Updated pics of my center channel attempt

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Updated pics of my center channel attempt

Ok guys-

I've gotten mixed feedback on this design...and I appreciate the honesty! I'm not sold on the way it looks but I'm torn because it sounds really, really good. So I posted some pics of it in progress and I don't think it gave a good impression of how it was going to look finished...

http://members.cox.net/harrjar/pics.html

There are the pics of the finished product. I have some other designs I can try but I don't think I'll do anything soon. Let me know what you think of it though. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

it doesnt look all that great but if the sound is good, shit i say good job!! its def a cool idea. im sure once u clean it up and have the final touches put on it, it will look great.

i LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE your trunk setup. thats the EXACT thing i wanted to do. i had a box but i need the trunk space. did you do that yourself or did you have it done for you?! do u think a JL W6 would work in that space?
Old 03-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to say I'm not really digging the center channel - the foam lining kinda kills it for me. I know what you mean about the glass pulling, my first (and so far only) glass sub box warped a bit too on drying and the fitment is less than stellar (calls for a redo). But, I'm not hating the overall design, actually, I'd argue that it needs to be a bit bigger - the base in any event. At least in the pics, the base looks squarish, i.e. it meets the dash at near 90 degree angles for the most part. If the base were bigger, followed the contours of the dash a bit more, it might not seem to stand out so much. But of course, if you dig it, to hell with the opinions of others.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Intermediate

NYZGREATST-Thanks for the feedback on the center channel, I think I'm going to try another design but this will work for a little while. As for the trunk, thanks for the kudos. Yeah, I did the whole install myself. Yes a w6 (I assume no bigger than a 12") would def fit in that area...there is tons of volume to be had in that area.

Spoon-Yeah, the weatherstripping is an odd looking material under the flash. It just looks black during the day but the flash makes it look silvery and it really clashes with the vinyl. The thing didn't cost me much so I think I might try another design. I could glass a larger portion of the dash, maybe even behind the instrument cluster a little and perhaps the lines would flow better. If I move the speakers farther forward, I'd be able to keep the hight of the enclosure lower as well.

Thanks again for the feedback guys! I'll post more pics when I try again.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:48 AM
El Presidente

If it sounds good, than keep it! i think with a lil more fit n finish it would look pretty clean! Trunk looks wikid as well man
Old 03-11-2006, 01:18 AM
Senior Moderator

If I were to do it I would attempt something where the sunglass holder is or where the ashtray is or between the heated seats. Something a little more hidden BUT is it sounds good then keep it.. Plus I'm sure pictures really don't give it justice..

Props for the idea and finished product for sure.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Thank you for the comments guys!

Jonesi, can you suggest some decent speakers small enough to fit in those areas? I did think about the area between the heated seat buttons...would only be one speaker...need one small enough.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:32 PM
98 2.3cl

I've never herad this speaker- but If you were willing to move your screen up this center channel from Alpine (http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=SBS-05DC) below the indash would be the route I would take. I'm not digging the dashpod.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:46 PM
98 2.3cl

I just remembered that Clarion made a half-din amplified center channel- This would allow you to keep your screen lower for your climate controls. I haven't heard this one either- so I cant vouch for its performance- but it's somethin for you to think about. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Clarion-SRK5...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the idea. But the foam does stick out a bit and you definately need speaker covers. If you could some how make it shorter(by about an inch or 2), conceal the foam and add some speaker incognita spaeker covers. it would be hot! Good job anyway.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:07 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Your dash has a tumor. It might be cancerous. Better have a doctor look at it.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

After reading the "not so great" comments, I then went and looked at the pic, and I think it's a pretty good job for a do-it-yourself job! I think the flash photography casts some harsh light, and it probably looks better in person.

(Set the camera on a tripod and turn the flash off, and see if you can't get a better pic!)
Old 03-12-2006, 02:28 AM
Senior Moderator

It's a excellent and innovative idea,, If you could lose the 1/2" at the bottom of it and make make the design blend a little more with the design and lines of the interior you'b golden..

I'd look into the sunglass holder. If you removed it I think you'd be suprised how much room you'd have to work with.. Or you could try the area between the heated seat buttins / ashtray
Old 03-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Intermediate

Thought about the DIN and 1/2 DIN solutions but it would force me to move my screen up...I really like the way it fits now since it doesn't block my climate control screen/knobs

ok, so if I put the thing above my HU, then the speaker fires into the back for the screen so that doesn't work either...

I think I have a good design after the feedback you guys gave me. I think I can fix the points that most of you are citing as being the bad points.

Tumerechtomy in progress
Old 03-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
When I had my CL...I put a 3.5" center channel in the coin holder between the seat heater buttons....it sounded really good, and you couldn't see anything.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

Nicky Pass - Any pics? I've been thinking about how to fit the speaker there...
Old 03-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Burning Brakes

I could just about stuff a speaker into my Prelude's dash A/C vents (although, I was not satisfied with the sound in general and yanked it out after a short time). I'd be tempted to try that again with my TSX, but it looks like it would be a lot harder to get in there...

Anyway, location-wise, that would seem to be ideal...