What brand is the best for components?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 02:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What brand is the best for components?

I'm looking to upgrade my system but I don't know which brand should I go for. I had heard lot of good things about MB Quartz and Boston Acoustic for components. Does anyone have any suggestion? Thanks for all your advises
Old 02-26-2004, 06:55 AM
Burning Brakes

There are a lot of really good components out there and by asking, you might get a lot of different "best" brands. It really all comes down to personal choice.

I have a set of Boston Pro 6.5 in one vehicle and a set of Diamond M661 in another. I love them both. I think the M661 has got to be one of the best values in a top component set that there is. It is Diamond's second best line and they really shine. They can be had for around $200 brand new. The Boston's will run you closer to $300. Alot depends on your budget as well.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Got a budget? Asking that question is like saying you need a car, what's good?

Are you looking for:

Front speakers
Rear speakers
Subwoofer
amp
Old 02-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I have Focal, I think they are great, and they are quite efficient. That question is vague - cost, size, and more importantly, what do you like? Just listen to some and you will figgure it out.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:47 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the biggest factor when buying components is the type of tweeter material. it's basically made of a fabric (silk) or from metals (neodynium, aluminum). each has pros and cons so listen to see what you like best for the type of music you like. just figure out how many speakers you are replacing and how many of these will be components, set a budget and go audition some. middle or top line models are always good especially if from well known mfrs.

you could also use power matching requirements to narrow down the choices. this is to say get a 50w rms component if you are buying a moderately priced 50w per channel amp. don't buy nice speakers if you only intend on using headunit power. however, there is also the camp where they think you should spend as much as you can of the budget to get the best possible speakers (and get a cheapy amp) is still better than a "50-50" system.

as you can see, this can go on and on. i say just get middle line stuff especially if this is your first system and keep in mind the overall budget for the project.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

I'm willing to pay up to 400 for components for my mids. I had MB Quartz before but they were blown. I don't know is it because the speakers can't handle the power or did I just crank it too loud?
Old 02-26-2004, 05:40 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The reason why 90% of speakers blow is because you actually under power them. I blew multiple componets with only a 50 watt/channel amp. Now my amp is a little over 100 watts/channel and I have NO problems.

If you have components bigger than 5.25 inches, then I would never go below 75 watts/channel, 100/ is better - especially if you listen to it loud at times. When you crank it up and you only have a small amp then the amp clips = shoots out hella distortion and fries your speakers.
If you are willing to spend $400 for speakers, then, listen to Focals. I have heard both Focals and MB Quart - the differences are minimal, I could go eather way.

Just make sure you have some quality sound going to them - 100 watts/channel would be best to avoid underpowering them.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:53 AM
10th Gear

well this may be in left field and I know this post is old but I was looking for reccomendation on component sets because I had the diamond line before and I loved them but I got rid of them and wanted something a lil cheaper.

I ran across ou sig's last comment and I had to laught...that is the biggest crock of ___ that i have ever herd. it is IMPOSSIBLE to blow speakers by underpowering them! Please do a little reading before you post. Speakers blow due to distortion, not underpowering. You more than likely turned the volume up too loud creating distortion. If you have a good headunit to begin with it wouldnt matter but most car-audio head units suck in this department and rely heavily on crossovers and external eq's.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:17 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by parkmead
I'm willing to pay up to 400 for components for my mids. I had MB Quartz before but they were blown. I don't know is it because the speakers can't handle the power or did I just crank it too loud?
You probably clipped your amp.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:20 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by UFmwk
well this may be in left field and I know this post is old but I was looking for reccomendation on component sets because I had the diamond line before and I loved them but I got rid of them and wanted something a lil cheaper.

