Rack.
+9 hp.
+10 Torque.
Limited Slip Differential.
17 inch tires (+1 inch bigger).
Speed Sensing Interval Wipers.
+1000 lb towing capacity.
Acura Brand Cachet (For what its worth).
Better interior.
Better Exterior.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
fx's>murano
rx330>highlander
pilot=mdx

If everyone thinks like that then those cars would be out of the line up.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:32 AM
fap fap fap

Lexus GX only comes with a v8 and is in that upper price range. ML500 is also available at that upper price range, on carsdirect its 44k so with AMG package it comes to 49k.
got me on the GX though a loaded RX350 is already 45k so when the next gen comes out with 3 rows i bet it will be equal if not higher priced than the MDX

u mustve picked a base ML500 because i priced out an ML350 with what im guessing will be comparable options and it came out to 48k.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by corey415

MDX advantages:

Better warranty.
Bluetooth HFL.
Power Passenger Seat.
Front Power Memory Seat.
Standard Roof Rack.
+9 hp.
+10 Torque.
Better interior.
Better Exterior.
As a Pilot owner whose best friend happens to own an MDX, I can tell you some of the things you listed are incorrect. For instance, the Pilot has an outside temperature gauge (as of 2006 at least). The towing capacity for the two vehicles is identical. They both can tow a modest 4500lbs. w/ the dealer installed towing package. Also, I'm not aware of the MDX having a Limited Slip Differential. I know that it has VSA, which has since trickled down to the Pilot, but are you sure it has a LSD? It's also worth noting that the Pilot V6 is tuned to run on regular unleaded, and it has more interior/cargo capacity with seating for 8 versus 7 in the MDX.

Either way, the new MDX looks like a significant step up from the current one. If I could get a fairly well equipped model for around $45k I'll probably trade up in 1-2 years. To put things in perspective for those of you complaining about the price of the new MDX, the current Pilot can now run up to $37-38k when fully loaded! Also, the RX and FX are similarly priced while offering much less interior space. This is all based on MSRP of course and the actual price people are paying varies. I have no doubts the next generation Pilot will touch the $40k mark when fully loaded. In the end the market will determine the real selling price of the MDX as evidenced by the fact that most people pay around $42-$45k for the RL.

Last edited by jwaters943; 08-27-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Pro

I went to acura.com and used their comparison tool. Dont shoot the messenger man.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Looks like a CRV with an 'old' GMC type rebadge tweaking minor exterior parts like headlights etc.
WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING???!!! That's the stupidest comment ever!.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

I think he wanted to join the club with the BMW camp and rage against all other automotive manufacturers using the same underpinnings for two+ lines..but he's too stupid to realize the MDX and CRV are, well, different.

I also think that the Pilot offers a lot for the money, the difference is definitely in styling more than anything. But that's kind of the whole point, isn't it? The new MDX should get SH-AWD too if Acura keeps up the trend..
Old 08-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vishnus11
modest, aren't you

I was mostly referring to how accurate C+D was back then. It's hard to know what's happening with Japanese companies to that granular level.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:44 PM
hail to the victors

Originally Posted by corey415

MDX advantages:

Better warranty.
Bluetooth HFL.
Power Passenger Seat.
Front Power Memory Seat.
Standard Roof Rack.
+9 hp.
+10 Torque.
Better interior.
Better Exterior.
minus better interior and exterior
Old 08-28-2006, 08:00 AM
Pro

I for one think it looks great. Kudos to Acura for trying something different with the styling of the front end. From that picture I think it is mostly successful. We'll need to see it live to tell for sure.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianRage
+1
Old 08-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The sad thing is this car will probably start in the low 60's and top out near $70K here in Canuckistan.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i actually think Acura is doing a good thing by raising prices, such as with the next MDX...

it's funny how people complain about Acura being too close in price and product to Honda, but when they start to differentiate in both product (styling, SH-AWD, options and equipment) and price, people complain that it costs too much more than the previous generation.

The price difference between an Acura and Honda variant were much smaller 5-6 years ago (Accord/TL/CL, MDX/Pilot). I'm sure the RDX and next gen. CR-V price difference is giong to be huge relative to what we are used to seeing from Honda/Acura. The TL Type-S price difference between a top-line Accord is also going to be huge, not to mention the next gen. Pilot and this MDX.

In about 2-3 years, no one will be complaining because people will have gotten used to paying more for an Acura over a Honda...and that's the point. They want people to get used to paying a "premium" cost for a "premium" name, and that's just one of the few steps they need to do to raise their image.

