TL: What to do...what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do...what to do?

Total noob here when it comes to car audio. Here's the situation: Factory CD player is throwing error codes but still have a warranty through CarMax on my 2002 TL-S non-Navi. Not sure if stereo is covered but I was thinking that this would be an opportunity to to get a better system as I read posts here that Acura's HU is not that great. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Kenwood or Pioneer CD/DVD/Receiver with integrated GPS. Just started looking at them but so many.... don't even know where to start. I want to keep the original speakers and sub at this time to save cost but I'm willing to part with the HU and amp. Also, I'm willng to spend to have the unit professionally installed because I'm not inclined to do this myself. Okay to keep this short here's some other info that you can offer opinions on:

1. Retractable video screen vs. single unit type? Photos of any installed on a TL?
2. Risk of theft on aftermarket in-dash DVD/GPS units. Demountable?
3. How good is the GPS compared to say a Garmin Nuvi?
4. Likely a pro installer can connect to the factory Bose sub easily without too much fuss or is that gonna cost me lots?
5. Updateable POI on the GPS?
6. Motorized retractable screen delicate and likely to break with regular use?

These questions are sort of all over the map but like I said I'm just starting to think about this and your opinions will help me narrow down the field. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Double Din is the way to go, looks beautiful. Honestly looks stock.
2. Depends where you live.. lol ghetto not ghetto... and where you drive and leave your car, or in other words its very subjective.
3. Dunno
4. Doubt that it will be expensive. Its not a difficult job. all he'l have to do is run a speaker wire with rca's and a remote wire all to the deck from stock amp.
5.yes
6. Have not heard of anything like that going down.. You will definitely get a warranty with your unit.

IMO: Shop around for Kenwood Double Din, i don't have one yet but as soon as ill gather funds im getting rid of my single din Alpine and upgrading to a Kenwood or a dd Alpine.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
how would the sub sound connected directly from an aftermarket headunit?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerzyboi
how would the sub sound connected directly from an aftermarket headunit?
I read other posts that the sub may not sound that great with aftermarkets cause they are not Bose. As my car is still under warranty, I decided to have the CD player repaired or replaced. As it turns out I won't be playing CDs as much as listening to Pandora over my iPhone. I'll be checking out the DIY to see how to hook up the cable to the aux port on the back of the HU. Does anyone know where I can get that cable?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
DOUBLE DIN... i got a sinlge din now trying to sell.... hahah