TL: Suggestions: I want to keep factory HU, replace all speakers (w/ components up front)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions: I want to keep factory HU, replace all speakers (w/ components up front)

I have a 2003 Acura TL (not S). I have already disconnected the factory sub and put a box with 2 x 10 in the trunk (I'm not a bass-head, but boy that makes a huge difference in ALL music.) I want to keep the factory HU because it matches the vehicle AND it has a tape player in it (I listen to a lot of audiobooks from the library, and some are on tape). I already have a great AUX input adapter for the iPhone 5 connected to the HU.

For a "luxury car", this thing has the worst setup for audio. First, the location of the speakers (in the doors and none on the rear deck). My former car, a 2000 Honda Accord EX-V6 had a MUCH BETTER sounding stock system than the TL. The Accord had component up front with tweeters on the dash. And the speakers in the door were aimed up toward your head. It had rear speakers on the rear deck. The only thing I did with that car was add the sub box I now have in the TL and it sounded awesome.

Back to the TL. The front door speakers are aimed strait across toward the center console. I find I drive with my left foot on the floor and my lower leg perpendicular to the floor. However, if I do this, my leg blocks the speaker. If I keep my food on the dead-pedal, the sound is notably better (but this is not comfortable for me.) Also, with the lack of the tweeters on the dash, it just sounds like an average system.

Other than the sound system, I love this car. I'll be driving this car until early 2017 (I'm working on some other investments before upgrading my vehicle.)

I was considering component speakers up front with custom-painted (by me) tweeters on the front dash. (any suggestions?). I also want to replace the rear door speakers OR install rear deck speakers (but that looks like a lot of trouble, even for a guy like me who has a lot of experience upgrading sound systems in his vehicles.)

Thanks for any suggestions.