For you do it yourselfers!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001 | 04:49 PM

For you do it yourselfers!

I thought I would provide this info for those of you brave enough to attempt installing an alarm or remote starter on your vehicle. If you need any additional info, do not hesitate to ask!
Old 09-12-2001 | 05:12 PM
Intermediate

Unhappy

Would it be possible to help us 1st gen. do it your self guys?
TIA
Old 09-12-2001 | 10:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

thank for that post...we'll see about getting the info into the FAQ section or maybe we can even create a DYI section, whadda ya think?
Old 09-13-2001 | 08:15 AM

Cool

I think it would be great to put this info up on your site! I would also gladly answer any questions related to the information I provide. Fear not as this is what I do for a living.

As for the request to have info on the first generation TL, this is not a problem. I will post it within the next 2 days.
Old 09-14-2001 | 03:45 PM

Cool Here is the 1st Gen info!

Here is the info on the first gen. TL I was asked for. Again, if there are any questions about the info, don't hesitate to ask!
Old 09-15-2001 | 12:45 AM
Intermediate

Talking

Thanks!!!!Thanks!!!!Thanks!!!!Thanks!!!!Thanks!!!! Thanks!!!!Thanks!!!!Thanks!!!!Thanks!!!!Thanks!!!! Thanks!!!!ThanThanks!!!!ks!!!!Thanks!!!!Thanks!!!!
Very Helpful !!!!!
Old 09-16-2001 | 11:35 PM
Pro

Did you buy the software package? I want to have the option of all windows up and sunroof close when the stock alarm is activated...is taht posible? if it is, could you give me information on what i need and how to do so..thanks
Old 09-17-2001 | 02:37 AM
Racer

Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 09-17-2001 | 08:44 AM

As for the software package, I am the technical director for the company. I also have just purchased a new Acura and love the site. I will be my pleasure to provide electrical info on these vehicles for the members of the site!

As for the request to roll up the windows and close the sun-roof with the OEM alarm, anything is possible!

What year is your TL? I will put it together for you.
Old 09-18-2001 | 09:51 AM
Ex TL-S owner

I have a 2002 TLS w/Navi and I wanted to install a shock sensor w/the factory alarm. Could someone please tell me which wire I need to look for to trigger the alarm to go off w/the shock sensor? Thanks
Old 09-18-2001 | 09:51 PM

Cool

The wire you are looking for is YELLOW/2 SILVER DOTS. It is actually the hood sense wire for the alarm system. This wire is located in the plug on the far side of the driver's side fuseblock. That would be the side facing the firewall. The harness from this connector runs down below the fusepanel and you can get it there.

Simply connect power and ground to you shock sensor and connect the trigger output to the hood wire in that connector.

That's it.
Old 10-06-2001 | 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

FredG - i have a 2002 Acura TL, and would like to add on to the stock alarm. I read with much interest your post about the wire needed to trigger the alarm with an add-on shock sensor since that was something i definitely had in mind. I also would like to have the windows and sunroof roll up when i set the alarm, and possibly add remote start.

Which wires and where is the best place in the car to access them to do the roll ups? And what aftermarket rollup module should i go with?

Same question for the remote start, although I could also use info on how the autostart module would activate. I assume i would have to carry a second remote controller on my keyring, and would have to turn off the stock alarm first before trying to remote start the car?

Please help me out on these issues. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-06-2001 | 11:11 AM
Instructor

hey can i get the wiring list for my 01 Honda Accord Coupe i want to put a shock sensor on my accord and my sis 00 TL thanxs
Old 10-09-2001 | 08:30 AM

Sorry, I have been quite busy at work. I will be able to provide the info on the Accord, I will post it in a day or two.

As for the info on the remote starter and windows, I will prepare a diagram illustrating exactly how to do this in a few days.
Old 10-09-2001 | 08:50 AM
Instructor

Nice work Fred! Can you post the 2000 TL too? Thanks.
Old 10-09-2001 | 08:56 AM

The TL information that I posted for the 2002 model is exactly the same for 1999 through 2002. If you need something that is not on the sheet, let me know.
Old 10-15-2001 | 10:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

fredg, what is the instructions for wiring in a remote starter on a 2002TL with that transponder in the key -- How do i bypass this so that the car will start remotely? I understand that the immobilizer will not permit the fuel pump to operate if the correct key isnt in the ignition. I assume the bypass here would be to wire in a relay, but to which wires do i do this?
Old 10-16-2001 | 08:45 AM

Actually it is not as simple as adding relays to get around the transponder.

A brief explanation of transponders:

A transponder is a microchip and coil located in the vehicle's ignition key. When the key is inserted in the ignition switch, a wire coil on the steering column (mounted under the plastic shroud) energizes the coil in the key. When the coil in the key is energized, the microchip emits a code, which is transmitted to the vehicle's computer. The vehicle's computer verifies that the code is good and then turns on the fuel and ignition systems.

Because the computer needs to see this code, adding relays would not do the trick. Here is what you need to do:

OPTION 1: A product called a universal transponder bypass kit. This kit includes a ring that slips over the ignition switch and a box that holds a key. YOU must provide a valid key to insert in the box. The valet key works fine. When the box is activated by your remote starter, it transmits the code from the key to the ignition switch to fool the vehicle into thinking there is a key in the ignition. This works perfectly but does take up one of your keys.

OPTION 2: A product called a keyless transponder bypass. This is a self-contained unit that does not require a key. It can be programmed to learn the code from one of your keys and play it back to the vehicle on demand. This also works very well and does not require a key. But it is a few bucks more.

If you would like to get your hands on either of these products, let me know.

Hope this helps
Old 10-16-2001 | 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by fredg
OPTION 1: A product called a universal transponder bypass kit. This kit includes a ring that slips over the ignition switch and a box that holds a key. YOU must provide a valid key to insert in the box. The valet key works fine. When the box is activated by your remote starter, it transmits the code from the key to the ignition switch to fool the vehicle into thinking there is a key in the ignition. This works perfectly but does take up one of your keys.

OPTION 2: A product called a keyless transponder bypass. This is a self-contained unit that does not require a key. It can be programmed to learn the code from one of your keys and play it back to the vehicle on demand. This also works very well and does not require a key. But it is a few bucks more.

If you would like to get your hands on either of these products, let me know.

Hope this helps
Although they are both elegant solutions, there are other much cheaper options (I assume that both options mentioned cost more than $30 each; correct me if I'm wrong)--one would be to buy a blank master key ($30), get the transponder out of it, then mount it in a convenient location on the steering column (actually, this would be a bit more stealth than option 1 and probably option 2 also). Granted, this would probably mean that the transponder coil will always be "energized"; I'm no electronics expert, but what effect--if any--would a continuously energized coil have as far as coil life?

Tony
Old 10-16-2001 | 02:57 PM

Well Tony, I will explain a few things about transponders that you probably did not know.

You could buy a key for about 30 U.S. and then have it coded to the vehicle by the dealer. You could remove this chip and mount it to the ignition switch, which in itself would be fine. The coil only energizes when the ignition comes on.

Here's the problem. The vehicle's computer can only read the code from 1 key at a time. If you try to start the vehicle with a coded key while the other chip is glued to the ignition switch, the vehicle's computer will not respond. This is why they tell you in the owner's manual to avoid keeping 2 keys on the same key ring.

Another problem which may or may not bother you is the fact that by mounting a chip to the ignition switch in this way, you completely eliminate the security that this provides. The vehicle can now be hot-wired in seconds.

All in all I think you are better off spending the 30 bucks for a bypass kit, which will leave your security intact.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-16-2001 | 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by fredg
Well Tony, I will explain a few things about transponders that you probably did not know.

You could buy a key for about 30 U.S. and then have it coded to the vehicle by the dealer. You could remove this chip and mount it to the ignition switch, which in itself would be fine. The coil only energizes when the ignition comes on.

Here's the problem. The vehicle's computer can only read the code from 1 key at a time. If you try to start the vehicle with a coded key while the other chip is glued to the ignition switch, the vehicle's computer will not respond. This is why they tell you in the owner's manual to avoid keeping 2 keys on the same key ring.

Another problem which may or may not bother you is the fact that by mounting a chip to the ignition switch in this way, you completely eliminate the security that this provides. The vehicle can now be hot-wired in seconds.

All in all I think you are better off spending the 30 bucks for a bypass kit, which will leave your security intact.

Hope this helps!
Fred--

Like I was saying, the transponder bypass kits you mentioned are elegant solutions compared to my el-cheapo suggestion.

As far as the computer only being able to read one code at a time--well, you can always relocate the ignition switch coil (I think it is a ring-type assembly--in any case, the coil assembly is not "permanently" attached to anything else) and the transponder to a location away from the ignition switch itself. This will resolve the "starting with a coded key" issue.

