2005 G35 Specs announced

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vicman17
It needs that much additional power so it can turn the bigger and heavier rims. :shit:

And I agree, It's still ugly. Unless you're into plastic and pseudo- high tech interior, then knock yourself out.
Into plastic huh? Then you must really be into plastic interiors because a TL-S is full of it. No real wood or aluminum in there. Just things that try to look like expensive materials. I would know cuz i had a TL-S :P
Old 06-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by pkmaven
...but the main difference between the two sedans is the quality of assembly. The TL wins all around.
Who are you kidding? The TL is made in the states, and the G35 in Japan. I'll be damned if I ever saw a car made in Japan that has a better build quality than something made in the US of A..
Old 06-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by ColdFusionTL
Into plastic huh? Then you must really be into plastic interiors because a TL-S is full of it. No real wood or aluminum in there. Just things that try to look like expensive materials. I would know cuz i had a TL-S :P
That is true, however Honda/Acura does a good job of making the plastic look more "rich", which gives it an edge over it's competition.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pkmaven
In the Northeast snow and some winter slop make the TL a better driver
But of course the G35x has all-wheel drive.

In this shopper's opinions the changes are enough to warrant a re-test drive both the 2005 TL and G35 come the fall. Nice to have so many nice choices; both are wonderful cars and it ultimately comes down to personal preference. I can't imagine not liking either over the long haul.

Scott
Old 06-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EZZ
The coupe will have 295 hp and 19s! WOW
cool. If only I could fit in one.
:'(
Old 06-08-2004, 03:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Shoofin'TL
Who are you kidding? The TL is made in the states, and the G35 in Japan. I'll be damned if I ever saw a car made in Japan that has a better build quality than something made in the US of A..
I agree....thats why all acuras have the infamous rattles and squeaks in the interior. The G35 has none. Build quality is top notch in the G35
Old 06-08-2004, 07:26 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ColdFusionTL
I agree....thats why all acuras have the infamous rattles and squeaks in the interior. The G35 has none. Build quality is top notch in the G35
My Honda had insane rattles for about 6 months and the dealer was able to slowly whittle away until its now somewhat quieter. My 96 Maxima with over 100k has been absolutely QUIET. No rattles whatsoever. BEST built car I've ever owned.

My G35 coupe came in yesterday morning! The worst part is that I'm away on business so my girl sent pictures only :'( If this Infiniti is as trouble free as my 96 Maxima, then I will love this car just as much

It was a tough decision between the two cars. The thing that made the difference is that I was able to get a loaded G35 (premium package, performance packaged w/18 inch wheels, and navigation) for $3k off MSRP. Thats a couple hundred over invoice. Couldn't get this deal with TL in So-Cal.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:31 PM
3rd Gear

I test drove both G35x and Acura-TL, and the verdict is ...

I was monitoring the message boards to get the idea myself. Today, I test drove both in the same day to get a feel of it. First the specs...

G35x Automatic
vs
TL

First let me tell you where I am coming from.

I am looking for a true "Sports Sedan". That means a car with sedan like room and
sports car 'like' performance.

I am not an auto-expert, but I know when I am driving a good car.

First, if you are looking for sports car like performance, do not try to say how a FWD
is comparable to an RWD. The difference in physics is simple. Imagine if you were on
a cart with a steering and someone was pushing you from the back vs pulling you from
the front. The ride is going to be quite different. My personal preference will be for the
RWD. For those of you who are in a wet/snowy weather situation, the problem can be
solved by an AWD.

With that said, lets bring in the handling. I did a 360 with a TL and a G35. And both
did it well, but the cornering of G35 was definitely crisper than the TL. I felt more in control with the G35.

Later on I made some sharp left turn with both. The tire screeches from the TL were
a surprise, given all I had read about it. The G35 did this effortlessly without a complain.

Now the power issue ...

Lets just understand that HP does not really matter. If you want high horsepower, go buy
a Lincoln Towncar. A few horsepower here and there do not make a difference. It really
is the torque that makes you feel the oomph. Yes, both are almost equal in HP, but that
to me is a useless metric when the difference is in the 10-15% range.

Both engines purr quite nicely, though the response from the G35 seemed quicker. Not
really sure if it was me, but with a salesman constantly talking in the back, it is hard to
take note of all the things that you are trying to remember to check. My advice is to
not talk a lot and turn down the radio during the test drive. The talking and the radio can
be done while the car is in the lot.