I like this MDX...just hope it gets HIDs.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
i actually think Acura is doing a good thing by raising prices, such as with the next MDX...
If the features justify the price difference, that's fine. The problem is the base price is too high, especially if you convert currencies. Although they haven't announced pricing for Canada yet, dealers are estimating $5K more than last year, putting a fully-loaded MDX just shy of $70K. Would you pay ~$62K USD for an MDX? I think I'd rather have two TSX's.

Acura should stick to being a value luxury brand. They should deliver more for the money when compared to BMW/MB/Lexus. A loaded MDX will be within a grand of a Lexus GX470 and within $5K of an X5 4.4i. That's pretty big competition and I don't think I'd really be considering an Acura at that level.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

minus better interior and exterior
If you like extremely generic styling, of course.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
If the features justify the price difference, that's fine. The problem is the base price is too high, especially if you convert currencies. Although they haven't announced pricing for Canada yet, dealers are estimating $5K more than last year, putting a fully-loaded MDX just shy of $70K. Would you pay ~$62K USD for an MDX? I think I'd rather have two TSX's.

Acura should stick to being a value luxury brand. They should deliver more for the money when compared to BMW/MB/Lexus. A loaded MDX will be within a grand of a Lexus GX470 and within $5K of an X5 4.4i. That's pretty big competition and I don't think I'd really be considering an Acura at that level.
You mean $62K CAD right?
Of course, you've already consider that the Lexus and BMW might get a hike in price when the respective new models get introduced? And even at the fully loaded price, I'd doubt that the MDX will still be as expensive as the Lexus and BMW with the comparatively optioned price. That's where my perspective lies
Old 08-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Suzuka Master

not sure about the Canadian "premium" that you guys have to pay up there...blame canada, but a $45-55k US priced MDX would be a nice price progression, if the equipment level and/or quality justifies it of course.

I disagree with you...I think Acura should move away from being a value-luxury brand. They should design cars that people want to buy because people really like the car, not because they get "value" from it. it won't hurt that the car in a particular segment is a value "leader", but I see a difference between being a value-luxury brand and being a value "leader".

I think of a value luxury brand as focusing on price, while a value leader focuses on equipment level and quality. A value-luxury brand would offer cars with a lot value, but is limited by the overall price. There is VERY little value in a $50k car. SUV's are a little different, but you get the idea. If there is very little value at that price range, then the value luxury brand wouldn't even consider competing at that price range.

OTOH, a value "leader" can compete at ANY level. A $90k car can be the value leader if its closest comparable competition costs $100k (same equipment level and quality but at a better price).

These are my ideas, so feel free to form your own or disagree if you want. A classic example of a value leader would be Lexus...they offer cars that are very comparable in quality/purpose/equipment to the competition (mainly MB), but at a better price.

Another example would be Infiniti...they offer comprable quality/purpose/equipment to the competition (mainly BMW), but at a better price.

I think Acura is attempting to be a value leader, especially since the intro of the RL and RDX. Prices have moved up beyond what anyone would consider a "value" (face it, can a $50k RL do $25k more than a midlevel Accord?)...but Acuras would still be a value leaders in its respective segments...ie comparably equipped midsize luxury sedans or SUVS or whatever. The RL's problem was that it competed in a very narrow category because of lack of options/engines, but it was still the value leader in its specific equipment category.

And in the premium brand wars, value isn't as big a deal as some people think. When was the last time BMW offered a car with equipment levels that justified the price? yet they continue to sell well.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:54 PM
fap fap fap

i agree that acura is doing good by raising the prices a bit. some people complained because acura isnt upscale enough or too close in price with honda to be mentioned with audi/bmw/lexus. and now they complain again when prices creep up.

acuras already come loaded with only a couple of options to choose from. a 2006 X5 3.0 starts around 43k. heated seats, optional. rear window tint, optional. moonroof & bluetooth, optional. 18" wheels & HID's, optional. add it up and it will be around 48k, about equal to a loaded top of line MDX, except you only get 220 lbs of torque.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Photography Nerd

If you keep bumping the prices, you go after a different consumer.

When the MDX cost $35K they attracted a different customer than they will at $45K. There's nothing wrong with that, but Acura has basically alienated a large part of their current customer base. It's just a business decision they've made, and unless their customers are making 30% more today than they were a few years ago, I don't think they'll have many repeat customers.

I bet sales of comparable high-end Honda vehicles will increase as the pricing of Acura models increase. Honda will gladly accept the person who wants to spend $35K on an full-size SUV that Acura doesn't want to cater to any more.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

If you keep bumping the prices, you go after a different consumer.

