stock speakers make intermittent snapping sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
stock speakers make intermittent snapping sound

I saw a thread on this awhile ago, but I couldn't find it again using the search. I know this is normal, but I'd like someone to explain it to me. My speakers make a "snap" or electric "pop" sound (pretty quiet) every couple minutes regardless of whether the stereo is on or off. Someone mentioned that the sound is the AC compressor turning on and off. Can anyone elaborate?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What car? TSX I'm assuming based on the PM you sent me. Is the system completely stock? Have you added anything to it? Any mods that would affect the electrical system at all or anything drawing off of it?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Pro

Bone stock 2006 AT tsx. Zero mods except led interior dome lights. I'm pretty sure others have posted about this on here, I just can't find the right search words.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:33 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine does the same thing

Jottle,

I have the same exact problem...yet every time I take it in to the dealership, they can never hear. Its very frustrating to say the least. Have you had any luck with fixing this problem? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Chris
Old 02-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by chouston75
Jottle,

I have the same exact problem...yet every time I take it in to the dealership, they can never hear. Its very frustrating to say the least. Have you had any luck with fixing this problem? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Chris
I've noticed that it only comes out of the tweeters (I think). I have a feeling that all tsx's do this, and it's a result of the electrical system in some way. The fact that it happens with the entire sound system off leads me to believe this. I haven't taken it in to my dealer yet, too many other rattles and stupid things to document first. I plan on mentioning it to them next month though. I really hope I can find that thread that mentioned this issue beforehand. But judging by the fact that it's so hard to find, I'm willing to bet that few people notice it? Hard to say with these things. Generally only people with problems come to the forum

Did you have the techs sit in your car with you? I really think that in order to get anything done at the dealership, you have to have them there with you and specifically point it out to them. The techs and service managers purposely ignore sounds that they think they can't isolate and fix. Just read the stories here and on t s x c l u b.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Pro

Yup. I confirmed it. The snap sound happens when the AC fan turns off. Right after it turns off, not when it turns on. So it's tied to the electrical system. If I turn off the hvac, and the by necessity the compressor fan as well, no more snapping sound! anyone else out there have this?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:57 AM
'05 TSX CG W/NAV

I have it as well. I have replaced my entire system other than the stock NAV unit. I never noticed it with the stock system, but it very well could have been happening then as well. But like you, seems to be with the AC fan.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by bullyx2
I have it as well. I have replaced my entire system other than the stock NAV unit. I never noticed it with the stock system, but it very well could have been happening then as well. But like you, seems to be with the AC fan.

It looks like it's just the way they designed the electrical system, which is a real bummer You'd think they would pay a little bit more attention to these things.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:11 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jottle
It looks like it's just the way they designed the electrical system, which is a real bummer You'd think they would pay a little bit more attention to these things.
searching the forum, I haven't seen anyone else find a solution. My car is at the dealership now, but tech I rode with said he's at a loss for trying to figure out how to diagnose/get at the problem. I'm going to tell him to look at the amp and headunit grounding.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Pro

Still no solution. Anyone else notice this problem? My grounds are all good. The snap noise comes through the tweeters (subtlely) when the ac fan shuts off from running for a couple seconds.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jottle
Still no solution. Anyone else notice this problem? My grounds are all good. The snap noise comes through the tweeters (subtlely) when the ac fan shuts off from running for a couple seconds.
what did you do to check your grounds? i curious if the amp/radio shares the same ground point as the ac.. can anyone confirm this? if i a car in front of me i could be of more assistance. also is the tweeters ran through a passive filter like a single capacitor running in series with the tweeter?

its semi - common to have a turn on "pop" and some times a turn off "pop". but thats when intagrating factory equipment.

Last edited by ice2fire11; 09-13-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ice2fire11
what did you do to check your grounds? i curious if the amp/radio shares the same ground point as the ac.. can anyone confirm this? if i a car in front of me i could be of more assistance. also is the tweeters ran through a passive filter like a single capacitor running in series with the tweeter?

its semi - common to have a turn on "pop" and some times a turn off "pop". but thats when intagrating factory equipment.
Well, I actually didn't check the grounds w/a voltmeter. I got into the engine bay and looked for any grounds I could find. Then I unhooked them, cleaned them and the metal, then retightened them. One of the techs at the dealership checked my headunit (I don't think he checked the amp) ground and said it was fine. So I still have no idea what's causing it. I think I have a bad ground somewhere, but the acura techs always claim they can't hear it (it is subtle). This is ridiculous considering I have a BONE STOCK system and the car has been doing this from day one. I don't know if the audio system is linked to the a/c electrically in any way. My service manual does not show where all the grounds in the car are. I think I would need the electrical manual supplement. Maybe I can try those grounding kits that add more grounds to the engine.