I ran across ou sig's last comment and I had to laught...that is the biggest crock of ___ that i have ever herd. it is IMPOSSIBLE to blow speakers by underpowering them! Please do a little reading before you post. Speakers blow due to distortion, not underpowering. You more than likely turned the volume up too loud creating distortion. If you have a good headunit to begin with it wouldnt matter but most car-audio head units suck in this department and rely heavily on crossovers and external eq's.
Ease up.

ou sig knows that underpowering per se doesn't blow speakers, but he is referring to the effects that overdriving a small amp can create.

There are many threads on this from the past. Let's not go back there.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

On Topic= I have Elemental Designs components with a bout 200w per ch and man for under $200 you can't beat them. I would put them above any MB Quart and slightly above Boston Z-Ref comps and well ahead of any JL comps (I sell these lines thus being familiar with them). Only thing is you need to really know what you're doing if you're going to put that kind of power on any set of components.

Originally Posted by elduderino
Ease up.

ou sig knows that underpowering per se doesn't blow speakers, but he is referring to the effects that overdriving a small amp can create.

There are many threads on this from the past. Let's not go back there.
And not to hijack, Ken, but i am curious what you would consider a good headunit since I really can't think of any (well that's not true i can think of maybe three, but I want to see what you say).
Old 10-12-2006, 12:34 AM
VP Electricity

Well, I think well of the Eclipse CD5000 - it is a good sounding HU. It really does make 8V, by the way. I hope the 07 model will have better cosmetics.

The Nak 400 breaks too much.

I haven't had any issues with the Sony 605 - 24-bit Burr Browns, 4 volt out.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by UFmwk

YOu have a better chance of blowing a speaker from underpower than over.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Polar Chicken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have diamond componets, and love them. Go listen to speakers that are in your price range as the timber is different between major brands, thus speakers are pretty personal.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:54 AM
Mobile Elec. Guru

Originally Posted by elduderino
Well, I think well of the Eclipse CD5000 - it is a good sounding HU. It really does make 8V, by the way. I hope the 07 model will have better cosmetics.

The Nak 400 breaks too much.

I haven't had any issues with the Sony 605 - 24-bit Burr Browns, 4 volt out.
interesting, not what I expected you to say (well other than Eclipse, but even that wasn't the model i was thinking).

Anyway on a sidenote to the great debate that is raging on here about blowing comps up. A definitive word here: You are more likely to blow something up because it was improperly installed or tuned (this includes under powering and over powering). Basically speaking if you blow anyspeaker it is usually the user's fault, not the speaker.

If you don't have the power to properly play a set of speakers, don't be surprised when you are jamming that new rap stuff, that the speaker just pops and dies. And Vice versa; just because you have 500w's per ch doesn't mean that the speaker can therefore hit 150 db all on a 20 hz tone. I can tell you right now I have to explain to people everyday that they are misusing their speakers and they have only themselves to blame when it blows up.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Racer

I have diamond audio hex s600a's and i love them!
Old 10-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
If I had more power I would live to get the Diamond Hex but only have 75 watts per channel
Old 10-13-2006, 01:48 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i have mb quartz premium and am happy with them. the audio shop i go to now says that they will sound even better if i have one channel from amp going to tweeters and another going to mid range. so i think that will be my next upgrade. i will just need to get a third amp to power my rear door speakers.

they also suggested the big three upgrade which is changing the major ground wires in engine bay.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:52 PM
o-qua tangin wann

Originally Posted by dabusabus1
I have diamond audio hex s600a's and i love them!

Werd, I have the DA hex s500s's cuz i put them in custom kick panels... they sound incredible
Old 11-10-2006, 12:03 AM
10th Gear

It really depends on you ur budget. If you have the money to spend go for some seas lotus. You can only buy a pair and they will be good for your entire car. You only need speakers in the front of you car b/c that is your sound stage. The back speakers are only to fill the gaps. It also depends on. If you like really high highs go with MB Quart or Focal. (like make your ears bleed highs) I have boston pros and I love them. They are perfect for me. Seas Lotus are also good. Pricey but good. But it all reayy depends on your budget and what you like.