TSX: Want ipod connection in 05 TSX w/ navi

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:39 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want ipod connection in 05 TSX w/ navi

Hi all,

There is so much talk about integrating ipods into TSXs that I'm getting confused.

I have an 05' TSX w/ navi and 6-disc CD changer. My ideal goal would be to install an iPod dock that I can control through my steering wheel and touchscreen, and that displays ipod information and controls on the touchscreen. I currently have active XM, so if possible I would like to retain that also (though I have a feeling I'm going to have to make a choice).

Does anyone have any suggestions? For those of you who do have something installed and working for you, I would love to see a photo of the navi screen with ipod information up!

Thanks!!
Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Advanced

The one I had in my 05 Accord w/navi worked with the steering wheel controls and displayed everything on the screen. You can still keep your xm working with it also. I don't have any pics of what it looked like but it worked amazingly well, searching through artists and playlists and what not. Now its back in the box, collecting dust in the closet...
Old 08-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Instructor

jjohnsonvet, I've got a USASpec PA15-HON2 piece installed and it will work pretty well for you. I have an 05 TSX with Nav, 6-Disc indash CD changer, and an active XM account. While the ipod is connected (via the XM unit) you'll lose the XM-1 presets which will be used to control the ipod instead. But, as soon as the iPod is undocked, you'll get the XM-1 preset functionality back. Track, Artist and Album info shows up on the NAV screen and you have simple controls via the steering wheels (i.e., just track forward and back and volume control). Charges both my iPod and iPhone 3GS. No more having to make a choice between XM or CD or iPod functionality. You can have it all working just fine.

Just had it done and will have a quick write up with pics posted this weekend when I can get some shots.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Hey jjohnsonvet, I've posted my write up if you're still looking.

Link to my installation review.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear

That is fantastic. I love the Kuda mount! And it does just what I'm looking for. Did you install it yourself or have it professionally done? Can I ask what the total cost was?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 PM
Instructor

I had it installed by a shop, because I thought professional meant professional, but that’s a whole other topic.

To be honest, after seeing everything set up, you can do this whole set up yourself and save yourself the money (really not worth whatever a shop will charge for the install). Almost no tools involved, just need a drill to make holes in the Kuda mount for the mount base of whatever iPod cradle you choose (highly recommend the proclip stuff even though they aren't all that pretty, they do a fantastic job) and a screwdriver to screw it into place as well as the mount/holder itself.

The Kuda mount essentially clips itself in place. No screws or anything attach that. Might need to do some cutting down by the floor panel to get the wire in and get the Kuda unit flush to the side. The USA Spec is plug and play. Don’t even really need to take the radio unit out. Just pull out the first bin under the NAV/radio (literally just pulls right out) reach back and unplug the radio connection, plug in the USA Spec module as shown in the instructions (the shop I went to didn’t even get that right the first time), plug back into the radio unit and you’re done. Pretty simple.

You can price the KUDA mount on their website, the PA15-HON2 unit retails, I believe for $159 and you can pick it up from Crutchfield or from USA Spec directly if you call. And the proclip version I got, holds the USA Spec cable in place that allows for easy connect and disconnect from the holder.

Last edited by sergeremi; 08-31-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:05 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

This has been discussed many times... The iSimple will allow you to integrate your iPod in your '05 Nav TSX, allow you to keep XM fully functioning (i.e. you can toggle between all of your stereo functions including XM versus losing it with the USASpec), display track info, have steering wheel control, and allow you to add another audio source as well.

I've had 4 different adapters in my car... the USASpec is ok, but nothing beats the iSimple in my opinion. As Serg noted, install is ridiculously easy... no need to get it "professionally" installed. Connecting to the headunit would take you 5 minutes. You'd spend more time deciding what cradle you want to mount on the KUDA.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Advanced

i myself have an isimple i got it a little before the iphone 3g came out so it stopped charging. did anyone find a way to bypass that btw? i havent been up to date for awhile. Also just recently i changed my phone to a blackberry bold i was wondering if there is anyway to get my bold playing through the car speakers i noticed there was an usb cord on the isimple module as well. if anyone can help me out with this i would appreciate it.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
@nycxtsx05
There are two ways to fix the charging problem. First is the Scosche Passport
http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1667
This connects between the Ipod cable and your Ipod/Iphone. It works fine, but adds to the length of the Ipod.
The second way is to replace the Isimple-Ipod cable. Available from Crutchfiled
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541PODC...e&ssi=0&tp=122

(The reason for the charging problem is that Apple changed from Firewire charging to USB charging.)

That USB connector on the Isimple/Peripheral gateway box isn't for connecting an Ipod or other device. To the best of my knowledge it can only be used for updating the firmware.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Advanced

icic thanks thats gonna be useful for when i upgrade my phone to the iphone 3gs
But there is no way at all to have my blackberry bold play through my car speakers ??
i knew i shouldnt have traded my 3g
well even without the use of the isimple would there be any other way???
Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

^^^nyc... the iSimple also has an extra set of aux inputs, so you could get a 3.5mm jack to RCA jack adapter, and play your Bold through the stereo system that way. You'd also be able to keep your iPod connected at the same time.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
To use the extra (3.5mm jack input) put the Isimple on AUX2. Use the Blackberry to choose the music (since the radio/steering wheel controls don't work on AUX2).

I would also note that AUX1 plays the audio from the device connected to the Ipod cable (Ipod/Iphone) but the radio/steering wheel controls are inoperative. Use the Ipod/Iphone itself to choose music.