AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video, Electronics & Navigation (https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/)
-   -   Wiring the door speakers (https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/wiring-door-speakers-309703/)

termigator 06-12-2005 09:21 PM

Wiring the door speakers

Has anybody had experience threading wires through the doors for the speakers? Is it really hard or does it just seem hard. I would appreciate any information concerning this issue. Thanks!

ou sig 06-13-2005 12:59 AM

It is pretty hard actually...but a trick that I have used for the cars I have worked on was to cover the speaker wire with vaseline to help it slide through the tight space.

miltcharlie 06-13-2005 04:08 AM

Or.. you could send a flexable wire from the the speaker side through the groomet then attach the speaker wire to it then pull it back through.

I would not use vaseline. Vaseline has a breakdown effect on rubber. Like..Never use vaseline to put on a condom.
(And that concludes todays sex class).

rbf351 06-13-2005 07:16 AM

i just ran a wire in my driver side TL door last week, the hardest part is getting the wire into the boot, there are a few empty spaces in the actually harness connector, if you use 16 or 18 gauge wire or higher size, the wire will easily fit

ou sig 06-13-2005 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by miltcharlie
Or.. you could send a flexable wire from the the speaker side through the groomet then attach the speaker wire to it then pull it back through.

I would not use vaseline. Vaseline has a breakdown effect on rubber. Like..Never use vaseline to put on a condom.
(And that concludes todays sex class).

very true, I forgot to add...be sure to get as much as you can off the wire. But I have never had a problem using that method. I did that on my dad's truck 8 years ago and the wires are just fine (I checked because I just put in new speakers for him and the wires we used before were all good)

elduderino 06-13-2005 09:33 AM

Instead of vaseline, you can use liquid hand soap (like electricians do), WD40, or just spit on it, like I do : )

termigator 06-13-2005 10:37 AM

Can the grommets be taken off and put back on after threading the wire through it? If not, what type of flexible wire would you suggest?

StreetEffectz 06-13-2005 10:49 AM

Wire hanger + liquid soad = no headaches :)

miltcharlie 06-13-2005 10:30 PM

Wire hanger is good.
I would'nt take the groomet off. It may be impossible to put back on.

optomos 06-13-2005 10:40 PM

Some have removed the grommet to run wire through. It can be a pain to put back, but if you work it little by little it will go back in. You could also disconnect the door limiter/stop & that will give you more room to work with.

termigator 06-13-2005 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by StreetEffectz
Wire hanger + liquid soad = no headaches :)

Sounds good. Actually, I remember my brother doing the same thing with our first car about twenty years ago when we were still in high school. He used a wire hanger and wound up pucturing the grommet! :ugh: Maybe liquid soap would have helped! :whyme: