What aftermarket Head unit will allow us to use the steeringwheel cntls?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 09:25 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
What aftermarket Head unit will allow us to use the steering wheel cntls?

Has anyone installed an aftermarket Head unit and still able to use the steering wheel controls?

What brands/Models?

I've got the amp, and speakers replaced, and added a Sub. Would LOVE to change out the stock headunit also, but just couldn't live without the steering wheel controls.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:40 PM
One Large Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was at Circuit City tonight looking for the mounting straps for my Bazooka Bass Tubes. While looking around I saw a universal interface for aftermarket head units & factory steering wheel controls (Honda/Acura was listed as an application too).

One catch - your head unit must be IR compatible. Basically (from what I could tell) you use the IR remote to "program" the interface (volume, track skip, station change) to match-up to your steering wheel controls.

Then - like magic, your steering wheel controls are operating your aftermarket head unit!
Old 05-15-2002, 09:52 PM
Seminole Fan

I paid about $60 for something from a company called Peripherial Products. It plugs into the factort steering wheel controls and uses the infrared sensor on my Pioneer head unit to control it. Kind of a pain to hook up but it was worth it.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:48 AM
Turn Signals are good!

Originally posted by Bartman
I was at Circuit City tonight looking for the mounting straps for my Bazooka Bass Tubes. While looking around I saw a universal interface for aftermarket head units & factory steering wheel controls (Honda/Acura was listed as an application too).

One catch - your head unit must be IR compatible. Basically (from what I could tell) you use the IR remote to "program" the interface (volume, track skip, station change) to match-up to your steering wheel controls.

Then - like magic, your steering wheel controls are operating your aftermarket head unit!
these work really good, I cannot remember the brand... but this is the way to go.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:04 PM
Pro

Cool!

Thanks for the info. I think I found a head unit, and believe it would work with the Converter/IR interface you guys are talking about.

If the aftermarket Head Unit has a remote control (literally a remote like you have for the TV) would the interface you are talking about work?

I think I'm going to try to stick with Alpine because my changer is Alpine. Looking at the CDA 7893.

Just curious, does the unit send the signal to the rear of the HU via the original wires? The new stereo IR pickup is in the front of the unit. Was/is it a pain in the ass to hook up? I'm just wondering how this works. It sounds like it is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, I just need to track one down.

Thanks Again!
Old 05-17-2002, 05:12 PM
Seminole Fan

Originally posted by woodek
Cool!

If the aftermarket Head Unit has a remote control (literally a remote like you have for the TV) would the interface you are talking about work?

Just curious, does the unit send the signal to the rear of the HU via the original wires? The new stereo IR pickup is in the front of the unit. Was/is it a pain in the ass to hook up? I'm just wondering how this works. It sounds like it is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, I just need to track one down.

Thanks Again!
It will work with virtually any aftermarket head unit that uses a wireless remote.

The adaptor actually has a tiny infrared sender that you have to mount somewhere in the cab so it can send the commands to the sensor on the radio. I mounted mine near the ashtrash.

Hope this helps
Old 05-17-2002, 05:31 PM
Racer

You can also buy most Pioneer Premier Head Units and buy the steering wheel remote for it. I did. And replaced the stock controls with a remote...
Old 05-20-2002, 10:28 PM
Pro

Thanks for the input.

I need to find the infrared sender you are talking about. Now the search begins. Is there only one company that makes these sender/transmitters? I want to get the sender before I buy the Head unit.

Thx
Old 05-21-2002, 05:19 PM
3rd Gear

I currently own a '98 Accord V6 coupe. I'm in the process of selling it to get an '03 CL-S 6spd. About 2 months ago I put an Alpine 7995 head unit in and paid $90 to have an adapter connected to my steering controls. I had the stereo shop my buddy owns do the install...so I'm not sure whether it was IR or not. All I know is that Alpine is the easiest to connect to the steering controls because the honda stereo components are made by alpine (ie: 6disk trunk changer, harness, etc.). Anyway, works like a charm...and, just so you all know...Bose is NOT as good a quality as we grew up thinking .

If you want a good system, get an Alpine head unit (preferrably MP3 capability), Phoenix Gold or JL amp (new line), and Diamond speakers (very expensive but incredible acoustics for Acura environment).

Old 05-21-2002, 07:29 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by PimpD@ddy
You can also buy most Pioneer Premier Head Units and buy the steering wheel remote for it. I did. And replaced the stock controls with a remote...
do you have pics?