When the MDX cost $35K they attracted a different customer than they will at $45K. There's nothing wrong with that, but Acura has basically alienated a large part of their current customer base. It's just a business decision they've made, and unless their customers are making 30% more today than they were a few years ago, I don't think they'll have many repeat customers.

I bet sales of comparable high-end Honda vehicles will increase as the pricing of Acura models increase. Honda will gladly accept the person who wants to spend $35K on an full-size SUV that Acura doesn't want to cater to any more.
And that's exactly what Honda/Acura needs...for the customers who demand value, they can stick with Honda. For people who want a "premium" product and are willing to pay a "premium" price, they can come to the Acura store. they still get the value relative to other premium brands, but not at a price where it ends up costing Acura its prestige or image.

Let's face it...with Accords and Camries approaching the mid-$30k mark, Acura needs to move upmarket or to close shop altogether.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

And that's exactly what Honda/Acura needs...for the customers who demand value, they can stick with Honda. For people who want a "premium" product and are willing to pay a "premium" price, they can come to the Acura store. they still get the value relative to other premium brands, but not at a price where it ends up costing Acura its prestige or image.

Let's face it...with Accords and Camries approaching the mid-$30k mark, Acura needs to move upmarket or to close shop altogether.
Completely!
Old 08-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Well put!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AsianRage
Looking at the profiles they look derivative of each other without even a stretch of the imagination.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Photography Nerd

I guess Honda better hope they have a good enough lineup to catch the people who used to have Acuras, otherwise I can see them taking a walk over to one of the competitors.

It's very tricky for a cheap brand to move upmarket, but it's quite easy for an expensive brand to move downmarket. If Ferrari made a $50,000 car, they'd sell every one they could make. But if Kia were to make a $400,000 car, it would be a hard sell. To a lesser extent, look at what happened to VW when they've tried to move upmarket by introducing the Phaeton and raising their prices: now the Phaeton is discontinued and they just dropped prices across the board. Did they ever sell one of those $100,000 V10 Touareg's?

I hope Acura can pull it off, but it's not going to be easy. What they need to do is be really innovative and introduce some class-leading vehicles, rather than vehicles that are pretty good but cheaper than the competition. It would be nice to see an RL with 400hp, a RWD TL or CL, and a turbo TSX based on the RDX. Also a few "unique to Acura" models would be nice, rather than current lineup which draws heavily from the Honda parts bin.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

But there's a difference between VW and Acura...one is a premium brand and one is not. what VW did is synonymous to Honda introducing a brand new model at $60k, or Kia introducing a brand new $50k model.

Acura is not doing this. THey are moving upmarket by increasing the price of successive generations of models by larger increments, $5k to $10k at most. This is TOTALLY different than introducing a brand new model (Phaeton) with unproven name and history at $30k more than the next model down. It's no wonder the Phaeton failed...they put the wagon before the horse (introduced a significantly upmarket model before they ever got upmarket).

and it will be difficult for them because of the competition. Lexus had no real competition when Acura and Infiniti faltered, so they were able to capitalize on that advantage. Acura (and Infiniti) have each other to fight out, but also the established players.

Honda is already established with quality products with a quality reputation...the Accord has continued to move upmarket with every successive generation. If they want to continue improving the Accord to copmete with the Camry, they HAVE to move Acura upmarket or risk running right over Acura.

Last edited by mrdeeno; 08-28-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:29 PM
fap fap fap

Acura did start out as a premium brand though while VW started as the affordable european car or the people's car
Old 08-28-2006, 11:22 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
So much for the embargo.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehi...81.A10811.html

Just as I suspected, fake wood.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phile
So much for the embargo.
good lookin out....

Old 08-29-2006, 06:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Approaching its 21st season since landing on these shores as the first Asian luxury brand, Honda's Acura arm is working hard to upgrade its products and image from nice but bland to high-tech and hot. This effort is handicapped by the lack of a V-8 or a rear-wheel drive anywhere in its lineup…but with 300-hp V-6s and Acura's pretentiously named but highly effective Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD), they contend, who needs those?

Given the surprising performance of the new MDX, we're beginning to agree.

In marketing speak, Acura's goal is to move the MDX from its 2001-06 predecessor's "near-luxury SUV" segment (large but with little growth) to the expanding "performance SUV" niche. With stickers in the $41k-$48k range, that places it directly against the Audi Q7, Cadillac SRX, and Infiniti FX35/45, somewhere between the BMW X3 and X5 and into Porsche Cayenne territory.

