Upgrading 04/tl/NAV NEW HU + AMPS ETC

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading 04/tl/NAV NEW HU + AMPS ETC

Yes the stock sound system sounds fairly good, however i have some of the best equipment money can buy, and I would like to use it. Rather than watch it occupy space in my garage.
Has anyone replaced the aftermarket unit. I know im going to lose the voice activated radio controls, but I hope thats all I lose.

I have the alpine F#1 status combo, and I would like to take out the stock unit. No one i know makes a kit yet, does anyone have the pinouts for the stock radio and all that jazz?
Anyone done this yet, or am i going to be going into new uncharted sonic areas all by my lonesome.

If you're curious, i'm going to be using rainbow platinums, and a pair of c7s and a 10w7 to start.

nes
Old 06-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You are going to lose more than that. You will also lose the in-dash changer, dvd-a, xm radio, and steering wheel controls. That is too much for me to lose just to swap out HU's. What is the main reason for wanting to do this?
Old 06-13-2004, 07:00 PM
Team Anthracite Member

The alpine F1 system is an amazingly powerful audio system that combines a multimedia switch, eq, an incredible crossover, and DVD system. It's a great system but not worth ditching the factory unit. I'm going the same route except keeping the factory headunit and running LOC to tube driver amps and then on to dynaudio components and focal coaxials. In all honesty you lose sooo much by taking out the factory unit.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Cruisin'

Do IT!

I havent been fortunate enough to hear the F#1 system, only read about it. For that kind of money though I would hate to see you sell it. If I were you take it to a high end audio installer. I live down in Florida and I go to a store called Sound Advice, these guys are damn good and can rig anything up, besides, no offense but if you just drop that much on the system then whats another 2-300 to get it installed by a pro.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:40 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I have all I can say is !!! It was paired up with 2 tube driver amps, a 3-way dynaudio setup, 4" alpine component center channel, and 2 focal subs powered by a JL 1000/1. This was all in a 2002 G35. It was the tightest, best sounding system I have ever heard, hands down. Believe you me I have heard my fair share of good systems. The F1 system is amazing, but I still can't see losing all that functionality for the F1 system
Old 06-18-2004, 06:17 PM
Cruisin'

heh, well i think all im going to loose is voice control of audio functions, and the only time i ever use that is to say xm channel 81...
which is a small price to pay for placing an amazing system in my car.
I might get the dvd-a version of the f#1 system but i haven't been able to get pricing info for the processor.

If i could get the set for 5k i think i would do it.
but we'll see.

i'll update you guys when i get some stuff done. I might sell my ubber expensive amps, to switch to the new f#1 gear.

nes
Old 06-21-2004, 07:07 AM
My baby's daddy

Originally Posted by tlguy99
The alpine F1 system is an amazingly powerful audio system that combines a multimedia switch, eq, an incredible crossover, and DVD system. It's a great system but not worth ditching the factory unit. I'm going the same route except keeping the factory headunit and running LOC to tube driver amps and then on to dynaudio components and focal coaxials. In all honesty you lose sooo much by taking out the factory unit.
tube amps in a car?! I didn' know this was available. How do you keep the tubes from failing due to road vibration? Who makes such a thing?

anyhow, sounds interesting
Old 06-22-2004, 05:23 PM
5th Gear

I just modified the stock system in my 04 TL. I added three loc's along with a set of MBQuart QSD 216 6 1/2 components in the front and a set of MBQuart DKE 116 6 1/2 coaxial's in the rear. I also installed a pair of 12" kicker comp vr's in sealed enclosure. The entire system is bing powered by a Memphis mc600d which is 5 channel amp and a Clarion mcd360 crossover. You won't believe the difference that this has made. I still have 5.1 dvd-a but with much better sound quaility. I think this is the best way to go since you will have the improved sound while not compromising the car too much. I had it all professionally installed.

Just one mans opinion.