want a quick fix for your TL sound system - my 2 cent's worth . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 10:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want a quick fix for your TL sound system - my 2 cent's worth . . .

. . . if you are lookng for a major sound improvement for relatively little $$$, then just replace the 4 door spkrs, keep the factory amp and even keep the sub-woofer too. Here's what I did:

I stopped by CC today and bought 2 pairs of Polk EX602a 2-way spkrs for 59 $/pr - with install and hardware, it came out to $210 (save $70 in installation costs by doing it yourself). Granted, these are not top of the line skprs and this is not a very LOUD system or an audiophile's dream, but the improvment in the sound was trememdous!!!

If you're not looking for a very loud system, but want very decent sound quality out of your TL for relatively low $$$ outlay, then this is the way to go! You can decide later on to replace the Bose sub, but for me, the sub blends fairly well the these new Polks and I'm in o real need or hurry to replace it - I'm really happy with the way these polks have improved the sounds in my TLS and I didn't have to replace the HU or buy a new amp, or dismantle anything in the car other than the interior door panels!

2-way

as 2002acuraTL said, and I can confirm this for a fact . . , just wasp out the 4 spkrs!!! I did this today at CC for $210 (including install) by buying 2 pairs of Polk EX602a spkrs for 59 $/pr (i kept the stock amp - works fine!), heck you can easily do the spkr install yourself and save $70 in installation costs - anyway, the system sounds so much better even with the Bose woofer running. Granted, this is not a LOUD system, but it's more than enough for most!
Old 02-09-2002, 10:56 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You are right i went with Infinity components up front and 3 ways in the back and the sound is much better.
Old 02-09-2002, 11:22 PM
Instructor

yea, the polks are pretty good speakers, I have a pair of polk 4" components in the kick panels of my old toyota as well as polk EX502's (5 1/4") in the rear deck all powered off a pioneer 35WX4 head. And it sounds pretty decent. Far better soundstage and tigher bass response than the bose crap in my new TL.

Did you find that replacing the door speakers improved the soundstage and imaging at all? That is my big complaint with the stock system. It plays loud enough for my tastes most of the time, it sounds decently clear, there is just a disapointing lack of focus and spacial definition.

I want to upgrade soon, keeping it as cheap as possible for the moment, ya know those pesky car payments. If I can get away with just replacing the door speakers that would be great, but I figure I'm gonna have to spring for some kick panels. I built my own for the toyota a few years ago, but I'm not going anywhere near the inside of my new car with fiberglass, so it's gonna be a profesional job which prob won't be too cheap.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:40 PM
Intermediate

2002TLSNavi,

Not sure what good soundstage and imaging is really supposed to sound like, but I do know that I like the improvment in th
e sound - that muddy sound is 90% eradicated, the other 10% I think is coming from the bose sub, and it really doesn't bother me at all, if I do another upgrade at all, it will be with the sub
Old 02-10-2002, 01:06 PM
Racer

Hmmmm, you guys have a point there....
Old 02-10-2002, 07:20 PM
Ex TL-S owner

I got Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 components in my car. At 1st I had it w/the factory amp and I wanted to see if I needed to put an aftermarket amp to it. What I found out is that when I had my music up, I couldnt hear my navi command prompts. Also, I felt my rear stock speakers sounded louder than my components. The factory amp didnt supply enough power to my components. So I then installed an amp to it and it sound much, much better! I'm happy w/my decision.
Old 02-10-2002, 09:19 PM
Racer

Hey "CarFreak", do you have problems with installing the perfect 6.1? any modifcations needed, or fits perfectly in the door, did you need the spacers??
Old 02-10-2002, 10:40 PM
Burning Brakes

is it as loud as the factory speakers?
Old 02-11-2002, 07:33 AM
Ex TL-S owner

Originally posted by BlueTL
Hey "CarFreak", do you have problems with installing the perfect 6.1? any modifcations needed, or fits perfectly in the door, did you need the spacers??
Well I didn't install my speakers, but the installer said that he had to do some cutting and add in spacers. The midbass speakers were too deep and some custom work had to be done.

I also put in the tweeters, but I didnt want them to stand out. I got the installer to make a custom bracket and he placed it behind the speaker grill.

This was a long job for them to do and w/labor it came around to $150
Old 02-11-2002, 07:34 AM
Ex TL-S owner

Originally posted by 1999TL
is it as loud as the factory speakers?
If you're talking about my components, I feel that it is louder and much more clearer than the stock bose speakers. The mids and highs are perfect now.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a question. cant we just custom mount 2 6X9s in the rear deck, considering there is so much room left over on the sides of our 9". it wud actually be mad easy to do if u remove the rear deck and then cut it to size and then put it back in. this is... if ur willing to lose ur baby seat latches that r located in the rear deck, but im sure many of u aint baby daddys.
Old 02-12-2002, 02:11 AM
Instructor

I was also wondering if anyone has tried to custom mount 2 6x9's in the rear deck and if it would make a big difference or mess up the sound b/c too much would be comming from the back?
Old 02-16-2002, 11:49 AM
Safety Car

what are our speak sizes again?

I was under the impression they couldn't be replaced without a major upgrade because BOSE had amps in the speakers themselves.....
and were a diff. ohm or some sh!t
Old 02-17-2002, 05:43 AM
...and then there was One

Originally posted by TommyBoiSxty9
what are our speak sizes again?

I was under the impression they couldn't be replaced without a major upgrade because BOSE had amps in the speakers themselves.....
and were a diff. ohm or some sh!t
Bose are 1 Ohm, most others are 4 Ohm. They are powered by an amp under the passenger seat, I believe. The difference in Ohms will mean your system will not be as loud if you replace them with 4 Ohm speakers (they still may be loud enough, though, if you crank it up all the way, which wouldn't hurt the Bose amp. Also, I've heard Bose uses Phoenix Gold amps; cheap ones, but still Phoenix Gold).
Most people have had to add a 'spacer', or 'ring' to the aftermarket speaker to get it to fit in the doors, so it would fit. These can be made of wood, fiber board, or something like that. Some speakers even come shipped with something of the sort in the packaging.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:16 AM
Racer

Cool, thanks for the post ncstatesman, i was toying with the idea of getting some tweeters put into the black triangles besides the mirrors, but just changing out the speakers for good coaxials or makes a lot more sense....
Old 02-18-2002, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
ahh so much to do... so little money hehehee