"We want to pump up the emotional factor," says Product Planning Manager Scott Crail. "The target is somewhere between Audi and BMW," adds Senior VP, Automotive Operations John Mendel.

Honda/Acura targets buyers with near-comical precision. Where the previous MDX appealed to "Family Moms," Crail says this new one aims at affluent "Stylish Moms," who will either make or heavily influence the purchase decision, while shifting "Executive Driver Dads" into its sights. "The intent is to satisfy both by "breaking out of the pack" to create a new "family sport luxury SUV" combining driving excitement, prestige, and "stealth utility."

Stealth utility? That means the vehicle's styling, performance, and image are up front, while the people, cargo, and (5000-pound) towing capabilities are more covert. While the '07 is the same size as the '06 MDX on a two-inch longer wheelbase, the design makes it look smaller, with the curved triangular C-pillar obscuring the fact that there's a semi-useful third-row seat.

Enough horses from fewer cylinders

The MDX's new 3.7-liter SOHC VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) V-6 - Acura's largest and most powerful ever, and the strongest six in any U.S.-market SUV - pumps 300 peak SAE net horses and 275 lb-ft of torque through a five-speed automatic with Sequential Sport Shift. We didn't get a straight-line performance test, but 0-60 should fall into the sub-seven-second range. EPA rated economy is 17/22 mpg city/highway.

We did flog the MDX mercilessly on Pennsylvania 's BeaveRun road-racing course and found it surprisingly good. Yes, it understeered when we turned into a corner a bit late and got momentarily light cresting a fast brow, but it was otherwise virtually Velcroed to the track. Unlike the BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne (V-6), and Volvo XC90 provided for comparison, this new Acura's steering was spot-on, it turned in crisply and surely, tracked tightly and powered out of corners aggressively with a strong and satisfying engine note. Our only complaints: the brakes (Acura says they're "best in class") heated up and developed a soft pedal following repeated hard laps, and we couldn't convince the manumatic to downshift to first for the tightest turns.

Given that the Acura engineers pulled a page out of their German and U.S. competitors' book by developing the MDX's dynamics at Germany's Nuerburgring race trace, we should not have been so surprised. And the MDX - despite its substantial size and three-row utility - is in reality a car-based "crossover" SUV greatly enhanced by Acura's SH-AWD, which can transfer up to 70 percent of available torque to the rear wheels and up to 100 percent of that to the outside rear wheel. That helps glue it to dry pavement as well as to slipperier surfaces.

The new suspension geometry, MacPherson strut up front and multi-link in back, rolls on 18 x 8J alloy wheels wearing P255/55R18 all-season tires. Cooperative Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) incorporates traction control and Trailer Stability Assist and works with the SH-AWD by predicting the need for VSA and transferring torque quickly enough to eliminate it. The four-wheel-disc ABS brakes include Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist, which optimizes brake pressure in emergency stops. Using the same concept and magnetic fluid as GM's Active Handling, an available Active Damper System (part of the Sport Package) instantaneously shifts from tightly damped for aggressive driving to comfortably soft for normal cruising. This enables MDX to outperform X5 and Cayenne in performance handling and Lexus RX330 in ride, according to Vehicle Dynamics Engineer Jason Widener.

Plush where it needs to be

The odd-looking grille, which reverses past Acura practice with wide chevron-shaped chrome bars where black space normally is and black space replacing the usual thin chrome central bar. "We wanted something that stood out and caught your eye," says Chris Combs of Honda Research, which styled the new MDX in its California studio. Otherwise, MDX looks about right for its mission, with equal parts SUV aggressive and luxury impressive.

The driver-oriented interior is a right-on blend of plush and sporty. It's a three-row, seven-passenger CUV with bolstered second-row buckets as comfy as the front pair, so a middle-row center passenger essentially perches on a padded kitchen chair between them. Those second-row seats tilt and slide forward with one touch for easy access to the (kids-only) two-abreast third row, and both back rows fold flat into the floor for 83.5 cu. ft. of cargo space.

The glovebox and console storage box are huge, and the latter has a split cover so the driver can get into it without disturbing a sleeping passenger. Besides the odd, overly chromed grille, the only design details we subjectively didn't like were the shiny faux-wood interior trim and the outside mirrors, which seem to droop downward like a dog's ears.

Features and safety

Because the third leg of Acura's image stool is tech-heavy content, the standard content list is long, and three feature-laden packages are optional.