The automatic shifting seemed smooth on both.

The breaking is a bit sensitive with the G35, though it deccelarates nicer than a TL. Again
this was my personal feel.

The cabin of the TL is definitely quieter than the G.

Now the interiors. Again, I had heard a lot about the TL interiors. But to me they are secondary to how well a car drives. Design is a matter of personal aesthetics and TL
definitely has some nice elements to its front panel. It has blue-tooth for the gadget
hungry. The polychrome lighted meters definitely look snazzy. The cup-holders, etc.

There are two elements to the exterior. The styling and then the paint.

When it first came out, I thought the G was an ugly looking car. But after having seen the
Beamers around me everywhere, I begin to warm up to its bold curves. The TL is trying
to look muscular, but it is still conservative in its look. It is hardly distinctive. Next time
you are driving on the road, keep your eyes open. Notice how a G35 catches your eyes
as opposed to the TL. The condition is that they both have to be dark colored (black, or twilight blue offer the best comparisons). The TL exterior design does little for me. But
this is probably THE MOST subjective aspect when people look at a car.

The paint is an issue with the G35. The TL paint is more robust because it is not water-based. The G-35 is water based and chips very easily. The solution is clearbra from 3M. The downside is a dampened shine. Not sure if a Zaino polish can bring it back. Clearbra costs US$700-1000. This is something I need to check with my local detailing guru.

The bad thing about both is that they do not have fold-down seats. Its not even an option.
Even BMW offers it, not sure why these guys don't do it and go for the reclining seats as
somehow more important. It bears on the function of the car.

Hmm, so have I left something out?

So in conclusion ...

If you are more into luxury with an extra-quiet cabin, nice controls, bells and whistles and all, and if you are not too picky about sportiness, take a look at the TL. For those of you who want a serious sporty platform for a sedan, G35 is the closest japanese I have felt to the benchmark BMW's athletic handling. And yes, I have test driven that as well, but the one I really want is the M3 and do not have the deniro for it :-(. Plus I want some long-term reliability too.

Do not try to compare 325xi with the G35x [same price range]. It is not a fair comparison.

You must test drive the finalists on your list the same day (not more than three). Allow yourself plenty of time. Do not turn the radio too loud while driving. Try to go to one area where you can find all the dealerships so you drive on the same roads. Check both accelaration and decceleration on braking. For handling, do not be shy in making sharp left turns and accelarating on curves/ramps. You are paying a lot of money and deserve to know.

Do not buy the car the same day, but sleep over it and then make your decision.

I am so very tired right now, but I felt that I owe it to all the good people here and other
boards who have offered their honest and insightful opinions. Thanks everyone. I am decided in favor of the G.

I am not sure when I will log back in, but post any questions you may have and I will try to respond.

Oh one last thing ...

Remember, all cars can go 120 MPH. The money is in how you get to it!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Butthead
I was monitoring the message boards to get the idea myself. Today, I test drove both in the same day to get a feel of it. First the specs...

G35x Automatic
vs
TL

First let me tell you where I am coming from.

I am looking for a true "Sports Sedan". That means a car with sedan like room and
sports car 'like' performance.

I am not an auto-expert, but I know when I am driving a good car.

First, if you are looking for sports car like performance, do not try to say how a FWD
is comparable to an RWD. The difference in physics is simple. Imagine if you were on
a cart with a steering and someone was pushing you from the back vs pulling you from
the front. The ride is going to be quite different. My personal preference will be for the
RWD. For those of you who are in a wet/snowy weather situation, the problem can be
solved by an AWD.

With that said, lets bring in the handling. I did a 360 with a TL and a G35. And both
did it well, but the cornering of G35 was definitely crisper than the TL. I felt more in control with the G35.

Later on I made some sharp left turn with both. The tire screeches from the TL were
a surprise, given all I had read about it. The G35 did this effortlessly without a complain.

Now the power issue ...

Lets just understand that HP does not really matter. If you want high horsepower, go buy
a Lincoln Towncar. A few horsepower here and there do not make a difference. It really
is the torque that makes you feel the oomph. Yes, both are almost equal in HP, but that
to me is a useless metric when the difference is in the 10-15% range.

