Wiring help needed - driver door lock

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 11:44 AM

Wiring help needed - driver door lock

I had an alarm put in the 2002 TLS. The new alarm does not unlock the driver door on the first click and the passenger on the second, but rather, all of the locks either open or close on arm/disarm. It is possible for the alarm to do "progressive" unlocking, but the guy says he has to run a new wire into the door and take the door apart.
It seems to me the driver door lock must already have its own wire that runs to the car body already, because the stock Acura system already does progressive unlock. I haven't got delivery on my service manuals, so I don't have the schematics.
Does anyone know if there is a seperate wire, and if so, what the color scheme, wire number, and where does it terminate?
Thanks.
Old 07-27-2001, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have my Helms manuals handy but I think it's a little more complicated than that. I believe the main relay has to check the status of the first relay (driver's door--open or closed) before deciding to send the pulse to all the locks. My aftermarket alarm does the same thing, and except for some unnecessary wear and tear on the other lock actuators I'm not too concerned by it.
Old 07-27-2001, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. I would like it to work the right way, because I like the idea of leaving the passenger side locked in situations like parking lots where there are often people on the passenger side that I don't want jumping in. This way, I'm the only one that gets in.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by professor63
Thanks for the reply. I would like it to work the right way, because I like the idea of leaving the passenger side locked in situations like parking lots where there are often people on the passenger side that I don't want jumping in. This way, I'm the only one that gets in.
Did you ever get the progressive locks working in your car?
Old 08-13-2001, 12:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock wiring is multiplexed, which means multiple signals are sent through the same wire. Thats why a majority of alarm installers will run their own wires because they don't want to mess with the factory wiring (which is a good idea, because you can really mess stuff up ).
Old 08-20-2001, 02:52 PM

Yes, I finally got the progressive lock to work, but I just found out that a double key opening no longer opens the other locks. The alarm guy must have disabled that somehow. The remote works fine now.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:04 PM

There are 2 things you must understand about the doorlocks. Any alarm system you install, must be equipped to provide a feature called driver's door priority. This means that the alarm system has a seperate output for the driver's door and all doors. As for the vehicle, this is how it works.

When an alarm system is installed, the connections to the doorlocks are typ[ically made to the wires coming from the driver's doorlock cylinder. This allows the alarm to not only lock and unlock the doors, but to arm and disarm the factory alarm as well. Unlocking the doors requires 2 pulses from the alarm system, the first pulse simply disarms the factory security, the second pulse unlocks all the doors. The feature of unlocking the driver's door only is a function of the factory keyless entry.

If your alarm is equipped with a driver's door priority output, you can make it work. You will need to install a relay in the driver's door directly at the doorlock motor and run the wires from the relay inside the car. It's a bit more than I can really explain here, but if you are interested in doing this, just contact me and I can provide you with a diagram.