Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrade questions

This is more or less just a research question. I am semi-pleased with the bose system (when I say semi i mean it's better than most stock systems, but not that great in the grander scheme of things) but I honestly unfullfilled by the SQ and "thickness of the sound. I tought about doing the DX6 project, but with availability and messing with eq bypasses and what not, i'm a little hesitant.

What I would like to do is just a simple upgrade keeping the factory HU and using the the amps and Crossover I already have (Clarion APX400.4 and 200.2 and JBL GTX-47 w/Imaging enhancer) and then change out the factory speakers. I'm not trying to really go all out on a system and I want to retain as much if not all my trunk space, minimize cutting, make it so i can return the car to complete stock form if and when i decide to sell it and keep it affordable.

My questions are what if any problems am I likely to run into? are there any suggestions on stuff I should look at? is what I want to do actually feasible? I am fairly knowledgeable on car audio installation stuff, but i really know nothing about how the TL is wired (I have a 99 TL-P if that makes a difference).

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 03-27-2003, 06:56 AM
Burning Brakes

About the only major problem will be in deciding how to get the signal to the amps. You can either tap the head pre eq or do a eq bypass. Do a search on eq bypass and you should find all the info you need. Both ways will work. There are good and bad about both.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:39 PM
Team Anthracite Member

If you are near a Circuit City store, they do great work on our cars. I had absolutely NO trunk in my 2000 tl, and I made it a point to keep the trunk in this one. They tapped the head unit, and put in a set of Polk EX3560's in the front doors, and the polk 61/2's in the rear doors. I drive them with an Alpine V12 amp that gives each speaker 75 watts, and the sound quality is outstanding . I put the tweeters in the black plastic area right where the front door windows end, and they not only look decent, but give pretty good sound placement as well. For Bass, I picked up one of the new Polk MOMO 12's,( only 300 bucks up here in Mass....and it looks far more expensive than it actually is) and it has a really small sealed enclosure........( meaning we keep a really BIG amount of trunk space)...........and I give it 300 watts from a JBL mono amp. A capacitor and the very best monster cables are included along with installation, all extended warranties, and a price of only 2100. Not bad for a really clean sounding system with plenty of punch for the average driver. I centered the sub, and put the speaker and bass amps on either side........and the cap is on the floor in front of the bass amp.

I have lost only about 18 inches of trunk space, so it is a lot better than a big box with the amps taking up the rest of the floor area. It takes about 8 hours, maybe ten with dynamatting, and I have yet to experience a problem with the wiring, reliability, etc. You won't blow yourself out of the car with it, but you will definitely be happy with the bang for the buck factor.