XM Radio Installation: Circuit City

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 06:23 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XM Radio Installation: Circuit City

Hi,

I did a search on XM, but none of the existing threads seems particularly related to my question(s). I own a TSX w/navi and am thinking about getting XM Radio. First of all, let me just say that my lack of technical prowess means that installing it myself is not even remotely an option. I wouldn't install a new gas cap myself.

I went to Circuit City to get an idea of what hardware I'd need (an antenna, a receiver, and an FM modulator?) and, more importantly, where in the car they'd install it. After looking over the car, they recommended mounting it to the *outside* of the compartment door just under the navigation system. This concerns me for two reasons: 1. that storage compartment will no longer be usable, and 2. it will look like ass. I mentioned that I had heard about people installing theirs *inside* one of the two compartments (and maybe even in the overhead sunglasses bin?), but when I asked about it, they didn't think there would be enough room to slide the unit in and out (presumably for taking it between the house and the car).

Questions:

Where in your TSX did *you* physically install (or have professionally installed) the XM receiver?

Would I be better off with XM Roady (with the FM modulator kit) as far as fit goes? (I'd prefer to be able to use it at home or in the car, but if it will physically fit better in the car, I'd consider it.)

Does anyone have any personal experience with Circuit City?

Do you have any other advice?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-28-2003, 06:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: XM Radio Installation: Circuit City

Originally posted by mcourt83
Hi,

I did a search on XM, but none of the existing threads seems particularly related to my question(s). I own a TSX w/navi and am thinking about getting XM Radio. First of all, let me just say that my lack of technical prowess means that installing it myself is not even remotely an option. I wouldn't install a new gas cap myself.

I went to Circuit City to get an idea of what hardware I'd need (an antenna, a receiver, and an FM modulator?) and, more importantly, where in the car they'd install it. After looking over the car, they recommended mounting it to the *outside* of the compartment door just under the navigation system. This concerns me for two reasons: 1. that storage compartment will no longer be usable, and 2. it will look like ass. I mentioned that I had heard about people installing theirs *inside* one of the two compartments (and maybe even in the overhead sunglasses bin?), but when I asked about it, they didn't think there would be enough room to slide the unit in and out (presumably for taking it between the house and the car).

Questions:

Where in your TSX did *you* physically install (or have professionally installed) the XM receiver?

Would I be better off with XM Roady (with the FM modulator kit) as far as fit goes? (I'd prefer to be able to use it at home or in the car, but if it will physically fit better in the car, I'd consider it.)

Does anyone have any personal experience with Circuit City?

Do you have any other advice?

Thanks,

Mike
The 2003 Accord has an entire kit for the XM Radio. Go to HandA-accessories.com and check it out. I might be slightly more pricey, but you'll get a din chasis and the ability to hook it in OEM.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Thanks! I might stop at a Honda dealership on my way home.

Anyone else have any input?

Mike
Old 10-28-2003, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

that XM unit is the same one they install at the dealer, its an alpine unit and can be had online for less than the dealer, its also connected via FM modulator. buy the roady and get the interface everyone else is getting allowing you to connect it through the AUX input.