Where to mount the hardware with ipod int kit.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Mike D from Ohio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to mount the hardware with ipod int kit.

I have an 06 5AT non-nav.

I am likely getting either an iSimple or DICE integration kit. I was wondering where I can mount the parts that constitute the kit. I don't want to use up my cubby hole above 'not and ashtray.' Has anyone pulled the cubby out and mounted it in there? Or has anyone mounted it somewhere to keep it out of sight and not using up the cubby? I just want to make sure I can 'hide' it before I get it.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Acura TSX

pull down the glove box and there is alot of room there, that is were the factory i linc gets mounted
Old 12-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Isimple on 05 non-navi 6MT

I put the Isimple box inside the console towards the left side below the "not an ashtray". It will end up near your right knee (inside the console). There is not a lot of extra room inside the console for extra stuff. I drilled a hole in the rear of the bin and brought the Ipod cable through there. You can then leave the Ipod in the bin with the door closed or pull it out for operation.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Mike D from Ohio

hey, does the iSimple kit disable XM? I want one.

I want to be able to use the steering wheel buttons to operate the pod... also i'd be nice to have text on the screen (non-navi).

Does it do this?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a 05 non-navi stock radio (includes XM).

XM continues to work as it always did.

The steering wheel controls can operate the Ipod. CH + / - take you to the next / previous track on the Ipod. The VOL + / - of course raise and lower the volume. Controls on the radio do various things. The radio display shows current playing album or track name.

Let me briefly explain how you run the Isimple with an Ipod. If you are playing the FM radio and press the XM/AUX button, the radio display will briefly show you one of 4 possible inputs "XM"/"Ipod"/"Aux1"/"Aux2". Rotating the radio tuning knob cycles you through these 4 selections "XM"/"Ipod"/"Aux1"/"Aux2". When you reach the desired setting (say Ipod) leave it in the display. The Isimple switches to the Ipod and starts playing it through your speakers.
"XM" of course gets you XM radio.
"Aux1" gets you the Ipod audio but the controls on the Ipod work as usual and the radio controls won't run the Ipod.
"Aux2" gets you the audio from whatever is connected to a second connector supplied by Isimple.
"Ipod" gets you the Ipod audio and the controls on the Ipod are disabled. There is one exception-the CH +/- on the steering wheel continue to work as well as the radio tuning knob.

Two quirks.
(1)When you turn off the car, the Ipod is paused, but it is stll powered (it doesn't turn off with the key). Isimple told me this is normal. I think the current drain of an Ipod (especially a charged one) would be small. But I unplug the Ipod when turning the car off.
(2)The Isimple will not charge brand new Ipods. The Isimple supplies Firewire charging voltages and the new Ipods expect USB charging voltages. Everything else works normally - just the charging doesn't happen. There is an adapter (Scocshe Passport $25 that fixes this problem). I have a posting about it.

finally,
I have been pleased with the unit. The audio is as good as you can get with the stock TSX system. The controls work great. I've found that looking through your music on the radio display to be a bit quirky because the display is short and titles don't fully display. I typically use the "Aux1" mode and choose the music with the Ipod. I still can control the volume and switch tracks.

Last edited by darowa; 01-02-2009 at 09:22 AM.