Trunk Rattle!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 11:20 AM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Trunk Rattle!!!

I just had my system installed a couple days ago, and I'm happy with the sound inside of the car. Outside, however, is a completely different matter. There is TONS of trunk rattle, when the volume isn't even up to mid-level (about 7 bars on the Bose HU).

I believe the very lip of the top portion of the trunk is vibrating against the metal portion that it lays against.

Anybody else with subs notice this prob? And do you have a quick-fix solution?

I guess I could go spray dynamat on the edge, but thats kinda my last resort, and I'm not even sure that will work.
Old 08-25-2001, 11:39 AM
Ex TL-S owner

I had a rattle and it was from my license plate. I glued pieces of rubber behind the plate and it absorbes the vibrations. Now I have no rattles at all.

How many watts are you pushing?
Old 08-25-2001, 12:02 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

1000w rms.. but again, the volume isn't even up very high when the rattle becomes apparent. I also noticed the license plate rattle, and removed it, only to notice the trunk lip rattle...
Old 08-25-2001, 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

I'm pushing about 200 watts RMS on mine but when I put it up to about 7 bars the Trunk will rattle also. As far as my license plates, I had Ron put some weather strips behind it and it doesn't really vibrate anymore till I really crank up the volume.

The trunk you just gotta fill it and it won't rattle as much. It will rattle nomatter what.
Old 08-26-2001, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Trunk Rattle!!!

Originally posted by my2sense
I believe the very lip of the top portion of the trunk is vibrating against the metal portion that it lays against.

Anybody else with subs notice this prob? And do you have a quick-fix solution?
You're right! It's the latch on the decklid (where it attaches when it's closed). If you put something there the trunk might not pop when you open it.
I also removed the interior lining of the decklid and put lots of foam between the trunk panels (inside of the ACURA logo on the decklid) - that helped a lot! I think I'm gonna go down to the garage and try some teflon tape on the metal bar that latches the trunk and see if that works.
Old 08-27-2001, 01:28 AM
Racer

Re: Re: Trunk Rattle!!!

Originally posted by TL Daddy

You're right! It's the latch on the decklid (where it attaches when it's closed). If you put something there the trunk might not pop when you open it.
I also removed the interior lining of the decklid and put lots of foam between the trunk panels (inside of the ACURA logo on the decklid) - that helped a lot! I think I'm gonna go down to the garage and try some teflon tape on the metal bar that latches the trunk and see if that works.
I filled the hollow parts behind the Acura symbols and extreme dynomat my trunk but it still rattles I use a double sided tape on the plates. that solve the problem on my plates

Mr.T
Old 08-27-2001, 11:40 AM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

so how did that teflon tape on the metal latch work out?