Yet another Custom enclosure TSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008 | 11:37 PM
Instructor

Yet another Custom enclosure TSX

So over the weekend i decided to put my old Alpine Type R's sub to good uses, which been sitting around for years... but I didn't want to use the old box cause it took half of the trunk space so i started to fiber glass it instead...

I started off with a mold...

Blue Painter Tape works best IMO

Then started off with fiberglassing it

and WHA LA! its the mold what would be using

after layers and layers of fiberglass to make it strong, i trimmed off the part i dont need

not pictured is the rings i made to hold the subwoofer in place
after the rings are in place put some kind of stretchy fabric all around the enclosure and ring...
and start fiberglassing it which going to look like this

and now this is how a fiberglass enclosure looks like

i'm not done fiberglassing it i need a few more layers on it and also need to wrap some carpet around it and BAM i'm done

and yes a 12in will fit for those who's wondering
Old 01-09-2008 | 10:08 AM
givin the business

looks good
Old 01-09-2008 | 08:06 PM
Racer

turning out pretty good. keep us updated.
Old 01-09-2008 | 10:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Looks great, you've got the glass skills down, but that's got to be too shallow for a 12". Approx volume?
Old 01-13-2008 | 06:58 PM
Instructor

FINALLY!! I'm done with my enclosure...

so here's the finish product

It's not the best of the best nor professional... but hey its good enough for me! i kno the vinyl isn't all smooth but oh well!!
Old 01-13-2008 | 07:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reach
Looks great, you've got the glass skills down, but that's got to be too shallow for a 12". Approx volume?
its not too shallow.. but i really dont kow the volume of it... but it sound alot better than my other box i bought...
Old 01-14-2008 | 01:18 PM
Instructor

good job but i think that grey carpet would look better than vynl and match the trunk. Oh well...still looks ok.
Old 01-14-2008 | 01:53 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

holy shit did you decide to skip on the bondo and sanding. I mean seriously looks like you did the fiberglass and no finishing work.
Old 01-14-2008 | 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Work looks great, but you should really take that vinyl off and sand that surface down. It looks very unfinished and rough. And/Or do like bze said and get some gray carpet to match the trunk to really make it look nice
Old 01-14-2008 | 06:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
holy shit did you decide to skip on the bondo and sanding. I mean seriously looks like you did the fiberglass and no finishing work.

haha yes i did... i got lazy and i needed music for my trip but oh well i can always redo it and everything but hey it's not like i'm driving with my trunk all open to be showing it off :-)
Old 01-16-2008 | 09:31 PM
Advanced

I built a box out of mdf that looks better than that.. take your time. Suund is one thing, but finish is another. This reminds me of something a high school kid would do. I have one 10" and my box is bigger. You have to be distorting like a mother...

I know your trunk might not be open, but the idea of DIY is to be proud of what you do... right? Why post if it looks like poo?
Old 01-16-2008 | 11:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by warriorxc
I built a box out of mdf that looks better than that.. take your time. Suund is one thing, but finish is another. This reminds me of something a high school kid would do. I have one 10" and my box is bigger. You have to be distorting like a mother...

I know your trunk might not be open, but the idea of DIY is to be proud of what you do... right? Why post if it looks like poo?
actually i'm not distorting it sound real good and alot better than the box i bought for the sub... but yeah i might re wrap it again since i found some trunk carpet up in the attic
Old 01-21-2008 | 08:19 AM
Registered CL-er!

looks good imo. alot better than most. whats holding the enclosure in place? mounting brackets or screws? Did u add poly fill?
Old 01-26-2008 | 09:48 AM
Intermediate

Was this your inspiration???

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...0RS6SS&g=12400

Seriously...

So much concern of how a sub looks instead of sounds? smooth CL-in please post a picture of an enclosure that this one looks better than!

How about trying to approximate the volume of that enclosure to see if you have the sub set up right? Some sort of acoustic insulation might be a good idea too...
Old 01-30-2008 | 09:44 AM
Registered CL-er!

Originally Posted by K25LOL
Was this your inspiration???

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...0RS6SS&g=12400

Seriously...

So much concern of how a sub looks instead of sounds? smooth CL-in please post a picture of an enclosure that this one looks better than!

