3 New Registered Names for Inifiniti

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but since this engine is rumored to be making in the neighborhood of 320hp, that'll be treading on the V8s 340hp. Does this mean that Infiniti will be upgrading their V8 engines soon too? Somewhere along the lines of 380hp, since MB, Lexus, and BMW recently upped their V8s.
I wouldn't doubt it - that V8 is due for an overhaul, and judging by Nissan's recent calls regarding Infiniti powerplants I'd say they'll want to continue playing the HP game across the line.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Safety Car

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but since this engine is rumored to be making in the neighborhood of 320hp, that'll be treading on the V8s 340hp. Does this mean that Infiniti will be upgrading their V8 engines soon too? Somewhere along the lines of 380hp, since MB, Lexus, and BMW recently upped their V8s.
Look for it be atleast 5L and look for it to have a little more than 400HP. There's a few reasons for the HP number. The simpliest though, is that at that HP the engine won't need any tweeking when it goes into the the high performance G that will battle the next 400HP and the V8 powered high performance IS. It'll also put the Q right back at the top in terms of HP in that class.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:52 AM
Safety Car

Anyone else feel 37 doesn't fly as well as 35?
"G37?"... music to my ears.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by titan
Look for it be atleast 5L and look for it to have a little more than 400HP. There's a few reasons for the HP number. The simpliest though, is that at that HP the engine won't need any tweeking when it goes into the the high performance G that will battle the next 400HP and the V8 powered high performance IS. It'll also put the Q right back at the top in terms of HP in that class.

That's a safe bet.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 03TL-S
I wonder if infiniti will go along with the trend of having maybe a G25/30 and then have the G37. Sorta like the IS250/350 and 325i/330i. Since the likely hp of this 3.7 liter engine is 320-330, it would make some sense to have something with lower hp. Either way,
You can look out for a sub-G37 engine, I think. There will be room for it now, with the G37 making so much HP. We also know that the CX is coming here and was supposed to have both a CX25 and CX35 model... I guess that'll be changed to CX37 as well. The rumored engine in the 25 was a four cylinder, but I don't see why that wouldn't change to the 2.5L VQ. Ofcourse, a 2.5L I4 is already used in the U.S., so it'd be easier. Anyway, I think we'll see a sub G37 model, and I'm hoping it's in the 240-250HP range.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts
"G37?"... music to my ears.
The same thing happend with "328i" and "330i". At first it sounded weird, but now it sounds great.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Ofcourse, a 2.5L I4 is already used in the U.S., so it'd be easier. Anyway, I think we'll see a sub G37 model, and I'm hoping it's in the 240-250HP range.
let's hope they dont use the 2.5 I4 in the G....or any infiniti for that matter...and i doubt that I4 can make 240-250hp without some kind of FI
Old 03-06-2006, 04:32 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by MaximaPower
let's hope they dont use the 2.5 I4 in the G....or any infiniti for that matter...and i doubt that I4 can make 240-250hp without some kind of FI
Don't they have VQ25DD for the JDM Skyline 250GT? If the next G will have a lower trim that engine should be it.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MSZ
Don't they have VQ25DD for the JDM Skyline 250GT? If the next G will have a lower trim that engine should be it.
Yeah. It makes around 215HP with direct injection in Japan. I hope they use that engine here, with atleast that HP figure here. If they could get 240-250HP out of the engine, or englarge it to 3L, that'd be great.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:54 AM
Don't drive so slow.

Honda can live with 6 cylinders forever, no need for more from a company with timeless ingenuity.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Yeah. It makes around 215HP with direct injection in Japan. I hope they use that engine here, with atleast that HP figure here. If they could get 240-250HP out of the engine, or englarge it to 3L, that'd be great.
I think Infiniti is movin' on up ... I wonder if they are going to introduce a smaller engine car (ie VQ25 or variant). If you keep bringing in the people with entry-level cars that are lower than your current price point, then the 'exclusivity' factor of a brand is tainted. But ... at the same time ... you allow people way into your name which could bring in that covetted 'brand loyalty'.

It's a fine line but I think they'll hold off on a smaller engine. I haven't been following what's going on in Nissan Japan and new engines so I don't know if they're gonna do a "G27" or whatever a potential smaller sibling to the G37 will be.

[edit] Over a g35driver ... no word about a smaller engine for the G-series. We'll see what announcements are made at the NY Autoshow.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Drifting

Does Nissan no longer make 3.0 liter V6 anymore? G30 sounds like the natural choice to me..
Old 03-08-2006, 12:51 AM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by Jason1000RR
Honda can live with 6 cylinders forever, no need for more from a company with timeless ingenuity.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:43 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by derrick
I think Infiniti is movin' on up ... I wonder if they are going to introduce a smaller engine car (ie VQ25 or variant). If you keep bringing in the people with entry-level cars that are lower than your current price point, then the 'exclusivity' factor of a brand is tainted. But ... at the same time ... you allow people way into your name which could bring in that covetted 'brand loyalty'.

