Sub box ideas...what do you think....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003 | 07:12 AM
Drifting

Sub box ideas...what do you think....

Ok so I am daydreaming and thinking of ways to set up my sub. I am not sure what I want to do and may just end up with a small sealed box but how do yall think this would sound.

I was thinking I could build a vented box to spec for my sub like this http://www.edesignaudio.com/im2/boxc...c%20vented.jpg and lay it in my trunk so the sub and port face the back deck. Then I could take off the cover to the back deck leaving the back speakers in place and taking out the 3rd brake light. Then cover the back deck in some speaker grill cloth. Then in the trunk build a wall so you don't see the sub box and it would make all the sound go up into the car cabin. Now all this would have to be able to be removed because I use my trunk a lot but how would it sound you think. Has anyone done something like this??

I think it would also not make my trunk rattle as much since it would fire into the cabin of the car not the back of the trunk.
Old 12-10-2003 | 09:19 AM
-S namyaC-

That sounds like an interesting idea, I'll give you my thoughts on why I think it would/wouldn't work when I get some time, gotta get to work in just a bit.
Old 12-10-2003 | 09:38 AM
Drifting

Sounds good...ill wait to hear what you think
Old 12-10-2003 | 10:02 AM
Fuct in the hed!

That box would make it way louder than a sealed box. Do you really wanna do all of that work. What happens when you go to sell the car later on?
Old 12-10-2003 | 10:07 AM
Drifting

It doesnt seem like that much work to me...but maybe I am missing something. All I would do is take the back seat out so I could remove the back deck (would have to anyway so I can stop the rattles) get some speaker gril cloth and make some sort of frame so it will cover the frame of the car and then build the vented box and attach another sheet of wood that would act as a wall when the sub was slid in place. When I go to sell the car (long long time from now) all Iwould have to do is take the seat out and put the back deck in and snap it down and back to normal it goes. I am not talking about cutting any of the frame of the car...just taking out that carpeted back deck aka rattle trap
Old 12-10-2003 | 10:57 AM
-S namyaC-

Well shit, I didn't have to go do something I thought i did. Fucking riverboat gigs...anyway, here goes:

I don't think you will see any significant gains by doing the rear deck trick. The box looks good, and def would be louder than sealed. 26hz is a low tuning freq tho, and you can't change it easily in a box like that.

The reason I don't think you will see any gains from the rear deck trick is that it simply isn't much different than what is already there. Your rear deck and seats pass enough sound already. I actually think it might sound bad (just firing up like that in general), but it all depends. The sub isn't going to like playing in two air spaces, the trunk compartment and the car. You need to pic one or the other. I tried this in my Taurus when I first put a system in there - It simply was too great of an area for the sub to play in. The subs unloaded quite easily, sounded like ass lol. You need to either pressurize the cabin or the trunk, not both. Also, the panel you propose to hide the system would effectivly turn it into a bandpass and prob also sound bad lol.

What you need to do is decide what kind of box you want, and build it first. Then, play around with it. What ever it sounds like facing up towards the rear deck, is about the same as it will sound with no rear deck (you can also test by removing the rear deck).

Then try facing the sub through the armrest hole. This is how I plan to do my setup - sealed to the car. It won't sound quite as good just facing into the hole b/c it's still reflecting sound into the trunk. You can test the sealed effect with some scrap wood if it sounds promising to you. You also have to be VERY careful here b/c you can recreate the bandpass effect if there is too much space sealed up between the sub box and the arm rest hole. The box design above has too much playing surface area (sub+port). You want as much of that area firing through the hole as you can get. The reason I prefer this setup is b/c it simply sounds better to me (done right). Some of the best sounding systems I've heard were SUV and trucks. In a car, we normally rely on reflected sound. There are to damn many variables in that for me tho compared to the sound source being direct.

Does any of that make any sense? I guess I'm rambling, I'm sorta pissed off at something else ( ), so I apologize. I'll be here for like another hour or so. Keep in mind all the above is just my personal observations, and is not set in stone. Your idea might sound kick ass in your car, it might not. You gotta experiment and see.
Old 12-10-2003 | 11:15 AM
Drifting

Ahhh I understood it all...i wasnt sure if it would sound better or not...so I wont do it...I kinda thought it wouldnt. That vented box is the one they recomend for this sub so if I do vented it will be like this one....or the sealed one they have.

Thanks