Acura: CL news

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by AcuraFan
Generally, discontinued cars see a drop in sales. The way it sounds, Acura dealers have CLs on their lots that they just can't sell. We're not going to see a sudden increase in demand just because they stopped making a poorly selling car. So chances are, we'll see a drop in resale value for atleast for a few years. As it is, resale on the CL isn't the greatest. I highly doubt we'll see an aftermarket demand like there is/was with the Legend.

The VW Corrado was discontinued after only about 3-4 years of production in the U.S. because of sales as well. Nevertheless, the demand for them is high a whole ten years later. Some are being sold for as much as $13,000 today. Why is that??? Because they're not sitting on any used or even new car lots waiting to be bought by some schmuck who saw one blow past him on the interstate yesterday. My cousin recently bought one and searched for over a year and a half to find it. When he did, we drove 3 hours just so he could have it. It's a known fact that when there's less of something available, it appreciates in value.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Rufio-1
The VW Corrado was discontinued after only about 3-4 years of production in the U.S. because of sales as well. Nevertheless, the demand for them is high a whole ten years later. Some are being sold for as much as $13,000 today. Why is that??? Because they're not sitting on any used or even new car lots waiting to be bought by some schmuck who saw one blow past him on the interstate yesterday. My cousin recently bought one and searched for over a year and a half to find it. When he did, we drove 3 hours just so he could have it. It's a known fact that when there's less of something available, it appreciates in value.
You're right about "less of something available, it appreciates", it's called supply and demand. But the way I see it, there is high supply and low demand for the CL. Acura made quite a few of them. The Corrado probably had pretty limited production numbers making them rare. The CL isn't a rare car, it just has rare customers. Especially if they replace it. Who's going to want a discontinued, poor selling coupe when they can get the latest and greatest. All I'm saying is, don't get your hopes up on having a great resale on your CL when a vast majority of discontinued cars drop in price.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by blackmagiCL_S
Why is is so hard to believe that maybe Acura is either taking a year off from the CL (didn't they do this between gen1 and gen2?)
There was no 2000 MY (model year) CL produced. The was a gap in CL production, so we'll have to wait till the 2005 Acuras come out to see if the CL re-joins the lineup (or a renamed 2 door coupe replacement). Some people don't want a hatchback (like the RSX), and aren't ready for a 4door sedan (I'm still single, and I ain't gonna buy a sedan or minivan for a long as I'm single).

Originally posted by Rufio-1
The VW Corrado was discontinued after only about 3-4 years of production in the U.S. because of sales as well. Nevertheless, the demand for them is high a whole ten years later. Some are being sold for as much as $13,000 today. Why is that???
Mmmm... Corrado SLC... V6 and still holding it's value amazing well. The 4cly Corrado (g50 supercharger on the 4cly) also holds it's value too. They have acceived an cult following in the watercooled vw world. I looked at getting one of those (I'm a VW fan), but the high prices and low supply, had me looking at Honda/Acura products instead.

For more Corrado info check out the vwvortex
Old 03-31-2003, 02:32 AM
Convicted RSX-S rapist

The CL will suffer the same fate as the Lude......not enough sales although they are both great cars.

I agree with bringing back a Prelude, under the Honda name, and a more "luxurious" twin for Acura, kind of like the 350Z/G35 models.......oh well. It won't happen.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by dat.silver.lude
The CL will suffer the same fate as the Lude......not enough sales although they are both great cars.

I agree with bringing back a Prelude, under the Honda name, and a more "luxurious" twin for Acura, kind of like the 350Z/G35 models.......oh well. It won't happen.
I would like to see the Prelude return as well, but I doubt it will happen. Most likely, what we'll see is an S2000 (S2200?) coupe. I've seen a picture of it and it's kinda ugle but oh well...Honda wouldn't need 2 coupes so no Prelude.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:28 AM
| Infinitely Variable |

Honda Motor cancels Acura Cl coupe

TORRANCE, Calif. -- Honda Motor Co., Japan's second-biggest carmaker, is scrapping the Acura CL coupe after a drop in sales and is pricing the new Acura TSX sport sedan below rival models from Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus and Bayerische Motoren Werke AG's BMW to boost the brand's average sales growth. The 2004 TSX went on sale Thursday for $26,490, Acura spokesman Matt Pearson said. The sports car costs at least $1,000 less than models Honda identified as its main competitors. CL coupe sales dropped 25 percent in March from the year before and posted a 35 percent decline in the first quarter.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Old 04-05-2003, 12:57 AM
Safety Car