How about trying to approximate the volume of that enclosure to see if you have the sub set up right? Some sort of acoustic insulation might be a good idea too...
Why don't you post a pic of your custom sub enclosure!!! why flame the guy????... this might be his first sub enclosure build and wants to show it off, so what if its not perfect, probably sounds good and that's all that matters!!
Old 01-30-2008 | 06:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by smooth CL-in
Why don't you post a pic of your custom sub enclosure!!!....
OK!

...its in my TSX now!
Old 01-30-2008 | 06:40 PM
3.2L Vtec

enclosure looks decent.... congrats on doing it and getting it semi done... Mad props foor the trunk space you saved... if you like it then who cares what other people think
Old 01-31-2008 | 03:08 PM
Instructor

all that work...and you put a JBL sub in it?
Old 01-31-2008 | 03:29 PM
Back in a TL again.

Originally Posted by bignoodleboi

It's not the best of the best nor professional... but hey its good enough for me! i kno the vinyl isn't all smooth but oh well!!

on saving space im with you i could care less how it looks. put the carpet over it and

If this was for show then yes i would care but for the purpose it serves for him i think its great.
Old 01-31-2008 | 08:32 PM
Registered CL-er!

Originally Posted by K25LOL
OK!

...its in my TSX now!
....so, i guess u can cosider it custom since u built it...? ok. it's neat, i'll give you that. i don't see anything special with a bandpass box, they just waste space imo. i can see it in hatchback, (ur rsx) suv or wagon but, Its pointless in the trunk unless its ported trough the deck or the seat are down.
Old 02-01-2008 | 04:37 PM
Intermediate

I removed the rear 6x9's...
Old 02-02-2008 | 01:17 AM
Registered CL-er!

Orginally Posted by K25LOL
I removed the rear 6x9's...
Old 02-02-2008 | 02:38 PM
Intermediate

Do you need a picture of the speaker grills without the speaker or the speakers outside of the car???
Old 02-02-2008 | 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by vetalik
on saving space im with you i could care less how it looks. put the carpet over it and

If this was for show then yes i would care but for the purpose it serves for him i think its great.
I think it's a great enclosure, I just think the vinyl stretched over it makes it look bad, carpet would probably hide the blemishes better which is what I suggested as well
Old 04-29-2008 | 11:40 PM
Instructor

ok i kno my first enclosure wasn't all that great cause you know it was my first time... but this is my second box i made for my sis bf which i actually took my beautiful time and all since he was paying me... so here it is... he drive the same TSX just a different color and no navi... same process and all now with carpet just alittle bigger tell me what you guys think

Old 04-30-2008 | 12:39 AM
CL in lawnmower status

it looks great , about how long did it take you to do all of that, for the second enclosure i mean? also where did you get the extra carpet from? and i'd suggest some sort of sub grill so that nothing punctures the sub when cornering hard.
Old 04-30-2008 | 12:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mitch14
it looks great , about how long did it take you to do all of that, for the second enclosure i mean? also where did you get the extra carpet from? and i'd suggest some sort of sub grill so that nothing punctures the sub when cornering hard.
it took me less den a week everyday so yeah... i got the carpet from some fabric store which was pretty cheap and surpised it matched with the car trunk....
Old 04-30-2008 | 01:16 AM
10th Gear

WOW looks great!!! how did you end up securing the enclosure to the car?
Old 04-30-2008 | 04:05 PM
Registered CL-er!

nice work. better the second time around
Old 04-30-2008 | 05:13 PM
Thass Wassup!

Originally Posted by smooth CL-in
....so, i guess u can cosider it custom since u built it...? ok. it's neat, i'll give you that. i don't see anything special with a bandpass box, they just waste space imo. i can see it in hatchback, (ur rsx) suv or wagon but, Its pointless in the trunk unless its ported trough the deck or the seat are down.

