XM Sat. Head Units for Acura TL-thpe S

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XM Sat. Head Units for Acura TL-thpe S

I realize there are head units that would probably work in my new TL;however, I hate to give up my 6disc changer and also my Cassette player. Does anyone know of a head unit with the same features plus XM radio band?? I hate to buy an fm modulator kit. Has anyone had any experience with getting xm radio? Would an fm mod. kit sound bad??Thanks for your input..
Old 01-16-2002, 12:54 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My brother has a car stereo/after market parts business and he sent me the Sony FM modulator XM set up for the holidays. Sounds great! The sony fm modulator is much smaller than the pioneer.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:09 AM
Drifting

the only way to obtain your specs is to got with an aftermarket double din unit from a company that also offers xm radio options. these will use their proprietary buses to integrate the audio...no modulators here! i tried to look up kenwood, but i can't seem to find a xm option. pioneer does have the xm option and i know they offer double dins too. the only problem would be these are single cd type of players. i don't think that is a bad setup since you can add a changer to the trunk for the standard set of cds you listen to, and have the dash player as a spare for those times when you buy a new cd or if a passenger brings one. kinda like a 6+1, 10+1, 12+1 setups.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:14 AM
Instructor

What kind of Antenna did you mount on your car for the fm. mod. kit? If external, does it glue on the back windshield? If so, does it affect your navigation unit? One store offered me a magnetic mount ant. and I don't want that. How much work to installing and also, does your fm. mod. screen show what song and which artist ? Does your mod kit sound as good as most cd's and better that the best sounding fm station you ever listened to?
Old 01-22-2002, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My antenna is a magnetic mounted one that looks like the antennas on the bmw or mercedes. Really small on the center of roof near the rear window. It looks good. I have no clue how he ran the wires if there are any. I dropped the car off and picked it up when he was done. The sound quality is excellent. As for the song name and stuff, it shows up on the screen and the unit even came with a remote. Check out XM's site and look at the sony unit. It should have all the details. Watch out which antenna you get because some of them are too big.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:17 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
XM Antenna

My Sony XM unit came with a magnetic mount antenna, but I switched to the Terk adhesive mount instead. The magnetic mount has to be removed when you wash the car, while the adhesive model is more permanent.

The Terk has a lower profile, and mounts on the trunk; It does not interfere with navi at all and reception has been perfect- just like the Sony.

I liked the Sony antenna wire better- it's more durable, and the connectors are more reliable. The Terk connectors need to be tightened up every so often.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:33 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
StanMan,

The reason you can't find a Kenwood with XM is that they are going with Sirius. They haven't launched their satellites yet plus they are having chip problems in their receiver units. Last I heard of the satellite launch date was February. Pioneer went with XM.