TSX: Stereo interference problem @ full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo interference problem @ full throttle

So before I describe the problem I'm having, let me describe my audio setup.

Stock non-navi head unit with an auxiliary adaptor like this one ( http://www.crutchfield.com/p_469HO03...r.html?tp=1672 ), Fierce Audio Ground Loop Isolator ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Fierce+A...5136&st=ground loop isolator&cp=1&lp=1 ), Radio Shack RCA --> 3.5mm stereo jack, XM XpressRCi.

Now the problem that I'm having is that whenever I'm at full throttle, I'm getting a lot of interference noise coming through all of my speakers. The faster the engine is spinning at full throttle, the louder the static is. I tried to isolate the problem down to either the stereo and/or auxiliary system and found that once I turned off the XM radio, the static was completely eliminated. If the XM radio is powered on and I'm just listening to a CD, the static is still there. If I plug the 3.5mm stereo jack from the GLI into my old iPod nano all of the static comes back again at full throttle but when I plug that same stereo jack into my iPhone 4, there are virtually no interference issues; much better shielding in the iPhone?

My first instinct was to replace the old GLI that I'd been using for the past 5 years but that didn't change anything. I tried using 2 different XM radios (the one listed above and a super old SkyFi2) but there was no difference between them. I replaced the RCA cables running from the auxiliary adaptor to the GLI 3 times with no success. I even tried running the 2 GLI's connected to each other but that made no difference either..lol

So I guess my ultimate question here is whether or not I need to replace the auxiliary adaptor that I've been using for the past 5 years? Since that's the most expensive part, I'd just rather get the advise of those more knowledgable about audio systems to confirm/debunk my latest theory about this problem.

Thanks, everyone!

Phil
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like an odd issue for sure. The thing that throws me off is when you use your iPhone. Absolutely nothing you added or changed recently? At what volume level do you hear it? 3/4?

Total random initial thought but if I remember correctly don't the 04+ TL and TSX automatically increase in volume when you're at full throttle? That was a first thought til I read further but seems like you're troubleshooting for the most part has narrowed it down to the auxiliary input.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
My TL has light buzzing that changes in pitch as the rpms climb as if i had aftermarket system with bad rca's. I don't understand it.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesi
Sounds like an odd issue for sure. The thing that throws me off is when you use your iPhone. Absolutely nothing you added or changed recently? At what volume level do you hear it? 3/4?

Total random initial thought but if I remember correctly don't the 04+ TL and TSX automatically increase in volume when you're at full throttle? That was a first thought til I read further but seems like you're troubleshooting for the most part has narrowed it down to the auxiliary input.
It happens at all volume levels, actually, even at volume level 0.

As far as the automatic volume control, I know that my 2010 TSX V6 w/ the Tech package has it since I can adjust it to "off", "low", "med", and "high" but I really don't think my '04 has it - maybe that was just a feature of the navigation equipped 1G TSX's?

What I'm gonna try next is something that I ordered for my '07 G35x thinking that I needed it to run a factory XM tuner but then later realized I didn't. It's the PXAMG ( http://www.abt.com/product/39094/Per...ecommendations ), I had to order the proper wiring harness (http://www.abt.com/product/39096/Per...rce=alsoviewed ) so that it would plug into my TSX's auxiliary port and replace the 5-year-old Soundgate interface that's in there now that's probably degraded a bit over the years. So hopefully this change, which is only gonna cost me $20 (for the Honda/Acura wiring harness), will work! I'll keep you guys updated and I thank you again for the help.

Phil