Where to Install XM Satellite Radio in TL-S with Nav

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 11:58 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to Install XM Satellite Radio in TL-S with Nav

Where is the best place to install an XM Satellite Radio in a 2002 TL-S with Navigation System? I haven't yet bought hardware so I am open to either Delphi, Pioneer, or Alpine type receiver. My car is a lease so I don't want to make too many holes. Any photos of installs would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mike
Old 12-16-2002, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is what I am planning to do also. For sure you will need a FM module type XM radio.

James
Old 12-16-2002, 11:18 PM
Instructor

I have the Pioneer GEX-FM903XM tuner and remote in my '03 TL-S. I also have Navi.

The remote is velcro'ed to the console just below the head unit - no holes were drilled. The coin tray and power outlet are still usable.

The following thread contains a picture which I printed and gave to the installer (thanks Neuronbob):

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...atellite+radio

If you go this route, do not, I repeat DO NOT use FM modulation - your sound quality will suffer. Instead, pony up another $95 or so and get a Blitzsafe adapter, model HON/XM DMX PIO V.1 (see www.blitzsafe.com for more info). This handy-dandy cable connects the IP bus output of the Pioneer tuner directly to the CD changer input in the back of the HU. In order to listen to XM, you select the CD button on the HU. Pressing CD again switches to the CD changer. It's very cool, works great and results in much higher SQ. I believe that Blitzsafe also makes an adapter for the Alpine XM tuner.

I picked the Pioneer over the Alpine because I like the user interface better (and I think it looks better too). However, the Pioneer has a significant downside - it doesn't scroll the Artist or Song text, so you only see the first 10 characters. The Alpine unit scrolls these fields, so you'll see the entire text. In the end, I decided that the better user I/F on the Pioneer was more important than the scrolling display.

One other suggestion - don't try mounting the antenna on the inside of the car! I did, and it was dropout city. I moved it to the trunk and it works great. (I got the smallest antenna on the market - the Sony AN-XM100.) I didn't mount it on the roof since the OnStar antenna is already up there. Now my TL looks like an antenna farm, but it's worth it.

By the way, you will love XM. I'll never listen to FM again.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:43 PM
Cruisin'

egilsrud,
Thanks for the great post and the link. What is up with that wire sticking out from the head unit? Were you able to hide your wire better than that photo?
Do I understand correctly that the Alpine unit is wireless? Did you go to a Best Buy or Circuit City for the install?
Mike
Old 12-17-2002, 06:24 PM
/etc/car

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=42693

I'm probably going to rip out the FM modulator and get one of those Blitzsafe adaptors....but for right now I'm still using the same setup.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Mike,

You can't see the wire at all in my installation. According to SwampGas (sorry for not crediting you originally for the picture!), he left the wire long intentionally so that he could hide the remote in the tray between the seat heater switches when parked. Not a bad idea - the choice is up to you.

I am fairly certain that the Alpine remote is NOT wireless. From the Alpine marketing info:

"About the size of a large pack of gum, the CRA-1667RF controller/display can be installed anywhere in the driver's area and is easily connected to Alpine's TUA-T020XM receiver module, which can be secured in the trunk or under a seat."

It wouldn't need to be "connected" if it was wireless.

I didn't use either CC or BB for the install. I'm kind of anal about my car, and I chose to use an installer that had worked on my TL previously (added a subwoofer & amp). The place is Magnolia Hi-Fi, but that won't do you any good in Baltimore!

Good luck with your XM installation.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by SwampGas
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=42693

I'm probably going to rip out the FM modulator and get one of those Blitzsafe adaptors....but for right now I'm still using the same setup.
SwampGas,

You'll definitely get better sound quality by using the Blitzsafe adapter, but a word of caution: the adapter is relatively short, and won't reach all the way to the back seat where your XM tuner is located.

My installer wound up putting the tuner under the passenger floorboard. So, it may be a bit more work than you were bargaining for.

Perhaps you can contact Blitzsafe and see if there is any way to extend the adapter? Just a thought.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:40 AM
/etc/car

You'll definitely get better sound quality by using the Blitzsafe adapter, but a word of caution: the adapter is relatively short, and won't reach all the way to the back seat where your XM tuner is located.
If that's the case I'll just grab another CD bus wire, clip the end off, and insert it to make it longer. I already did a ghetto install...may as well continue the tradition.

It was 100 F with 90% humidity when I installed it. Now it's 18 F with a wind chill of 3 F when I'm going to modify it. WTF?
Old 12-19-2002, 12:27 AM
Instructor

By the way Mr. SwampGas, I would also like to thank you for your pioneering (no pun intended) work getting the Pioneer XM tuner into a TL. All I had to do was print the pic of your remote installation, hand it to my installer and tell him that's where I want it.

Good work, and thanks for sharing your knowledge with the forum.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:31 AM
/etc/car

Originally posted by egilsrud
By the way Mr. SwampGas, I would also like to thank you for your pioneering (no pun intended) work getting the Pioneer XM tuner into a TL. All I had to do was print the pic of your remote installation, hand it to my installer and tell him that's where I want it.

Good work, and thanks for sharing your knowledge with the forum.
If you'd like any specific pictures, let me know now so when I rip everything apart again to put the Blitzsafe adaptor in, I can take them.

I refuse to take pics of my sub installation, tho. Talk about ghetto rigging it...haw
Old 12-21-2002, 08:12 PM
Cruisin'

Does Best Buy do a decent installation? About how much does installation cost? Thanks.
Mike