Regarding the security issue of the transponder kit vs. my method--sure, the kits would eliminate the hot-wire issue but are by no means foolproof. Let's just say a really smart car thief--let alone a determined pro--given time can defeat the kits. I'm no thief, and I understand in principle how to bypass them--from what I've heard, it involves the concept of a resistor. A decent alarm with a (built-in) starter-interrupt/kill circuit combined with my solution (yes, it is a lame one at that, but I'm not shooting for style points) should be almost as--if not just as--effective as the kit, if installed cleverly.

I'm not trying to prove that I know just as much as you do--I'll defer to your expertise in the auto stereo/security industry. I was just suggesting alternatives; there is more than one way to build a better mouse trap (yeah, bad analogy).

Tony

P.S.: you probably got vperkins all worried now--he got a CompuStar alarm with remote start installed, and I believe my bro did not use the transponder kit (BTW he does carry them) but went with the solution I mentioned (not my original idea)...besides, if a car gets stolen--well, that's what comprehensive insurance coverage is for (at least for those of us who have it, and I would imagine that would be just about everyone here on the TL-S forum)
Old 10-16-2001 | 05:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs up

Yes, FredG I would be interested in the prices and availability of both options, although the keyless transponder sounds like the preferable way to go.
Please provide details about where to get these?
Old 10-17-2001 | 08:45 AM

Hi Tony.

My only intention here is to offer my experience and knoledge in this field to the users of this forum. You have some clever ideas about working around the transponder for the purposes of a remote starter. However, I can assure you 100% that there is no quick way around this system for a car thief. I work very closely with the companies that manufacturer the transponder bypass kits. We strive to simplify the installation process through extensive testing and research on the vehicles these products are built for. I can assure you that if an easier method comes to light, we will find it first!

FYI: If you or anyone else is interested in these kits, they are priced as follows:

AUTOTRAN TRANSPONDER KIT: (requires a key) $20.00 U.S. plus shipping

PKH KEYLESS TRANSPONDER KIT: (no key required) $35.00 U.S. plus shipping

I would be happy to send these to anyone that wants one.

Have a nice day!
Old 10-17-2001 | 11:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Fred--

My intent wasn't to put down the transponder kits that you offer; I'm sure that they perform as advertised--if one came already installed in my car, I wouldn't have it taken out. OTOH--the Loctronics and similar devices are a total joke; if one ever came installed in a vehicle I was planning to purchase, I would demand that it be taken out. Dealers may balk at this, but after you explain how easy it is to bypass, they have no choice but to concede.

In any case--whatever solution someone wishes to choose, he/she needs to keep in mind that it will only deter the amateur car thief; nothing--not the kits, my cheesy method, or anything else (except maybe Lo-Jack) will prevent a professional from taking your car. As you know, one doesn't necessarily need to start a car in order to take it, plus many cars these days are taken more for parts rather than selling it...

Tony
Old 10-17-2001 | 12:13 PM

Well put my friend!
Old 10-21-2001 | 11:11 AM
Safety Car

Fred if there is a possibility, I was wondering if u can post a diagram of the ECU or post what the wires goin to the ECU of a 1st Gen Acura 3.2 TL do. I want to hook up an S-AFC controller and to be honest i don't really trust any of the places around my area to do it either. It would help a great deal. Thanx.
Old 11-01-2001 | 03:31 PM
Racer

97 2.5 tl

hello everyone
sorry this is all late and all
but i am trying to install an alarm w/ remote start in a 97 2.5 tl
and am having techincal difficulties.
if anyone can help me in finding all the wires I need that would be a great help
mainly the door trigger wire which is the one missing in action
any help would be highly appreciated
thank you
Old 11-02-2001 | 11:14 AM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Hey fredg,

I am a newbie 1st gen member and I do not have tons of money for my sounds, I do like to transfer my bazooka from my van to my 98 3.2 TL. I would like to put it in my trunk.

Can you please help with the wiring and stuff?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Mandy
Old 11-04-2001 | 07:42 AM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

FRDG!

Following up, if you can tell me where I can get the 12V power source somewhere in the truck, then I can install my 8" bazooka in my trunk.

Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2001 | 11:46 PM
Racer

fredg, you kick @ss, thanks for all the free help!
tdoh, thanks for the objevtive opinion, it's hard to have discussions sometimes without sounding like a pr!ck, since it's so tough to express opinions and seem benevolent at the same time, and you do a pretty decent job.