Very tough week for me.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 07:02 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very tough week for me.....

I got most of my new gear installed...I was quasi happy with the sound. I still have to replace the 5.25 chameleon fronts with the massive 6.5s I have sitting on my workbench.

Well, it gets even uglier, I broke things off with my SO and am currently at my brother's house to see what's going on here on the boards. I haven't got my new place hooked up with cable modem capabilities and my laptop refuses to link to this board via dialup. I don't know which is more painful?!

Anyways, on to the other issues. My JBL BP1200.1 turned my two IDQ 12s into paperweights. I don't blame anyone other than myself for this. I should have set the gains much lower on the amp than I did and I should have spent more time tweaking the system than I did. Guess what? I didn't and I now have two 12" IDQ subs that are completely shot. Have you ever smelled the burned smell of a shot woofer? It's not a pretty smell...I can attest to that first hand.

I would still like to keep a full ID system so plan to get my hands on an IDMAX 12" sub. For the two days my one IDQ 12 withstood the 1200W onslaught of the JBL amp, I realized that one 12 is all that I need.

I have sold the THREE.1 eq and will be replacing it with an Alpine ERE-G180 EQ. At least the Alpine EQ will offer quite a bit more control over my system than the AC unit did. I don't feel that the line driving abilities of the THREE.1 are a good thing. Granted, you can keep the gains turned WAY down on the amp, but if you're not vigilant about setting it properly, count on a potential set of paperweights.

Anyways, the only other woofs I see as a potential replacement are the Kicker L5/L7 line.

If you had 1200W to power a single sub and demand SQ as well as SPL would you choose the Kicker or the IDMAX...or something else?

I won't have my internet capabilities turned on until Friday, so my responses may take some time.

All opinions will be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 04-29-2003, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
idmax all the way...
Old 04-29-2003, 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

idmax or the jl w7. sorry to hear things are going rough for you. good luck with it all.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Idmax is the way to go. If I had the power thats the sub I would get. Now as I listen and read more and more about systems I understand the cleanness of a woofer. Before I go to UF I wann upgrade my amps to Eclipse or Diamond Auios. Just look at all the facts and they are so clean. I am a big alpine freak, but I guess its just the name I love. And same with Kicker.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Before I go to UF I might wanna improve my typin and sentence structure
Old 04-29-2003, 10:03 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Both subs fried at the same time? How did you have them connected to the amp?
To add some others,
Adire Brahma
Resonant Engineering XXX
Elemental Designs A12

Remember, power handling ratings are only ratings. The actual amount of power your subs can take before exceeding their excursion limits is dependent on your box size and signal being fed them.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

hey bozz...sorry to hear about ur probs...i dont know the details of ur relationship, but maybe it's for the best. my wife left me back in october. she thought she could do better w/out me. well, the b!tch was trying to crawl her way back into my life and the house 5 mths later. of course i didnt take her back, she left ME, remember... anyway, sometimes ya have to ride the storm to see the calm days ahead.

as for the idq...yeh, i could have told ya that they wouldnt see the light of day for long w/that amp. i used to have two idq 10's and they didnt do too well w/loads of power even in sealed .66cf boxes...plus my roommate killed 2 older 15 L7's w/the kx1200.1 so yeh, im familiar w/that smell as well. nothing like the smell of baked vc in the morning to ruin ur day, jej.

im not sure about the price difference, but if you want the best choice w/cust svc to back it up, id say idmax. at least they have rock solid cs and can get u that sub replaced quickly. if there is time to spare, in the event of failure, then id go w/the brahma. but ive heard alot of stories about it taking months to get the sub replaced due to backorders when it fails. i dont know about the xxx but ive heard good things about ED's cs as well. if i knew his email, id point u to stephen aka regal from the caf forum since he's a ED rep...

hope all goes well...
Old 04-30-2003, 09:09 AM
Racer

Before I go to UF I might wanna improve my typin and sentence structure

dont worry man, down there they wont give a shlt if you can type or form a sentence. just have a visor and a a$$-ugly orange shirt and you'll do just fine....

hehe
Old 05-04-2003, 03:43 PM
Racer

Thanks all for your input.

I'm back in my house and am finally reconnected to the world.

I just dropped some major coin on new living room/bedroom furniture as well as a 56" TV. I guess I needed to "celebrate" my newfound loneliness.

Anyway, I have pretty much decided on the IDMax simply because I love ID products. I didn't fry both woofs at the same time. The left one died first, so like a dip$hit I connected the right one (in a 2 ohm load) to the amp to get me through. It was fine until I turned the volume up....then nothing.

This was my mistake and I understand I will have to pay for it.

I plan to use a single 12" IDMax configured to provide a 4 ohm load to the JBL BP1200.1. I'm guessing it will receive ~650W in that configuration. To be honest, I wish I hadn't bought the amp. It is WAY more power than I need. The damn deal was so sweet though......

Thanks again for all of your help!!