It's a fine line but I think they'll hold off on a smaller engine. I haven't been following what's going on in Nissan Japan and new engines so I don't know if they're gonna do a "G27" or whatever a potential smaller sibling to the G37 will be.
I agree with your "fine line" point. Here's my thinking though... you're correct about the brand loyalty and lower price point arguement. I think however, that Infiniti is quite there yet in the eyes of most consumers with MB/BMW/Audi/Lexus. There close, but not there. Adding a lower G model would only further mimick the lineup's of the big boys (which means consumers won't see it as a "lower" brand), while at the same time bringing in new people to the brand. Also, having a 320+HP car as your lowest offering is unheard of... and though I would be cool for Infinti to claim to be the only 300+HP car comany, I don't see it happening. I'm guessing that there will be a lower output eninge put in the G that will remain the HP leader with the IS/C/3's lower engine offerings. That's just my hunch.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Agreed -- we are only speculating at what a multi-national conglomerate is planning ahead. Even MB has moved down with their C230 and now the B-series. But there's a point where they have diminishing returns (ie Smart car). You want people into your fold ... (ie buying a C-class just for the 3-star hood ornament) but at the same time, you still want exclusivity.

As for Infiniti, I do see them bringing out a V6 250-hp entry level G model. Will it be a detuned VQ35? Probably not because that would defeat the purpose ... not much separation between a G35 and G37. However, a 3.0L V6 with significantly better fuel economy with a bare bones, near lux interior would be understandable. (But how crappy an interior could a lux manufacturer get away with?)

If BMW is the gold standard of carving out niches in the near lux market, then that's the way Infiniti will do things. Now ... the 'halo' car for the G ... that'll be interesting. A detuned engine from the GT-R? That would be cool. And it would happen about 2-3 years after the release of the coupe (in the same fashion as BMW).
Old 03-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

As for Infiniti, I do see them bringing out a V6 250-hp entry level G model. Will it be a detuned VQ35? Probably not because that would defeat the purpose ... not much separation between a G35 and G37. However, a 3.0L V6 with significantly better fuel economy with a bare bones, near lux interior would be understandable. (But how crappy an interior could a lux manufacturer get away with?)
A detuned VQ would make sense as it's already available in Nissan FFL platform vehicles (Altima, Maxima, Quest, Murano), ranging from 245hp thru 265hp. I don't see Nissan's reversion back to a 'VQ30DE' or 'VQ30DE-k' as likely but who knows!?!
Old 03-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

Who says the interior will be "bare bones", etc., as you put it. If the M is any indication, the next G's interior will be a big leap forward in terms of look and quality of materials.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

i actually hope nissan doesn't make a G with a smaller engine....if they keep the price of the G "right" than i dont see the point of a lesser G...much like the IS250 and IS350, i would pay the extra $5k for the 3.5
Old 03-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Race Director

Dang I'm drooling right now thinking about when this next G35/37 comes out!!

It's gonna kill the BMW 3 series again (imo).

I'm gonna be hard if I have to say goodbye to the TSX for a G35/37, but Infiniti is putting cars out that people like and Acura isn't doing the same.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Burning Brakes

The last interior on the G proved how crappy an interior a luxury manufacturer could get away with and still sell cars. I love my G, but the interior, while durable, is aesthetically and tactilely very unappealing. The only real positive is that it is very workable (aside from the seat controls). Any improvements will be an upgrade for the G. Luckily if the M and the new coupe concept are any indication (and I believe they are), this interior will be at least on par with the 330i/IS.

As for the engines, if I had to guess I'd say we'll see only one. Infiniti isn't yet at the point where they can price on par with BMW/Lexus, so the new G37 should be a bargain compared to the comparably equipped IS350/330i, and only slightly more expensive than a 325i/IS250. Unless they're trying to replicate lineups (which they might well do), I see no reason for a less powerful G.

We'll see!
Old 03-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx

I'm gonna be hard if I have to say goodbye to the TSX for a G35/37, but Infiniti is putting cars out that people like and Acura isn't doing the same.

Infiniti: "We will build cars you like, and because you like them you will buy them."

Acura: "We will build cars that we like, and because we like them you will buy them."
Old 03-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Acura: "We will build cars that we like, and because we like them you will buy them."
LOL
Old 03-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno

Hmmm... Sounds alot like American car companies back in the late 70's and 80's.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by goldmemberer
What does the red color mean???
Old 03-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Who says the interior will be "bare bones", etc., as you put it. If the M is any indication, the next G's interior will be a big leap forward in terms of look and quality of materials.
What I meant by 'bare bones' is that compared to the competition. Yes, I hope the next gen G will have materials like the M or even those found in the coupe concept in Detroit. However, I seriously doubt Infiniti will appoint an 'entry level' car with as good quality as the M but the look will be similar. (ie definitely no real rosewood... carbon fiber-esque / good quality plastic / brushed aluminum more likely)