Nissan Motor Co is Japan's second-biggest carmaker

acura has to identify competitors for the tsx? sounds like a real classleader.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:00 PM
It's easier to bleed

Generally, discontinued cars see a drop in sales. The way it sounds, Acura dealers have CLs on their lots that they just can't sell. We're not going to see a sudden increase in demand just because they stopped making a poorly selling car. So chances are, we'll see a drop in resale value for atleast for a few years. As it is, resale on the CL isn't the greatest. I highly doubt we'll see an aftermarket demand like there is/was with the Legend.
I would tend to agree with you, especially in the short term, but I have to wonder - What was the general consensus when they discontinued the Legend?
Old 04-05-2003, 12:11 PM
| Infinitely Variable |

Originally posted by heyitsme
Nissan Motor Co is Japan's second-biggest carmaker

uh no. Honda has more sales worldwide, and in Japan too. Nissan only produces more cars at home. Doesnt mean they sell more too.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by dual6spd'r
I would tend to agree with you, especially in the short term, but I have to wonder - What was the general consensus when they discontinued the Legend?
You're right. The Legend holds its value exceptionally well. But that was a very popular car and one of the best Japanese luxury cars in history. And as far as I can tell it went out on top. The CL however is going out with poor sales and has no name recognition outside the Acura circle of consumers. You ask most car enthusiats (even those who don't like Japanese cars) and they will most likely remember the Legend and comment on how great it was. But you ask them about the CL and most won't even know what it is. The CL is a great car it just doesn't have the "fan following" or recognition it takes to suddenly be hot car after its production run.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:53 PM
Safety Car

i was refering to this:

Automotive News / February 03, 2003
TOKYO - With the biggest production increase among Japan's Big 5 automakers last year, Nissan Motor Co. reclaimed its title as Japan's No. 2 carmaker behind Toyota Motor Corp.

not all that important though. i was thinking that since honda has 'officically' canceled the cl, basically removing the name from their line up, that leaves room for the re-introduction of another better known luxury coupe from the 90's...
Old 04-05-2003, 08:41 PM
It's easier to bleed

You're right. The Legend holds its value exceptionally well. But that was a very popular car and one of the best Japanese luxury cars in history. And as far as I can tell it went out on top. The CL however is going out with poor sales and has no name recognition outside the Acura circle of consumers. You ask most car enthusiats (even those who don't like Japanese cars) and they will most likely remember the Legend and comment on how great it was. But you ask them about the CL and most won't even know what it is. The CL is a great car it just doesn't have the "fan following" or recognition it takes to suddenly be hot car after its production run.
You are so right - I have yet to meet anyone who knows what a CL is, while most have heard of the Legend. As much as I love my CL I have to admit that the Legend is a much better car - it has a much better build quality and just feels more solid. Of course the CL has a much better drive train - wish I could transplant it into the Legend. Now that would be an amazing car!
Old 04-05-2003, 11:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, rumors are abound on the RL redesign. Hopefully we'll see the return of a Legend with the new RL. But we can only wait and see.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:18 AM
1st Gear

Yes, the Legend ...
Old 04-18-2003, 01:19 PM

Acura will not bring back the Legend name. That would accept defeat. The names are for Hondas.

What's gonna happen with this site?
Old 04-23-2003, 10:37 AM
112K and on 1st tranny!

just look at it this way all our CL's will now be worth more and hold their value just like the 5th generation preludes are holding these days. I currently have a 98 3.0 CL and i just came from a 91 legend coupe. the legend coupe is undeniably one of the classiest looking cars and will never age. it was a milestone in the automotive industry but with the RL succeeding the legend sedan, the legend will never come back b/c the rights to produce the car after 1996 was sold to DAEWOO. I was surprised by move when i heard of it so i checked it out and it seems that in 1996-1998 in asia the legend was rebadged and sold as a daewoo. the name is dead and so is the design. long live the legend!
Old 04-23-2003, 02:30 PM

just look at it this way all our CL's will now be worth more and hold their value just like the 5th generation preludes are holding these days. I currently have a 98 3.0 CL and i just came from a 91 legend coupe. the legend coupe is undeniably one of the classiest looking cars and will never age. it was a milestone in the automotive industry
Yes, the car will not age but a milestone? Most cars that are discontinued have their re-sales plummet. Only rare, desireable cars that are no longer produced become collectible.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:07 PM
__

DrDre, Honda still owns the "Legend" name. The RL is called Legend in japan...nice try.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Acura CL is axed - - we know but here it is in writing

Acura to axe slow-selling CL coupe by end of '03 model year

Acura will cancel its slow-selling CL coupe with the end of 2003 model year production this fall, company officials confirm. An Acura spokesman says dealers learned of the cancellation plan in February, but official notification came just last month.