Not to dogg on you, but you apparently don't know shit about mobile audio. I can agree that bandpass boxes, yes, take up a lot of space but also if built properly, will sound decent. And for those of you building fiberglass enclosures and custom fitting them, its just for looks, IMO, from the 7 years of mobile audio experience I've had, sound like pure crap. If you want the quality of audio and get your money's worth, you need to build a custom slot ported box. Yes, it is common, but if built to the spec of your sub, you'll be hitting nice and hard, getting very very clean lows, and bringing your subs efficiency up.

www.realmofexcursion.com
Old 04-30-2008 | 05:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bignoodleboi

Wassup Kevin! This is Gee mang, I didn't know you were on here! your box looks horrible man..lol j/k. I'm trying to finish my audio also, no glass for me though just basic MDF box with a beauty plate and amp racks, should look pretty nice when I'm done with it.
Old 05-01-2008 | 10:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by illmat1k
Not to dogg on you, but you apparently don't know shit about mobile audio. I can agree that bandpass boxes, yes, take up a lot of space but also if built properly, will sound decent. And for those of you building fiberglass enclosures and custom fitting them, its just for looks, IMO, from the 7 years of mobile audio experience I've had, sound like pure crap. If you want the quality of audio and get your money's worth, you need to build a custom slot ported box. Yes, it is common, but if built to the spec of your sub, you'll be hitting nice and hard, getting very very clean lows, and bringing your subs efficiency up.

www.realmofexcursion.com
So these fiberglass enclosures sound like pure crap? https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/custom-fiberglass-subwoofer-enclosures-358676/
You've been building enclosures since you were 11? I didn't even know 11 years old knew enough math to calculate this kind of stuff.
Old 05-01-2008 | 10:12 PM
Thass Wassup!

Originally Posted by White92
So these fiberglass enclosures sound like pure crap? https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358676
You've been building enclosures since you were 11? I didn't even know 11 years old knew enough math to calculate this kind of stuff.
haha, you'd be surprised at my capabilities. I didn't start doing custom enclosures until I was 13 and did my full fiberglass job near 14. And those enclosures in that link are engineered, but still, its more for the look and still will NEVER sound as good as a custom slot ported box built to a subwoofers specs. Take for example 1 FI Car Audio BTL 12" I talked about in my previous post, I built a 3.6cu^ft transmission line box tuned at 31hz, it hits 140db at the dash. And surpasses the sound quality of most subwoofers out there. Yea, there's hype about JL Audio because they make great quality equipment, yet way overpriced. FI will smash on JL any day, in sound quality and in power. So my point here is that if you want some good sound quality, stay away from fiberglass.
Old 05-02-2008 | 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

haha, you'd be surprised at my capabilities. I didn't start doing custom enclosures until I was 13 and did my full fiberglass job near 14. And those enclosures in that link are engineered, but still, its more for the look and still will NEVER sound as good as a custom slot ported box built to a subwoofers specs. Take for example 1 FI Car Audio BTL 12" I talked about in my previous post, I built a 3.6cu^ft transmission line box tuned at 31hz, it hits 140db at the dash. And surpasses the sound quality of most subwoofers out there. Yea, there's hype about JL Audio because they make great quality equipment, yet way overpriced. FI will smash on JL any day, in sound quality and in power. So my point here is that if you want some good sound quality, stay away from fiberglass.
I think you should take your kind words and your expert experience and hit the road son!
Old 05-02-2008 | 11:03 AM
Instructor

Illmat is 18. Just because you cant make a fiberglass box sound good doesnt mean someone else cant. Its also much lighter than your heavy 140 db box. I say nice job to bignoodle. He has bass and trunk space. What a concept.
Old 05-02-2008 | 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by uncald4
I think you should take your kind words and your expert experience and hit the road son!
Old 05-02-2008 | 11:42 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

wow that second enclosure is hella sick!! Very nice work...makes me wanna try my hand at fiberglassing my own

however, how would you go about calculating the internal volume for something so irregularly shaped?
Old 05-02-2008 | 01:20 PM
Instructor

packing peanuts!! really. What I do is make a square box out of cardboard for the desired internal volume and then fill it up with packing peanuts. Then you can transfer the peanuts to the box you are making to get an idea of the box size required.
Old 05-02-2008 | 06:32 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

^^ haha wow, good idea man
Old 05-02-2008 | 06:38 PM
Registered CL-er!

so u think u know all about car audio because you have 7 years experience... wow i hope u got that shit on ur resume..oh, btw... do you even know what a resume is ????!!!

u probably didn't even read this entire thread to see what the whole argument was about. u should read a bit more b4 u post on a forum u know nothing about. u fail.

Last edited by smooth CL-in; 05-02-2008 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Yet another Custom enclosure TSX