One of my biggest pet peeves with the 1st gen G is the dashboard. That reminds me so much of a Pontiac (ie orange colour at night). I do hope the 'feel' of the materials will signficantly improve. We know Nissan can build chassis and motors. They haven't been able to compete with interiors up until the recent M. Let's keep our fingers crossed they ditch the orange gauge cluster and up the amount spent on interior materials.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by Motohip
What does the red color mean???
sarcasm
Old 03-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Safety Car

What I meant by 'bare bones' is that compared to the competition. Yes, I hope the next gen G will have materials like the M or even those found in the coupe concept in Detroit. However, I seriously doubt Infiniti will appoint an 'entry level' car with as good quality as the M but the look will be similar. (ie definitely no real rosewood... carbon fiber-esque / good quality plastic / brushed aluminum more likely)

One of my biggest pet peeves with the 1st gen G is the dashboard. That reminds me so much of a Pontiac (ie orange colour at night). I do hope the 'feel' of the materials will signficantly improve. We know Nissan can build chassis and motors. They haven't been able to compete with interiors up until the recent M. Let's keep our fingers crossed they ditch the orange gauge cluster and up the amount spent on interior materials.

They can do it just like Lexus did it with the new Is vs the 1st gen Is.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Safety Car

However, I seriously doubt Infiniti will appoint an 'entry level' car with as good quality as the M but the look will be similar. (ie definitely no real rosewood... carbon fiber-esque / good quality plastic / brushed aluminum more likely)
Why would you think that. Because the the G's a $35K car it can't have good materials? Lexus has done it with the IS and ES... You can believe that Infiniti will do the same this time around. It's in a much different position (both financially and in terms of status) than it was when the G was first introduced. As far as carbon fiber, etc... The current G has real Rosewood. Why wouldn't the next one have the same. If they have a G37 Sport (like the M) with carbon peiceds, I'm why would we think they won't any less real then what's found in the M?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't think the current G has real rosewood. The wood you get in the G with the wood package is real, but I don't think it's the rosewood that's used in the M. That stuff is very expensive. I'd be happy as long as they use real brushed aluminium and have a better layout (like the M), which reduces the *need* for hard plastics. That's really my pet peeve with my G's interior - not so much that the materials are bad, but that the layout requires the use of so much cheap feeling plastic.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JackieO
I don't think the current G has real rosewood. The wood you get in the G with the wood package is real, but I don't think it's the rosewood that's used in the M. That stuff is very expensive. I'd be happy as long as they use real brushed aluminium and have a better layout (like the M), which reduces the *need* for hard plastics. That's really my pet peeve with my G's interior - not so much that the materials are bad, but that the layout requires the use of so much cheap feeling plastic.
Infiniti's website says that the G's interior has real Rosewood and genuine aluminum on it's website. It's the same wood used in the M.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:30 AM
Scru U guyz, Im Goin Home

Infiniti's website says that the G's interior has real Rosewood and genuine aluminum on it's website. It's the same wood used in the M.
Allow myself to introduce myself.

neway, in plain english : "let the hp wars begin" is right. Any and all competition between our beloved preluxury manufacturers can only result in me buyin a quicker, faster, better looking and possibly even less expensive BMW.
If only Honda would join in the fun.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Hrm - must be the updated '05/'06 interior. The older ones were a more beach-y looking wood. Oh well, good for them - that rosewood is some of the nicest I've ever seen in a car.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Safety Car

Hrm - must be the updated '05/'06 interior. The older ones were a more beach-y looking wood. Oh well, good for them - that rosewood is some of the nicest I've ever seen in a car.
Yeah. It was there for the "05 interior... I test drove an '05 w/premium package, and so it had wood (ofcourse). I'll say it again; that Rosewood is the best looking wood in any lux car, IMO. I love the color, and I love that Infiniti has it in a matte finish, as opposed to the glossy finished used with everyone else.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Indeed
Old 03-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Safety Car

Here is'a pic of the '06's Rosewood trim. It's beatiful.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
Honda better have a game plan...

Old 03-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I think the rosewood was always real in the G. It was the aluminum that was fake when it first came out, and after so much criticism, Infiniti gave it the real thing.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phile
I think the rosewood was always real in the G. It was the aluminum that was fake when it first came out, and after so much criticism, Infiniti gave it the real thing.
What I meant was I think the 03/04 didn't have rosewood - it was a different kind of wood. When I bought mine I remember the ones with wood being a light color'd wood. It doesn't matter anyway, I just didn't realize that they were putting the rosewood in it now (like the M), since that stuff costs so much.

Well, at least they're moving in the right direction. Now if they can eliminate some of the big expanses of plastic along the dash I think they'll be good to go.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
You're right, it was burled birds eye maple.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Race Director

hey 1 more month until Infiniti shows off the next gen G35 sedan, why haven't there been any spy pics yet of this?

Quick Reply: 3 New Registered Names for Inifiniti