TSX/iPod: How much space behind "Not an Ashtray"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 01:30 AM
CDR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX/iPod: How much space behind "Not an Ashtray"?

I'm planning the installation of my new color iPod photo 30GB into my TSX, using an ice>Link as the audio and control link into the system. I plan to mount the iPod by the console so I can use the click wheel and screen, but be able to unlatch it and hide the iPod (w cable still attached) in a console compartment when I'm not in the car.

One idea: take out the "Not an Ashtray" and put a deeper plastic rectangular cup in it's place so that I can drop the iPod in vertically. The iPod is roughly the size of a deck of cards, 0.7 x 2.5 x 4 inches in a silicone skin case.

For those who have already disassembled the console during installations ... how much open space is behind and below the "not an ashtray"? Any major obstructions, like metal bars or other electronics?

Thanks,
Craig
Old 03-17-2005, 06:27 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
Some people have actually cut a hole the size of the MP3 player in the Not an Ashtray area to get it in.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Not much space behing the Not An Ashtray bin. I ran my ICElink through the tranny tunnel (the console was a 8itch to get unsnapped) into the center console compartment (ran iPod wire through 12V outlet opening in console). This way I can have iPod setting in cupholder or hidden in console. BTW, when you setup your ICElink you may prefer to use the iPod interface vs the ICElink interface.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:23 PM
honk not beep

Originally Posted by CDR
I'm planning the installation of my new color iPod photo 30GB into my TSX, using an ice>Link as the audio and control link into the system. I plan to mount the iPod by the console so I can use the click wheel and screen, but be able to unlatch it and hide the iPod (w cable still attached) in a console compartment when I'm not in the car.

One idea: take out the "Not an Ashtray" and put a deeper plastic rectangular cup in it's place so that I can drop the iPod in vertically. The iPod is roughly the size of a deck of cards, 0.7 x 2.5 x 4 inches in a silicone skin case.

For those who have already disassembled the console during installations ... how much open space is behind and below the "not an ashtray"? Any major obstructions, like metal bars or other electronics?

Thanks,
Craig
yo cdr, i did the same thing you were talkign about.. its in this thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/alternative-ipod-mount-take-2-a-292116/
Old 03-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have the Ipod hooked up to the icelink, can you still use the standard Ipod controls?

I don't have an icelink myself, so I'm not sure about this, and thought I should mention it.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:48 PM
CDR
Instructor

Thanks for the responses!

palidanx:
Very helpful link and pictures, looks like lots of work. I don't plan to use the Dension cradle, just the dock cable, so I'd have a little easier time. Seems like the iPod alone does fit (with the not-an-ashtray removed or with a hole in it).

I plan to use the iPod in the open, and only storing it in the console for safekeeping. Given the apparent difficulty, I think I'll start off just keeping the iPod in the center CD-size cubby to start and only do the not-an-ashtray mod if I run out of space too often.

Tsx536:
Yes, the ice>Link has a mode where you can continue to use the iPod click wheel controls and screen. This is how I expect to use it.

There's another mode ("Dension UI") where you can access playlists through the head unit, but can't use the click wheel. Based on a review on this site, it doesn't work very well with the buttons available on the TSX HU. Dension has posted their installation and user guides on their site.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

i've got a similar question:

how much space is there behind the "not an ashtray," but low down?

this is what i want to do. does anyone know if it's possible?

it would need room also for the dock connector to have the usa_spec plug plugged into it. and i'd like for it to be able to be pulled out easily (and put back in, of course).

since i've got the usa_spec, i don't need the ipod's controls while i'm driving, but before i go, i like to set up what it is that'll be playing