Xover placement

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xover placement

Some background. I'm new to the forum. I purchase my 05 TSX w/Navi about a month ago and I'm enjoying it everyday. Now I want to upgrade the audio system: MB Quart PCE216 in the front doors, MB Quart PCE164 add a woofer in the rear doors, Tang band 6.5 sub-woofers in the rear deck mounted on 1/2" thk ABS DIY adapter plates. I'll be using an old PPI5440 amp I have laying around until I upgrade it to JL Audio 500/5 or PPI DCX800-5.

Anyways, the MB Quarts came with these huge Xovers that I want to mount close to the amp in the trunk, and run six pairs of speaker wires (2 tweets, and 4 mids) to tap into the OEM speaker wires near the OEM amp.

Do you see any problem doing it this way? Would it be better to mount the Xover closer to the speakers.

Thank you for your response.

Nick
Old 04-08-2005, 06:35 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not an expert when it comes to running speaker wire, but i have noticed that most of the installs done by StreetEffectz and DerrickM that i have seen, mount the crossovers on the door. Why exactly, i dont know, but i am just making an observation.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:06 PM
Racer

Welcome to the forum Nick.

I have never seen the inside of a TSX door, so I don't have much to offer. Maybe StreetEffectz (Ron) can lend some ideas. Elduderino is also very knowledgeable about the TSX, but I think he's in Vegas for the weekend.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ok .. i know what you are talkin about....

Best way to do it is this:

Run the speaker wire for the tweeters, fron door woofer, and rear door woofer from the trunk down to the middle consol .. tap into the bigger plug at the oem amp location. connect the wire from the amp to the wire on the plug by tapping into it and you'll be good. the woofer in the rear deck is right there by the amp .. no need to run extra wires
Old 04-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Burning Brakes

here:

Connect front left tweeter speaker wire from the amp to:
A4 Blue/Orange (-)
A14 Grey/Blue (+)

Connect front right tweeter speaker wire form the amp to:
A11 Pink/Black (-)
A1 Black/Red (+)

Front left woofer:
A13 Light Green (-)
A3 Green/Black (+)

Front Right woofer:
A12 Grey/Red (-)
A2 Green/Yellow

Rear Left woofer:
A16 Green (-)
A6 White (+)

Rear Right wooffer:
A17 Blue/Orange (-)
A7 Blue/Red (+)

Rear deck speaker .. just connect straight to the amp
Old 04-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

http://www.cifrancis.com/acuratsx_sm...udiosystem.jpg

i got those wireing schematic from this ^
Old 04-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I've done a few TSX's and we did put the crossovers in the door, and quite large crossovers at that, so any crossover you have WILL fit in there. This isn't the TSX door, but I do have pics, but it will end up looking similar to this:

Old 04-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Advanced

Talking Thank you for the quick responses.

You guys do make me feel welcome at the forum.

My main concern is signal loss. I'll be using 16 Ga wires from the amp to the oem connector so I don't think the loss will be that bad.

I do like the idea of the Xovers being exposed and easy to get to for tweeking and tuning after I reinstalled the door panels and center console. I know that the MB quart tweeters are notorious for being bright, so I want to be able to adjust the signal strength to the tweeters after everything is buttoned up. Also, to me the MB Quart Xover are beautiful ( I paid too much money for them to keep them hidden) so I want to show them off next to my amp.

Anyways, I won't get to install the system until next weekend so keep your thoughts coming. I really appreciate them. I'll take lots of pictures of my install and will let you guys/girls know how the system sound.

Thank you,

Nick
Old 04-09-2005, 05:48 AM
Burning Brakes

there's probably no signal loss. 16guage is pretty damn big for speakers. the only thing i'd think of signal loss is when you tap into that plug .. bc those plugs's wires are i think 20 guage (higher the number .. the smaller the diameter of the wire). if you decide not to do this way .. you can put the cross over by the kick panel on the passenger side .. and under the dash on the driver side .. there's a slot you can use ... the slot is located behind the VSA button area.... good luck!!
Old 04-10-2005, 11:09 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I am scared of MBQ tweets in the OEM location... they are x'd over a bit too high IMO to be that far from the mid, and the glass will emphasizethe HF resonances and maybe be a bit ... forward?

YOu may end up getting some transparent plastic sheet and putting it on the inside of the W/S for reflection control...

Let us know how it goes.

And I used the OEM speaker wire into the door and things seem OK. Perhaps I would get a big improvement with new wire.