Well call me mr. Dumass

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 01:53 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well call me mr. Dumass

Hey everyone, this is actually my first post. Have been reading for a while and love the forums. Also, I just went to from Upstate SC to Tampa Fl to get my new ride(96 TL) & drove it back, and I absolutely LOVE it. Already came with a few stereo upgrades and already added a few things myself.
And, well, here's the problem; whoever installed the cd player/headunit (pioneer dual din) didn't hook up the ground right. At least thats what I'm assuming. Whenever car is running and a CD is in or the radio is on (basically when the unit is in use) it has a crazy kind of whistling interference on the speakers. Also the whistling is consistent with engine RPM. (gets more high pitch as the RPM go up)
So my question is this; WHAT THE HECK IS IT? Sorry, the noise is driving me insane. :sqnteek: Is it what I think, just a bad ground? If so, could anybody tell me the easiest way to fix the problem? (I'm somewhat stereo equipment illiterate) And if thats not it, what else could it be? Suggestions?
Well enough of my complaining, I love the car too much. But anyways, ALL help is greatly appreciated and will be remembered. Thanks much.
~candywhite96
Old 06-15-2004, 02:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are there subs in the trunk or anything? im also thinking its the wiring.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:55 AM
Finally out of Kentucky

Alternator Whine
Old 06-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Boom goes the Dynamite

Is the noise there when you play CD's? Is the noise there when you listen to the radio? Tell me more about your system, do you have any amps?
Old 06-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Instructor

You're already on the right track candywhite. You probably just have a poor ground on some component of your audio system (HU in your case...doesn't sound like you have an amp or crossover).

A simple test is just to run a temporary ground right to the battery (just use a long, proper gauge wire and run outside the car). >90% chance that the noise will be gone. At that point, you should just find a new ground location somewhere near the HU/dash. The ground should be bare metal (no paint / primer). You should use a ring terminal and star washer to secure it properly. Don't ground it with other circuits if possible. Before putting everything back together, test it running all stock accessories with HU is loosely fitted to the mounting location. Things like HVAC controls, seat heaters, defroster, clocks, etc...can sometimes cause noise. I wouldn't expect problems like this, but its always good to run a quick check before putting everything completely together.

There is a possibility that the HU was improperly connected to the factory Bose EQ/Amp setup...this could also cause problems if done incorrectly. You won't know until you pull out the HU and take a look.

There is a slim chance that it might be your vehicle's electrical system (plug wires, etc...). The probability is very very small though.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:11 AM
10th Gear

Old 06-21-2004, 12:14 AM
10th Gear

Thanks all! I do have amp & crossovers for my kicker door spkrs, but it turned out to be the HU ground(thanks keeena).
~cw96
Old 06-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by candywhite96
Thanks all! I do have amp & crossovers for my kicker door spkrs, but it turned out to be the HU ground(thanks keeena).
~cw96
Yup, usually is. Glad you were able to sort it out...that noise is super annoying.