TSX CD changer sensitive to certain CD's??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
TSX CD changer sensitive to certain CD's??

Just popped a couple of CD-R's with some burned music tracks, CD's are clean, but they are skipping and popping a lot, including entire songs not being played. Funny thing is they play fine in my Mazda6, but not the TSX...the CD's are HP branded. Any help guys???
Old 11-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a problem with Staples brand CDs. I grabbed a pack one day on my way up to the register, hoping they'd be ok....they weren't. I brought them to work and let everyone use them for data purposes and bought a new pack of Maxell or some other more known brand for my music. I guess all CDs aren't created equal afterall.

Switch brands and see if the problem persists.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Registered Type-S Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had exactly same problem too, with HP CD-Rs, my resolution was to try using different burner, and it works fine, not sure if it's the burner issue or the CD changer issue or the CD, but it worked using different burner~

piece~
Old 11-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maxell works fine in my 04
Old 11-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by congo
i had exactly same problem too, with HP CD-Rs, my resolution was to try using different burner, and it works fine, not sure if it's the burner issue or the CD changer issue or the CD, but it worked using different burner~

piece~
hmmn...yeah i burned them in my laptop...u tried the CD's in another car?
Old 11-03-2006, 04:04 AM
gistered User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Occasionally, I get a 'disc error' on my '05 OEM changer with Maxell CD-Rs encoded as AIFF files (itunes). If I skip forward 5-6 tracks, then, the disc will play. Skip back to track 1 to play from beginning. Commercial CDs are fine.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

Hello Forums!

this is an interesting point you have made and i would like to share my recent experience and hope no one else has the same:

just bought an 04 TSX and its great. Listened to the FM for a few days so i could "listen more to the car" and enjoy the driving. After a few days the "new car syndrome" somewhat left so i was ready to jam to some of my cds and just drive normal. So, i put in a burned cd and i get an error. okay so i put in another burned cd and it starts to play, eventually getting sketchy and skipping at some points. fine maybe the cd is somewhat scratched but then everything quit and i hear low "pops and fizzing" noises from the console (amp) and nothing after that. Of course i took it to the dealer and they did the whole check every speaker deal and found that the person who had it before put a componet system in it (Infinity Reference) and decided they would not replace the amp because of that. But here is my question:

Could it really have been the speakers that did blew the amp (maybe required too much power?) or was i the fact i tried to play burned cds?

i dont get it because so many people here have switched their speakers out for aftermarket so i dont understand how this could be exclusive to me. anyway if anyone has any ideas....please advise...otherwise here is a heads up...beware of burned cds(?)
Ryan
Old 11-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

Just a comment on CD-Rs.

Most "brands" all use one of maybe 3 or 4 manufacturers. The most common is CMC-Magnetics and are easily identified when you look at the box, or the spindle wrapping near the bottom of what ever label is there and it says "Made In Taiwan". Standard Maxell, Memorex, Fuji, TDK, PNY, Imation and almost every other "store brand" like Office Depot or Staples are really made by CMC-Magnetics. So chances are, just switching brands doesn't mean you're really getting another CD-R type.

I've never had good luck with CMC-Magnetics except for some several years ago when they were only at 8x.

Unless you go out of your way to look for Mitsu Gold online, the best brand I've found and play great in my TSX and every other player I've ever had, old and new, are made by Taiyo Yuden in Japan. There are some mainstream brands that use TYs and are only identifiable by the "Made in Japan" mark on the label. Fuji used to be made by TY, but they've been replace more recently by the Taiwanese manufacturer and those suck. So you have to hunt for them. The Maxell Pro line (can be found at Office Depot) has used strictly TY blanks so far.

I use Maxell Pro for regular "for the car" burns, and inkjet printable Taiyo Yuden blanks bought from Newegg.com for more "presentable" cd copies of things I might do such as vinyl “needle-drops” from my LPs. TYs are also different in that the clear hub in the middle is actually frosted.

A word of warning when using TYs in the car - because of the dye used, they are more susceptible to degrading in direct sunlight. You can't just stick these discs in that CD storage thing that slips on the sun visor that you might flip around and directly expose it to the sun all day long. I haven't had any problems with heat/cold conditions (I'm in south Louisiana so heat is the main problem in summer), but I keep my stash out of sunlight in the center console bin and that storage bin under the HU.

Last edited by jakesdad; 11-15-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Intermediate

BTW, it also helps to burn at about half the highest speed your burner can burn when doing audio cds. For these more recent 48x and 52x burners, it's best to try at about 24x or so.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Instructor

i have this problem with my 06 but i never had any problem with my 05. right now after i burned a cd and put it in my 06, it will not read and give a disc error. eject the disc and put it back in and it reads fine. this happens to almost all of my burned cds. it will not read at first but then it will on second attempt.