Both engines purr quite nicely, though the response from the G35 seemed quicker. Not
really sure if it was me, but with a salesman constantly talking in the back, it is hard to
take note of all the things that you are trying to remember to check. My advice is to
not talk a lot and turn down the radio during the test drive. The talking and the radio can
be done while the car is in the lot.

The automatic shifting seemed smooth on both.

The breaking is a bit sensitive with the G35, though it deccelarates nicer than a TL. Again
this was my personal feel.

The cabin of the TL is definitely quieter than the G.

Now the interiors. Again, I had heard a lot about the TL interiors. But to me they are secondary to how well a car drives. Design is a matter of personal aesthetics and TL
definitely has some nice elements to its front panel. It has blue-tooth for the gadget
hungry. The polychrome lighted meters definitely look snazzy. The cup-holders, etc.

There are two elements to the exterior. The styling and then the paint.

When it first came out, I thought the G was an ugly looking car. But after having seen the
Beamers around me everywhere, I begin to warm up to its bold curves. The TL is trying
to look muscular, but it is still conservative in its look. It is hardly distinctive. Next time
you are driving on the road, keep your eyes open. Notice how a G35 catches your eyes
as opposed to the TL. The condition is that they both have to be dark colored (black, or twilight blue offer the best comparisons). The TL exterior design does little for me. But
this is probably THE MOST subjective aspect when people look at a car.

The paint is an issue with the G35. The TL paint is more robust because it is not water-based. The G-35 is water based and chips very easily. The solution is clearbra from 3M. The downside is a dampened shine. Not sure if a Zaino polish can bring it back. Clearbra costs US$700-1000. This is something I need to check with my local detailing guru.

The bad thing about both is that they do not have fold-down seats. Its not even an option.
Even BMW offers it, not sure why these guys don't do it and go for the reclining seats as
somehow more important. It bears on the function of the car.

Hmm, so have I left something out?

So in conclusion ...

If you are more into luxury with an extra-quiet cabin, nice controls, bells and whistles and all, and if you are not too picky about sportiness, take a look at the TL. For those of you who want a serious sporty platform for a sedan, G35 is the closest japanese I have felt to the benchmark BMW's athletic handling. And yes, I have test driven that as well, but the one I really want is the M3 and do not have the deniro for it :-(. Plus I want some long-term reliability too.

Do not try to compare 325xi with the G35x [same price range]. It is not a fair comparison.

You must test drive the finalists on your list the same day (not more than three). Allow yourself plenty of time. Do not turn the radio too loud while driving. Try to go to one area where you can find all the dealerships so you drive on the same roads. Check both accelaration and decceleration on braking. For handling, do not be shy in making sharp left turns and accelarating on curves/ramps. You are paying a lot of money and deserve to know.

Do not buy the car the same day, but sleep over it and then make your decision.

I am so very tired right now, but I felt that I owe it to all the good people here and other
boards who have offered their honest and insightful opinions. Thanks everyone. I am decided in favor of the G.

I am not sure when I will log back in, but post any questions you may have and I will try to respond.

Oh one last thing ...

Remember, all cars can go 120 MPH. The money is in how you get to it!
Very nice review If you can, you should wait for the 05 G sedan. Theres alot of good changes that got incorporated in the 05 G. Better interior, more horse, different LSD and so forth. If you have any questions about the G, you should go to G35driver.com . Its a good site....very informative. Good luck with your purchase
Old 08-25-2004, 07:26 AM
Advanced

This is from fresh alloy, not sure just how "official" it actually is.

Here is the news after our General Manager just got back from a official Nissan meeting in L.A.-

2005 G35:
Softer leather.
New colors.
Manual or power telescopic steering wheel.
Auto Sedan and Coupe both with 280 HP.
6MT Sedan and Coupe both with 298 HP.
No more Brembo brakes what so ever, all cars will have upgraded brakes and rotors.
Sport models will now have sport suspension - different model codes (19" wheel package will be seperate).
Automatic premiums will have intelligent keys (like FX, Q, M)
Intelligent key not available on 6MT Sedan or Coupe.
Side sills and rear bumper will be painted all the way down (Sedan).
Radios will play MP3's.
They will announce that the upcomming GT-R will be an Infiniti (in early 2005).

2005 G35 Updates *Official*

Still no bluetooth or voice command, I guess they are saving that for the new M45.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:57 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Official Specs Released

http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/n...31043941.shtml

The 6 mt Sedan gets 298hp! Crazy fast car now :blaze: