6spd G35 4door

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 11:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6spd G35 4door

was reading at car and driver..great deal.. under 30k for 6spd..

Zero to 60 mph: 5.9 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 14.4 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.3 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.2 sec @ 99 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 146 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 153 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g
EPA fuel economy, city driving: 20 mpg
C/D-observed fuel economy: 20 mpg

very impressive numbers and great value too...if one can accept a little bit more economical interior..this thing is a great value... they mentioned it being 10k cheaper than the 330i sport too..but the 330i gets 5.6sec from 0-60 and a tad faster than the 14.3 quartermile of the bimmer... but i would still get the bimmer anyday.. the driving dynamics and steering is still behind..but this should make it a alternative to the TSX buyers who want performance at similar price and a bit of luxury too.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Yeah ... as you known I traded in my 5AT G35 (if the 6MT was out that might have been a tougher sell ) for my TSX.

I think the type of buyer that will go for the G35 will have the following preferences in a sedan:

1) Performance (acceleration)
2) Performance (handling)
3) Performance (braking)
4) Interior space
5) Luxury features
1,000,000) Interior quality RELATIVE to the rest of the car

I think one of the problems is 1-5 set the expectation that the interior will be Audi/BMW-like, but they had to cut the cost somewhere and for a LOT of folks they did it in the right place. But make no mistake about it, this car brakes, accelerates, handles, and cruises at high speed with cars WAY more than what the G35 costs. By the way - watch out for the read end ... that thing cuts loose in a heartbeat

For me it was $500+ car payment for a car I drive 2 times a week ... just didn't make sense. Plus - I found out the interior ranking quite a bit higher than I expected in my preferences. Don't underestimate how much bad ergonomics and cheap quality materials can affect you when the inside of the car is where you spend all your time
Old 10-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

yes...the interior was somewhat of a letdown in the G35.... but my gf is still torn between the G35 coupe or RX-8... i'm pushing for the RX-8 then i dont have to buy one myself and pay for it.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:15 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
So, you already drive a 330xi and now you'll be driving either a RX-8 or G35 Coupe part time. Now I know why noone likes you Gilbo

Since you'll be driving it as well, I'd tell her to get an 83 Chevette, I hear you can get a great deal on one these days.

Seriously, I'd go for the G35 coupe. The RX-8 is plauged by those low end tourque problems your always complaining about.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:22 PM

The G35 sedan is the car to have from 28-32k bar-none.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:36 AM
Banned

I test drove a G35 M6 one month ago. I was impressed. Even the interior was better than I thought. I hated the mediocre Maxima 2004 I also drove that day, but this one gained some points in my book. It really feel like a 30K$ car, to the contrary of the Maxima.

The major G35 turn-off for me is its exterior styling. Coupe looks awesome, though.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

for the money/fun ratio...i would agree the G35 has all cars beat beat including the TSX and 3-series...but i dont like the sedan and it still feels just a bit less than what i needed..or i could've saved some money with a G35 coupe.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Cruisin'

Go G35!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll go with the G35C if I a pic of RX8 and G35C~~
Old 10-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

I was in between the TSX and the G35. I decided for the G35. I strongly think that even though the Acura has the interior advantage, the rest goes to the G35. And trust me is not that bad, the problem is that the TSX is so good interior wise (let's say a 9) and the g35 is a 7. If you don't need FWD, then the G35 is the way to go. It is nice to press on the gas hard and not having to control the steering like crazy. It is like, Oh ! that's the way is suppose to be !! But you must drive both extensibly to make a decision. Good luck, and enjoy the searc.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:28 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ALFA
I was in between the TSX and the G35. I decided for the G35. I strongly think that even though the Acura has the interior advantage, the rest goes to the G35. And trust me is not that bad, the problem is that the TSX is so good interior wise (let's say a 9) and the g35 is a 7. If you don't need FWD, then the G35 is the way to go. It is nice to press on the gas hard and not having to control the steering like crazy. It is like, Oh ! that's the way is suppose to be !! But you must drive both extensibly to make a decision. Good luck, and enjoy the searc.
Quick question for you, Alfa. I was over at my Infiniti dealer looking at the G35 this weekend (I really like the car -- almost bought one), and I happened to see a few of them over in the service dept. with black interiors. To my shock, the leather on the driver's seat looked horrible in comparison to the other seats! The leather was cracked and abraded, and I was quite surprised with how aged it looked. Have you found this to be the case with your G? I'm thinking the owners of those cars probably weren't careful (i.e. cleaning/conditioning the leather every 2-3 months) or that excess wear just comes with the territory of having black leather. I am now firmly in the quartz camp as I would be devestated if the leather in my TL deteriorated to the same degree in such a short time. Do you think the willow holds up better?
Old 10-20-2003, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

I only have 1,000 miles on it, so I can't answer that question. However, I can tell you that the one thing I really miss from my Alfa 164 is the quality of the leather, the complete gauge cluster and all iluminated controls. I test drove the Saab, TSX and of course the G35 and none of those cars can match the 164. If you ever have the opportunity to look inside a 164 S (the sport version) I think you will understand what I am talking about. I think most manufacturers are cutting cost in the interior, the ones that didn't, charge you 50k for their cars. Even the TSX is missing an oil pressure and battery gauge. (not and idiot light, too late by the time they came out), no brake pad wear indicator, no oil level indicator. I don't know, maybe I was spoil with the 164. Anyway, I think I changed the subject of your question, sorry.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:27 AM
Don't get run over!

When the G35 AWD 6MT comes out later this year, I am thinking about trading in my TSX and getting that. I can get over the cheap look of the G35's interior, but the excellent performance makes up for it.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

Why would you go from a brand new TSX to the G35 ? Are you not happy with your car?? I chose the G35, but i don't think I would be unhappy with the TSX, I don't think is worth the big hit you are going to take to make such a change. And by the way, the interior is not that bad, all the people that have seen my car have complimented the interior actually. Granted, they are not in the market looking at the competiton, but aside from couple of switches and ackward ergonomics(due to japanese right hand drive) the interior is very acceptable. By the way, I believe the AWD is auto only.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by princed
Quick question for you, Alfa. I was over at my Infiniti dealer looking at the G35 this weekend (I really like the car -- almost bought one), and I happened to see a few of them over in the service dept. with black interiors. To my shock, the leather on the driver's seat looked horrible in comparison to the other seats! The leather was cracked and abraded, and I was quite surprised with how aged it looked. Have you found this to be the case with your G? I'm thinking the owners of those cars probably weren't careful (i.e. cleaning/conditioning the leather every 2-3 months) or that excess wear just comes with the territory of having black leather. I am now firmly in the quartz camp as I would be devestated if the leather in my TL deteriorated to the same degree in such a short time. Do you think the willow holds up better?
I decided to go with the G35 sedan (6-speed, navigation, premium package, winter package, aero package) versus the TSX. I've had mine for close to 3 months now and have put almost 5000 miles on it.

My driver's seat is holding up perfectly well and is only showing minimal wear and I haven't even done anything special to it (condition/clean). It's showing no more wear than my S2000's driver seat did at roughly the same time. I'm very careful when I enter and exit the car and always make sure not to slide across the bolsters or crush them. I think that goes a long way.

Provench is right about the G35 being more of a performance-oriented car versus the TSX. That's not to say that the TSX isn't performance-oriented. The G35 is just a higher-performing machine. Interior space was a huge factor for me since I was coming from a 2003 Jetta GLX and wanted to make sure the car was roomy enough for a baby seat -- the TSX would have been close (for a Britax Marathon).

The TSX wins hands down when it comes to interior quality, fit & finish, and ergonomics. It kind of makes me wish I waited until the 2004 TL was available before buying my G35. Oh well, I'm still happy with the car.

As for oversteer. . .yes, the car can oversteer. I've had it come around on me once because I provoked, on purpose, it in a right turn on a wet road with the "skid control" (Infiniti calls it VDC) turned off. Since I expected it, it was easily controlled by counter-steering and lifting off the throttle. I've never had a problem with VDC turned on.