System question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:06 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
System question

I decided to go with XR650-CXi coaxials in both the front and rear doors powered by a 4 channel JL audio amp. Then I added a 10" sub in the trunk powered by a separate JL audio amp.

I insisted I would not need a cleansweep, however the 2 expert intallers I talked to assured me that i would, so I gave in.

Do you think I got taken by these guys, or is this a good price?

2 pairs of JL audio coaxials - $740
JL cleansweep - $299
JL audio A4300 4Ch amp - $339
JL audio mono A1400D - $399
4GA Custom amp wiring kit - $99
JL audio 10" W3 sub - $239
Total minus $300 plus installation fee = $2259
Old 11-20-2006, 01:39 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Oddeye
I decided to go with XR650-CXi coaxials in both the front and rear doors powered by a 4 channel JL audio amp. Then I added a 10" sub in the trunk powered by a separate JL audio amp.

I insisted I would not need a cleansweep, however the 2 expert intallers I talked to assured me that i would, so I gave in.

Do you think I got taken by these guys, or is this a good price?

2 pairs of JL audio coaxials - $740
JL cleansweep - $299
JL audio A4300 4Ch amp - $339
JL audio mono A1400D - $399
4GA Custom amp wiring kit - $99
JL audio 10" W3 sub - $239
Total minus $300 plus installation fee = $2259
this is for a 06 TSX. Anyone done something similar?
Old 11-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Instructor

The clean sweep is not needed on the TSX, the head unit's outputs are not equalized and can be ran directly into your amps. I have an 05 using all JL equipment like you other than an eq I added just so I could tweak the system. I have JL XR components up front, XR Coaxials in the rear, 1 12w3v2 in a fiberglass box, JL e6450 amp and a Clarion 746 eq in the center arm rest. I spent around $1300 which includes the parts, materials, wires and shipping and taxes. Do it yourself if you can or maybe try to get him to go lower on the price. Some of the prices seem high even for a shop to charge. I bought my sub at a local shop for 190 out the door and if you go to parts express you can get a 4 gauge Streetwires amp kit for $40.00 and still have money left to get nice Streetwires Zero noise RCA's.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:38 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
They're not experts. And you should have printed up the instructions from this forum and taken them in.

Give me $299.

Come on.

Gimme.

Come ON.

(Let me know when you're going to give in, k?)

I think that for $2200, you could have a far better sounding system than that, honestly.

Here's what we would do, for instance:

DLS UP6 (great reviews by many on this forum)

DLS Ultimate A5 3-channel amplifier (Ultimate amps have won IASCA SQ contests)

DLS Iridium 10" sub in our fiberglass enclosure. (Ditto)

Fader works as a sub bass level control.

Another system would be DLS PS6A comps, DLS CA41 4-channel, CA21 for bass, Zapco I-10 sub, and DLS 426 coaxes, installed.

Either of those for $2200. But the first one would SPANK the second one in terms of SQ and and low bass performance.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:19 PM
6th Gear

Okay so after listening to the system for a week I am extremely disatisfied.....For songs with base the sub drounds everything out with lows. I am still not getting the mid base that I thought the XRs were so good at delivering...and from what I gather, the way the factory headunit is setup, the base outs go directly to the sub, and the door speakers don't get any low frequencies.....

And yes I have adjusted the gain on the mono all the way down, but the base still drowns all other fequencies out...

After spending over $2000 on this setup (most likely overpaid) you can see how disatisfied I am.

Oh and there was a bad vibration coming from my right front door and i took it back to the installers to have them take a look at it. They said there was nothing I could do, and that it would go away once the speakers were broken in???! BS

Please!, any suggestions on how I can modify my system to get more mid bass, and decrease the low base would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:27 PM
6th Gear

base= bass in the above thread......need some sleep
Old 11-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Yes, the signals after the factory amp to the door speakers are high pass, not sure of the frequency but its high, probably in the 120-150 range since when I first put in new door speakers on the factory amp, no mid bass. You need to make sure the installers used the preamp signals from the head unit to the factory amp to feed the Cleansweep. If they didn't, that explains alot. Also check the crossover settings on your amp, maybe they have them set high. Set the front doors around 80 and the rear doors at 100, sub around 70-80HZ. As for the rattle in the door, that's not going to go away as the speakers break in. Sounds like you should have had the doors dynamatted and also could be a sloppy install since they had to make spacers to fit the new speakers and the spacers could be rattling on the metal door.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:13 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dizzy1
Yes, the signals after the factory amp to the door speakers are high pass, not sure of the frequency but its high, probably in the 120-150 range since when I first put in new door speakers on the factory amp, no mid bass. You need to make sure the installers used the preamp signals from the head unit to the factory amp to feed the Cleansweep. If they didn't, that explains alot. Also check the crossover settings on your amp, maybe they have them set high. Set the front doors around 80 and the rear doors at 100, sub around 70-80HZ. As for the rattle in the door, that's not going to go away as the speakers break in. Sounds like you should have had the doors dynamatted and also could be a sloppy install since they had to make spacers to fit the new speakers and the spacers could be rattling on the metal door.

Thank you very much for the heads-up, but it still sounds pretty bad...It actually sounds pretty distorted now...What could these guys have done wrong? When I bring my car back a third time, what should i ask them? Could they have wired the speakers wrong? Do you think its possible for me to get my money back at this point?