Would a high-low converter help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2001, 04:10 PM
Bagged hybrid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a high-low converter help?

I'm using my stock deck with new components and 6x9s powered with an Apline V12 amp. The amp has speaker level inputs, so I just hooked the deck directly onto the amp. The problem is that I hear a hiss (background noise) when the stereo is on. Would a speaker level to line level (high-low) converter solve this problem? Thanks.
Old 10-21-2001, 10:06 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Would a high-low converter help?

Originally posted by ronnie0738
I'm using my stock deck with new components and 6x9s powered with an Apline V12 amp. The amp has speaker level inputs, so I just hooked the deck directly onto the amp. The problem is that I hear a hiss (background noise) when the stereo is on. Would a speaker level to line level (high-low) converter solve this problem? Thanks.
If you hook the V12 amp using speaker-level-input, you need to the speaker out after the Stock amp. If you got rid of the stock amp, you should connect RCA cable to the outputs from the stock HU, I heard it's line-level not speaker-level. If the noise persists, try mounting your ground at a different place. If that doesnt help, check to make sure your signal cables and power wires are not laying next to each other. If yes, try to seperate them out. If it's the only way to go, use some shield signal cables (they are more expensive but a lot better in my case). If all that dont cut it, go to Radioshack and get a "ground loop isolator" for 14.99 and put it in. It helps most of the time. You can try other brands as well. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:08 AM
Bagged hybrid

I got rid of the stock amp, so I just connected the wires from the HU that went to the stock amp to the speaker level inputs on the V12 amp. I didn't know our HU had RCA line level outs...if so, I'll just run RCA and that would be great...but I heard a lot of people who kept their stock HU use a high-low converter. I checked all the wires and they are okay...I'm already using a ground loop isolator, so that can't be it. Thanks for your help tho.

Does anyone know for sure if we have RCA outs on our HU?
Old 10-22-2001, 07:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the stock head unit does not have rca outs. you're gonna have to either connect rcas to the outputs of the stereo or put LOC. my sound system...i'm using a LOC from the stock amp to an alpine amp to power the main speakers. i do hear the hizz as well but i think this is due to the LOC. i've never been able to get rid of this hissing....even with my older cars and after market amps using a LOC.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:19 AM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by icy CL
the stock head unit does not have rca outs. you're gonna have to either connect rcas to the outputs of the stereo or put LOC. my sound system...i'm using a LOC from the stock amp to an alpine amp to power the main speakers. i do hear the hizz as well but i think this is due to the LOC. i've never been able to get rid of this hissing....even with my older cars and after market amps using a LOC.
Our stock HU doesnt have RCA output but the outputs from the HU is at line level, try to splice a pair of RCA cables to it and see if the noise goes away. If you wanna know the color codes check the link in my sig and go to sound template. There is a table with all the wires. Hope it helps.
Old 10-22-2001, 04:02 PM
Bagged hybrid

icy cl and Silverknight -

Thanks for all the info guys. I bought the RCA converters (SNI35s) and I'm going to try running them directly into the V12 and see if I get decent output. I hope this reduces the hiss I hear at low volume. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:40 PM
Tech Guy / Likes to Drive

icy cl and Silverknight -

Thanks for all the info guys. I bought the RCA converters (SNI35s) and I'm going to try running them directly into the V12 and see if I get decent output. I hope this reduces the hiss I hear at low volume. Thanks again for all your help.
You need to use a line output converter in your application. The output from the head unit is insufficient for the speaker-level inputs on your alpine amp; in addition, Bose does some funny stuff with the grounds. Try using an AudioLink PD2/PD4 or the SoundGate LOCB to get the outputs to a level that the preamp inputs can handle on the Alpine amp.

By the way, one thing that most people forget is that the EQ in the CL's system is applied at the amp, so you want to bypass that if you are using non-stock speakers.

Happy listening!
Old 10-25-2001, 04:17 PM
Bagged hybrid

bc0203 - I acutally had the output straight from the HU plugged into the speaker level inputs on the amp and it worked fine. The gain was set very low b/c at high gain, I can hear a lot of background noise. I ran the converters and it sounds much clearer. I just had to adjust the gains on the amp and converters and it sounds great! Thanks for your advice.
Old 10-26-2001, 06:00 AM
Tech Guy / Likes to Drive

deleted per member's request.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:29 AM
Drifting

I see now....but how did you wire it....did you take all the - and put them together and the all the + then connected them to the SNI35? There are 4 - and 4 + so did you use them all to into 1 SNI35?
Old 10-28-2001, 06:59 PM
Bagged hybrid

