TL: Stereo help. Line driver??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo help. Line driver??

Fellas (and ladies) I need help. Without knocking name brands i need some advice. I just installed a 5 channel hifonics amp (that works fine). I have installed line level (hi-lo) converters on the two front and two rear 6.5's (i bypassed the factory amp, The center channel is the only speaker still on the factory amp) and running 2, 2 channel rca's to my amp. My 5 channel amp has a switch that will allow me to switch between 2, 4, and 5 channel inputs. Im using 4 channels. Im getting sound thru all of my speakers (2 ohm infinity 6.5s thruout, and 2 4 ohm kicker subs wired to a 2 ohm load. Ive checked my polarities and im confident that everything is hooked up right, as i get plenty of sound thru all of the speakers. The problem is...im getting about the same volume thru the 6.5's (and tweets) as i did with with the factory amp. The subs hit ok at best but definately NOT like they did in my other car. I AM using my factory HU. And the only thing i can wonder is do i need a line driver to increase my input voltage? My amp is no zapco or A/D/S but i know its capable of waaay more because in my old car with a pioneer HU, it hit like hell and was pretty damn clear. I need more volume in mids highs and subs. JL Audio Cleansweep???? PLease help.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
On your high - low converters, do you have any kind of gain control? I'm guessing this is your issue.

Okay, you lost me at the speakers. Let me see if I've got this straight. You've got 4 2 ohm Infinitys. I'm guessing they're hooked up to the 4 "main" channels of the 5 channel amp. Correct? And you've got 2 4 ohm subs hooked up in parallel on the 5th channel. Correct? I'm guessing this isn't your issue, but somebody else may have other insight.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, the gains are turned up. And u are correct with the speaker configurations. Thats hopw i have it. The subs hit decent and the 4 6.5s are clear but they arent much louder than the factory amp sounded. I also tried a kicker 5 channel amp today just to see if it was the amp, and its not the amp. The kicker sounded about the same. I know people are using Line drivers and i was wondering if thats what i need. Do i have too low a signal voltage from the HU? Ive put in dozens of stereos and amps but not many with factory HU's. Im stumped because ive checked and couble checked all my connections and polarities and i have proper gauge wires. I just think it has to do with these damn LOCs. I kinda wish my amp had speaker level inputs so i could not use these things. Thats why im wondering if that JL audio cleansweep would up the signal voltage thus, increasing Volume. Perhaps?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm not familiar with the cleansweep. I would have to guess that the input voltage is just too low to drive the amp decently. I'd try the line drivers and see if that helps.