A Technology Package upgrades the already premium audio to a truly awesome 410-watt, six-channel, ten-speaker ELS surround sound system with a six-disc CD/DVD-Audio changer, adds voice-recognition navigation with real-time traffic info and a rearview camera and even links the climate control to the GPS to automatically adjust temperature according to the position of the sun.

A Sport Package includes all of that plus the active dampers, auto-leveling xenon HID headlamps, premium full-grain leather seating, textured metallic interior accents and an exclusive alloy wheel design.

An Entertainment Package piles on a remote power-operated tailgate, heated outboard second-row seats, a 110-volt AC power outlet and a rear-seat DVD system with a flip-down nine-inch screen, three audio jacks and a pair of Dolby Digital Surround Sound wireless headphones.

On the safety front, this new MDX boasts Acura's Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure designed to evenly distribute crash forces and has a special frame member below its front bumper to engage the front bumper of a smaller vehicle and better protect its occupants in a frontal crash. The six-airbag interior provides dual-stage, dual threshold front bags, driver and passenger side bags, and full-length side curtain bags.

If you identify with Acura's Stylish Moms or Executive Driver Dads, perhaps a luxurious, sporty, technology loaded CUV with surprising dynamics and stealth utility is what you need.

2007 Acura MDX

Base price: $37,500 (est.)
GET CURRENT PRICING
GET AN INSURANCE QUOTE
Engine: 3.7-liter SOHC VTEC V-6, 300 hp/275 lb-ft

Transmission: Five-speed automatic, all-wheel drive

Length x width x height: 190.7 x 73.6 x 68.2 in
Wheelbase: 108.3 in
Curb weight: 4541 lb
Fuel economy (EPA city/hwy): 17/22 mpg

Major standard features: HID low-beam, halogen high-beam headlamps; Tri-Zone automatic climate control with humidity control and air filtration; keyless remote; cruise control; power tilt/telescope steering wheel; power windows, locks, and mirrors; leather seating; power heated front seats (10-way driver's, 8-way passenger's); Multi-Information Display; Bluetooth wireless telephone interface; 253-watt, eight-speaker premium audio with six-disc in-dash CD, MP3, WMA changer, XM Satellite Radio, and aux input jack

Safety features: Anti-lock brakes with EBD and Brake Assist; stability control; dual front, side, and curtain airbags; front active head restraints

Warranty: Four years/50,000 miles
Old 08-29-2006, 07:08 AM
Pro

I'm getting more and more impressed, but still don't know about that grill (I'm hoping it looks better in person).

Some things I'm happy to see:

-Estimated base price is $37500
-Weight and size of vehicle have stayed the same, but it now has approx. 50 more horsepower
-Active dampers on sport package similar to GM's magnetic suspension available on the Corvette & XLR
-Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel
-HID headlights....finally!!!

Some things I'm not so happy about:

-Power tailgate only comes bundled in an option package that included RES & Rear Heated Seats
-Wood is fake (hopefully it looks better in person than the 1st generation MDX's fake wood, because there sure is a lot of it)
Old 08-29-2006, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Cool...looks like Acura is getting away from the "one-size-fits-all" approach and is offering more and more options packages.

I gotta say that this thing is hot and I am really feeling the new grille.

Only thing that is missing is adaptive headlights, but it's more of a superfluous feature than a real safety feature (I have it on my M, it doesn't make much difference and i doubt it would prevent you from hitting like that lexus commercial portrays...when making right turns, it lights up the trees. when making left turns, it doesn't swing far enough to be effective).

Another thing is the faux wood. They might as well tack on an extra $200-300 per car and give us real wood or aluminum trim or something...i'm sure no one paying $37k+ for a car is more likely to complain about faux wood/trim than they are to complain about $200-300 more on the MSRP, especially if they never knew there was $200-300 added in the first place. Either that or get rid of the GPS linked climate control...I'd rather have real wood or alum. trim.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Professional Newbie

My '06 ML with the same luxuries as my TSX (leather, moonroof, metallic paint, navi, dual climate control, heated seats, etc...) came out to be closer to 70k so....its def not 49k
Old 08-29-2006, 10:54 AM
fap fap fap

the grill is nice. 2 things i'd wish for is real aluminum trim (anyone got pix of a mdx sport?) and ventilated seats.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I make a lot of money and I can't afford this without a retarded car payment.

That is seriously fucked up.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
The grille is hot. The concept version had it and I didnt find it weird at all. I hope they kept the gill slits on top of the hood too. Can't see them from these initial pics.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Pro

Damn the MDX looks sweet!

Quick Reply: Acura: MDX News