NOVACLS -

You need 2 SNI35s, one for the rear and one for the front. Just hook up the wires coming from the HU with the SNIs and connect your RCAs onto your amp.
Old 10-28-2001, 07:59 PM
Drifting

NOVACLS -

You need 2 SNI35s, one for the rear and one for the front. Just hook up the wires coming from the HU with the SNIs and connect your RCAs onto your amp.
I think I might just need 1 cuz its going into my EQ first whitch has only 1 main input...then it splites it into front and rear. so you have no hiss anymore?
Old 10-28-2001, 08:26 PM
Bagged hybrid

Before I added the SNIs, I had to turn down the gain a lot to reduce the hiss, but then I can't get much sound out of the speakers. After I added the SNIs, the hiss was gone. However, if you turn up the gain on the amp or SNIs too much, you will get hiss again.
Old 10-28-2001, 09:51 PM
Drifting

Ive had great success by cutting the wires from the dec, and soldering rca ends to them. From there I connected a ground loop isolator. I get no hiss. I didnt even use a line output convertor.

Spiro
Old 10-28-2001, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by spiroh
Ive had great success by cutting the wires from the dec, and soldering rca ends to them. From there I connected a ground loop isolator. I get no hiss. I didnt even use a line output convertor.

Spiro
spiroh...that's what i plan to do. purchased some rca connectors from radio shack....will solder the wires to the rcas this week and attempt to connect the set up over the weekend.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:27 AM
Drifting

Hey let me know how it goes hooking up the EQ ...since you have the same EQ as me. How many amps are you running on it?
Old 10-29-2001, 07:29 AM
Retired. Not available.

spiroh...that's what i plan to do. purchased some rca connectors from radio shack....will solder the wires to the rcas this week and attempt to connect the set up over the weekend.
George, dont use RCA cables from Radio Shack, go to a stereo shop and get some decent shielded cables. Believe me I've been there, it makes a big different. Cheap cables may pick up noices.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SilverKnight

George, dont use RCA cables from Radio Shack, go to a stereo shop and get some decent shielded cables. Believe me I've been there, it makes a big different. Cheap cables may pick up noices.
i know what your talking about. but i just need the rca connectors...not the whole rca cable. and i wasn't gonna strip expensive monster cables to attach to the output of the head unit. what i was gonna do was solder red (+) and black (-) wires to the rca connectors i purchased from radio shack then solder those red and black wires to the positive and negative outputs of the head unit. unless you're suggesting i use the monster rca cables i have now, strip those and attach them to the head unit. i am kinda hesitant cutting those expensive monster rca cables...plus stripping those cables then separating the postive and negative wires could be tricky. i'm afraid i might leave a strand or two the negative touching the postive wires and would leave me with more noise. i dunno. what do you think? what do you think i should use?
Old 10-29-2001, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

maybe spiroh can enlighten us on what he used.....
Old 10-29-2001, 11:36 AM
Retired. Not available.

i know what your talking about. but i just need the rca connectors...not the whole rca cable. and i wasn't gonna strip expensive monster cables to attach to the output of the head unit. what i was gonna do was solder red (+) and black (-) wires to the rca connectors i purchased from radio shack then solder those red and black wires to the positive and negative outputs of the head unit. unless you're suggesting i use the monster rca cables i have now, strip those and attach them to the head unit. i am kinda hesitant cutting those expensive monster rca cables...plus stripping those cables then separating the postive and negative wires could be tricky. i'm afraid i might leave a strand or two the negative touching the postive wires and would leave me with more noise. i dunno. what do you think? what do you think i should use?
Go with the connectors, just be sure you get the gold plated ones. The regular ones that they have look kindda cheap. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SilverKnight

Go with the connectors, just be sure you get the gold plated ones. The regular ones that they have look kindda cheap. Good luck.
decided to go to circuit city and get monster cables instead. i stripped them and it looks like i'll be more comfortable using these. at least i know the soldering is a much better job than what i can do. i'll let you know how it goes.....
Old 04-26-2013, 06:39 PM
10th Gear

Old 04-26-2013, 06:41 PM
10th Gear

http://file:///C:/Users/Almir/Desktop/acuraa.jpg
hjghgjh
Old 04-26-2013, 06:41 PM
10th Gear

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Almir/Desktop/acuraa.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 PM
10th Gear

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Almir/Desktop/acuraa.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-26-2013, 06:44 PM
10th Gear

jgh

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Almir/Desktop/acuraa.jpg[/IMG]file:///C:/Users/Almir/Desktop/acuraa.jpg