Acura has sold just 2974 CLs so far this year, down 35.5 percent from the first four months of 2002. Official word is that dropping the CL provided money to develop the all-new TL sedan due later this year.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=07666437
Old 05-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Hey if they sold less than 3000 last year, that makes our car, almost as rare as a Boxster S
Old 05-08-2003, 12:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

May be the best time to negotiate a 2003 6 Speed
Old 05-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Racer

Originally posted by gavriil
May be the best time to negotiate a 2003 6 Speed
That's what I was thinking to. I have gotten a couple of dealers down to invoice by telling them I knew it was to be discontinued. Of course they never acknoledged this. Now that it's official.......??
Old 05-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

You can go below invoice easy on the CLS. I did that on a 2001, it should be a piece of cake for the 2003 when everyone knows it's axed.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

And another source with a little bit more info:

Honda To Quit Making Acura CL
The Daily Auto Insider
Wednesday, May 7, 2003
May 2003

Honda will discontinue building the Acura CL sports coupe, its first car fully designed and produced in the United States, the Associated Press reported, citing slumping sales as the reason.

The Acura CL, introduced in 1996, is made only in Marysville, a central Ohio city. Production will end this summer, the story said.

Overall production levels and employment at the plant, which is now at 5,800 workers, won't be affected, Honda said.

Honda has been making about 1,000 Acura CLs a month at the plant, which represents 2 percent of total production.

The Acura CL, redesigned for the 2001 model year, started strong, but sales dropped in recent years, Acura spokesman Mike Spencer said. Sales fell 36 percent to 12,072 last year and this year sales were off 36 percent through the end of April. Acura has no plans to make another sports coupe, a company spokesman said.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Certified Lurker

Acura has no plans to make another sports coupe, a company spokesman said.
Well, i guess this pritty much puts an ax in the idea of a one model year hiatus...

Dont expect another CL or sport coupe of any sort for a LONG time from acura everyone.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:28 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Acura CL is axed - - we know but here it is in writing

Acura to axe slow-selling CL coupe by end of '03 model year

Acura will cancel its slow-selling CL coupe with the end of 2003 model year production this fall, company officials confirm. An Acura spokesman says dealers learned of the cancellation plan in February, but official notification came just last month.

Acura has sold just 2974 CLs so far this year, down 35.5 percent from the first four months of 2002. Official word is that dropping the CL provided money to develop the all-new TL sedan due later this year.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=07666437

so if they made 2700 6 speeds and only sold 2974 cars.............are only 274 autos
Old 05-08-2003, 10:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Re: Acura CL is axed - - we know but here it is in writing

Originally posted by jts1207
so if they made 2700 6 speeds and only sold 2974 cars.............are only 274 autos
The 2700 number is for the total for MY (model year) 2003. They started selling the MY 2003 in March(??) of 2002.

The 2974 cars sold is for the CY (calendar year) 2003 (since JAN 1st, 2003).

I bought my CLS for $500 over invoice last Oct, before the rumors of the discontinuation started. Getting it for under invoice now should be easy.

As a point of reference I got a 2002 Accord EX V6 down to about $1700 under invoice back in Sept 2002. Ended up buying the CLS instead.

Acura has no plans to make another sports coupe, a company spokesman said.
Ouch, that hurts... I guess I be driving the CLS for awhile, or at least looking at a Nissan 350Z/Infiniti G35c vehicle for my next car.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:12 PM

I just saw the report on T.V., on Autoweek. Said dealers knew in February and got it in writing last month.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:54 PM
__

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I just saw the report on T.V., on Autoweek. Said dealers knew in February and got it in writing last month.
is there an echo in here? (read gav's post again)
Old 05-13-2003, 04:18 PM
Cruisin'

I looked at a 2003 CL-S this past weekend and if I traded my 2001 CL with 26,700 miles for it, my payment would balloon to $650.00 a month. They would allow $18,000 trade-in value for mine and the CL-S was $31,000. I like my CL but I would probably sell it to buy a Dodge Ram 1/2 Ton truck with the
Hemi V8 before I would buy another CL.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:18 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Here in Florida, at Delray Acura, they've had a black CL-S CompTeched out including, springs, headers and exhausts and has the 6 speed. It's been in the showroom for months. Someone could get a great deal on that sucker.