XM SkyFi Location

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 11:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM SkyFi Location

If anyone has the Delphi SkyFi in their TSX, where did you put it? Anyone have pics?

I have a Sirius Kenwood unit with the face velcroed to the door of the storage compartment. I'm probably going to cancel Sirius and I know I won't be able to attach the SkyFi in this manner so I was hoping some else had it to give me an idea where to put it.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Instructor

I put my XM remote box in the sunglass holder of my TL-S. The TSX holder looks bigger. You may want to wait. I talked w/my local installer and he said end of February early March they will have a connection for cs audio and can control the station through the Navi.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Cruisin'

My dealer told me Acura had an XM receiver that integrated into the compartment above the gear shifter. He is looking into getting one.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Advanced

I just had the Delphi, commander put in my TSX. My is at/wo nav.

I have the 2 flip top storage compartments. This is attached to the back of the top one. the bad news is that it is hard to see while seat comfortable in the drivers seat, I'm short and therefore sit closet to the wheel. I do not think it would be a problem is the seat was back a bit (it has a remote)

The bad news is the good news for me. I told the audio guys to install it where it would not alter the appearance of the dash at all. I didn't want to see it, if possible. I use it for the ESPN and sports radio so I don't really change the channel that much.

I like it.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Instructor

CGull..NOOOOOOOOOOO. Much to expensive and quality is not good at all. The Acura is FM modulated. Sound quality is not very good that way.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Advanced

I disagree with the sound quality. If you are used to listening to FM radio, it is better than that. Digital Audio can be a little too clean to my ear. You really have to be a hard core music person to even tell the difference between FM modulation and Direct imput.

Anyone who tells you otherwise, probably had a car load of amps, eqs, and speakers booming at some point in their lives IMO
Old 01-18-2004, 06:11 PM
Instructor

You can get a lott of hissing/humming w/fm modulation.

www.xmfan.com

Try this link. Get some different opinions. You can get a good xm set for $200 or less. Your dealer will be $500 or more.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by cgull
My dealer told me Acura had an XM receiver that integrated into the compartment above the gear shifter. He is looking into getting one.
The XM unit we saw at the dealership (for an extra $1,000) is exactly the same as this Alpine controller/tuner combo that you can get for $299: http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/print...ler_tuner.html. I'm told you could get it installed for around $150. Significant savings, eh?

I had an Alpine system in my old car, so I will probably reuse the tuner and antenna (I already have the TUA-T020XM shown at the link above) and buy this controller piece ($89 retail). I'm a little nervous about FM modulation and quality. I'd like to try a direct connection with the SHOND3 from Soundgate to see if I can tell the diff. My hubby is an installer for Car Toys (20+ yrs experience), so I have the means to experiment. I also wish this unit had blue backlighting, but I've been told it's possible to change the color of the bulbs. Don't know if I'll take it that far.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Advanced

The commander has beautiful blue back lighting that almost matched the dash exactly
Old 01-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Instructor

I already have the SkyFi and just wanted to get an idea of where to mount it. I saw someone selling something on ebay that looks like a stalk. It attaches to the passenger seat bolt on the floor and it sticks up and you mount the skyfi to it. Looks interesting because it's non-invasive.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by billyho96
The commander has beautiful blue back lighting that almost matched the dash exactly
Yeah, I like the looks of the Commander but I haven't seen it in real life, just in pics on the Web. (I thought the backlight was white.) I think it would fill the space better too. The Alpine controller looks kinda small and lost when mounted.

If I went the XM Commander route, I would have to buy a new tuner. Not the end of the world, tho, and that might make my old system easier to sell.

Hmmm.... I might be changing my mind.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Wait a month or so.

Then the connection will be out to run the xm through the Navi, thats if you have Navi. Sorry just realizes that.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Cruisin'

So no modulation right? I was told by the dealer that it would integrate clean w/o FM modulation. Still have yet to see what the thing looks like or how much it costs unless they are still white labeling the Alpine. I miss XM though. One issue I have with XM in general is that the signal sux even with direct RCA feed. It is very "Bassy" and lacks mids. I hook it up to my yamaha at home and the quality is very poor. I think this is due to them cramminng as many channels as they can down the pipe at the cost of quality, ie lower sample rate. Anyone else notice this?

Evelion is right.... Could this be it over at http://acuradriver.safeshopper.com/25/cat25.htm?878 ?

It looks like they split the bottom compartment and it no longer closes? If $500 is the price then I am not sure its worth it. I won't pay more than $200.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:37 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty sure that is a FM modulated unit.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:22 PM
4th Gear

Originally posted by roverhater
I put my XM remote box in the sunglass holder of my TL-S. The TSX holder looks bigger. You may want to wait. I talked w/my local installer and he said end of February early March they will have a connection for cs audio and can control the station through the Navi.
This would be great if it comes true. Do you have any updates on this? Did you hear this from an Acura Dealer or a car stereo shop?
Old 02-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Instructor

Place that has installed at least 15 different things for me over the years. He either talked to soundgate or blitzsafe directly. Id wait a month if you can, I have been waiting. I miss lauging to comedy channel during my commute.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:37 PM
4th Gear

Thanks, I haven't decided yet between Sirius or XM. I think I'd like Sirius for its widening selection of programming. However, if XM will integrate with the Navigation system just like the TL then that's where I'm going