XM or Serius in Non-Navi TSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM or Serius in Non-Navi TSX

I want to put XM or serius into my 04 and put the unit into the "not an Ashtray" area. I hear the factory unit for a non-navi goes in that area, but I have yet to see a picture of it.

first question: Does anyone have a picture of their 05 tsx with that OEM XM unit in there?

Second question: are there any other units that can go into the "not an ashtray" area and NOT ahve to take out the power jack? ( I have a radar detector that plugs in that power jack)

Third question: Does anyone have any idea how much the install is for that?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:21 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
1) I've seen lots here.
2) I think the new Sirius Starbase will fit there. At any rate, you should hardwire your RD anyway...
3) In Maryland? There was an MD Tweeter employee called GMfreed that should be able to tell you that - PM him? Be ready to spend for a good installer BTW...
Old 01-19-2005, 11:58 PM
VP Electricity

Starbase pic:
http://prn.newscom.com/cgi-bin/pub/s...iew&tr=1&row=1
Old 01-20-2005, 08:26 AM
Intermediate

Tweeter in NC quoted me $50 plus parts...

...to install Sirius. They wire the power straight to the fuse box, and the head unit into the AUX plug in the back of the CD Player. There's a special connection cable they had to order....forget the part number sorry....
Old 01-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Is there a way to install one of those units in the "not an ashtray" AND keep the plug beside it?? I was wondering what the 2005 tsx looks like wiht their XM in the "not an ashtray".

i was looking for a picture on here, but I could not find one at all.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:53 AM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by wvu1999
...to install Sirius. They wire the power straight to the fuse box, and the head unit into the AUX plug in the back of the CD Player. There's a special connection cable they had to order....forget the part number sorry....
FYI, this isn't much help. The "special connection cable" is the SHOND (or equivalent) that's been discussed in maybe a hundred threads - and you don't get it and the isntal for $50, sorry. I hope they don't use fuse taps... pros don't use them. They should grab radio or ign-switch wires instead.

And install varies regionally even with the same co - we've checked this with Tweeter before. No one should do this for $50 - that's less than 1 hour of work in most cities, and the job I would get for one hour would not be very good, I'm afraid...
Old 01-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Intermediate

>>No one should do this for $50 - that's less than 1 hour of work in most cities

Umm, this install is so simple, if it took more than an hour, their installer should be fired.

I'm getting this done on my aftermarket Alpine CD Player in my CRV, so the SHOND wire doesn't apply here....

>>I hope they don't use fuse taps... pros don't use them. They should grab radio or
>>ign-switch wires instead.

Good point, although I may have misunderstood the tech when he described how they would do it.

Trending Topics

Old 01-20-2005, 04:21 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by wvu1999
>>No one should do this for $50 - that's less than 1 hour of work in most cities

Umm, this install is so simple, if it took more than an hour, their installer should be fired.
This question has to do with installing a controller in the NOT AN ASHTRAY position while keeping the cig lighter socket. You have to install a sat antenna, get power, and properly position and mount a Sirius controller in that area without it looking ghetto... and get the SHOND installed, and t-shoot for noise (common issue on this board when this is done...) Not a slam.

I have a '99 CR-V with the Alpine XM controller flushed in my headliner aft of the rear-view, with the trim ring color-matched, and with the Ai-NET adapted to RCA... I don't see it as taking dramatically less than 1 hour without being a slam job.
What possible qualification do you have in deciding when someone should be fired?
Old 01-21-2005, 07:49 AM
Instructor

thanks guys for your help! now I know it can be done. Just got to find which unit is small enough to fit in that tiny space.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Stardog Champion

Originally Posted by DCyamaha
thanks guys for your help! now I know it can be done. Just got to find which unit is small enough to fit in that tiny space.
I don't think you're gonna find one that small anymore- most of the newer units are designed for two-line music display plus other info.

I stuck the XM Commander in the DIN pocket in the center console, it looks OK and my wife didn't use it anyway, she keeps her CDs in the console between the seats.

Good luck though.