Steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 05:17 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Steering wheel controls

Just had a new amp, speakers and sub installed. The guy had to rewire (from what I'm told) all the way from the stock head unit to the new amp. He did a real professional job. I'm impressed.

Problem is now my steering wheel controls don't work. Could he have left somthing unplugged? Does the factory amp have somthing to do with this? I don't recall seeing a specific plug for those controls, when I installed my changer. What could it be?

System sounds great, but Damn, I gota have my controls! It's driving me nuts.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:18 AM
Turn Signals are good!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you still have the stock deck in there?? or was that changed also? If the stock one is still there, how did he run the wires out of the deck? Did he splice them in or use a couple adapters?? The wire from the controls is incorporated in the plug on the back, there is no seperate harness for it because its only one wire.
Old 03-24-2002, 02:23 AM
Pro

Still have the stock head Unit. I kept it because I wanted the controls on the steering wheel and wanted the stock look (I also like the volume knob to be a real knob, and not a crazy ass, funky light show on the face, also). Unfortunatly for me, I'm using the damn knob now that my steering wheel cntls don't work! I keep turning the damn thing off when I go to turn up the unit. Arrrrrrrggggggg.

I got the Infinity Basslink (thanks to you) and also bought an Alpine amp and some sweet Alpine 6X9s, along with the polk 6.5s in the door (again, thanks to you) . The stock tweets sound great with the aftermarket amp, so nothing was done there. Man, this system ROCKS!!!!! Everything I always wanted, except without the steering wheel controls.

Couldn't tell you exactly what he did. I believe he ran the Basslink from the back of the HU, and not from the rear speakers, due to the direction of all of the wires that come into the Basslink. I'll be able to tell better in the AM when I get a good look at what he did, because I picked up my car late (It took him 6 hrs to install my complete system) and it was gettin' dark.

I'm getting the impression that there was some sort of adapter to make the stock unit work with the new amp, just couldn't tell you where the adapter is, if this is the case.

Just wondering if there could be an easy fix so I don't have to deal with going back to the installer, droping off my car, being picked up, etc.

Thanks
Kw
Old 03-25-2002, 02:02 PM
Instructor

If you search this forum for "steering" you'll find a post by someone who found an adapter at crutchfield.com that lets you use steering wheel radio controls with aftermarket head units.

It sells for around $70

Hope thishelps
Old 03-25-2002, 07:48 PM
Turn Signals are good!

I am guessing he used some kind of adapter to get sound out of the deck without cutting any wires. Check to see if this is true, if it is, then most likely that one wire for the audio controls was left out. Im not sure which one it is, but thats almost definatly what happened, if so i'd go back to the place that did it and have them fix it cause its their screw up.
Old 03-30-2002, 07:28 AM
Pro

Yep. He used an adapter and rewired the whole system (I guess the dude wasn't happy with the stock wireing). I took it back and he fixed it. He said that he missed one wire (blue and white, in the middle) and modified the connector and re-routed the wire. Works perfectly. Hit it on the head Sumkid!

I would bitch about him missing the steering controls wire, but the guy did such a good job wireing the amp and Sub, that I can't really complain. He ran two Thick ass fused/insulated wires to the Batt. (one for the amp, one for the Bass link) and did a sweet job that took him all day. He must love his job!