Calling all electrical geniuses

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 01:09 AM
Blue Devil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling all electrical geniuses

Calling anyone with some good electrical and stereo knowledge for some ideas here.

I've created my own handsfree kit for my phone since I can no longer get a factory oem one for it and I don't feel like buying a new cell phone. (Plus it was fun..... hmmm yep I'm an engineer).

I started with one that plugged into the cig. lighter and then your phone. It had a external mic to mount on your visor and a speaker in it's base. Suprisingly it didn't work to bad, but I wanted something cleaner. So I dismantled it and did some work. I took the leads going to the speaker and connected them to the NAVI sound input leads on the back of the stock stereo (I didn't get navi...my bad). I then wired a switch to the NAVI mute line to manually mute the stereo and switch to the NAVI sound inputs.

So far it works well rather well actually expect for a few quirks.
1st: When the system is muted and the handsfree is active I get a loud hissing humming sound. If I turn up the volume on the handsfree it drowns it out but if it's silent and not being used it's rather loud.

2nd: I'm getting a rather bad echo to whomever I'm calling. The mic is picking up the sound coming through the speakers and the calle (?) is interrupting themselves with themselves.

So any ideas, here is what I've thought of.
1st
- Install a noise filter on the navi input line.
- Use a line level convertor instead of wiring direct to the navi input lines.

2nd
- Some sort of audio delay circuit on the sound (sort of similar to an older analog phones handset setup)
- Different Microphone
- Repositioning the microphone

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brenden
Old 03-30-2002, 08:03 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the same hands free kit you do, I believe (CCM). I've never been impressed with the quality of the sound that I get or transmitt with that unit. In fact, I only use it as the charger.

You will probably find that the quality of the Mic that came with the unit is Crap. In fact, if it IS the same unit I have, the whole unit is crap. I'd change the Mic to somthing with better quality, and maybe hard wire the unit together somehow instead of using the cig. lighter. I'm getting the impressioin that you are getting some kind of feedback due to the proximity of the main unit, if you still have it plugged into the Cig lighter. Touch the connection that the mic plugs into, do you get feedback? Good luck. I've been looking for some kind of hands free kit for my car for a while now. The CCM unit just aint' cuttin' it.