system configuration question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 10:18 PM
6 speedin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
system configuration question

With my current setup I have two 4 guage power cables each going to a monster fuse holder with a 60 amp fuse and then one to my JL Audio 500/1 and the other to my Xtant 4004. I am redoing my system right and am going to run 1-2 guage wire to a Monster Fuse holder with a 150 amp fuse and then to a distribution block. From the distribution block I am going to a cap and then to my JL 500/1. From the other connection on the distribution block i am going to my Xtant amp.

My question is do I need any more fuse holders on the side of my distribution block or will my original 150 amp fuse by the battery be all I need. Neither amp has fuses built in?

Also, I have been told to put the cap in front of the sub amp because it draws the most power. Is this correct or should it be in front of the distribution block?
Old 05-07-2003, 12:00 AM
Sweet as Gold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ALWAYS put the cap in front of the sub amp . I got a three farad cap and can't wait to install it (in front of the sub amp)...hehehe . Anyways , about the fuse , you really don't need to have anymore , the amps have on board fuses also , just inside the casing . Besides , if u blow the 150 by the battery...how will power get thru to damage the amp??? If you want , buy another gold plated fuse holder or a pheonix gold circuit breaker and toss it in for added safety if u feel nervous but u should be fine . I'm really surprised that both amps have no external fuses , but they should have them inside the casing for protection...other wise their warranty claims would sky-rocket everytime someone would normally blow a fuse .
Old 05-07-2003, 12:13 AM
6 speedin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you about the cap. That is the same thing I have been told by two installers, but in regards to putting a fuse block or a distribution block with fuses I think this is a good idea because many amps cannot handle 150 amps of current and if 145 amps go through the fuse without blowing that could fry an amp whereas if you had a distribution block with 80 amp fuses going to each amp then they would blow if 140 amps got past the first fuse holder.

Originally posted by Ant7701
ALWAYS put the cap in front of the sub amp . I got a three farad cap and can't wait to install it (in front of the sub amp)...hehehe . Anyways , about the fuse , you really don't need to have anymore , the amps have on board fuses also , just inside the casing . Besides , if u blow the 150 by the battery...how will power get thru to damage the amp??? If you want , buy another gold plated fuse holder or a pheonix gold circuit breaker and toss it in for added safety if u feel nervous but u should be fine . I'm really surprised that both amps have no external fuses , but they should have them inside the casing for protection...other wise their warranty claims would sky-rocket everytime someone would normally blow a fuse .