Sound Deadin stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 01:43 AM
WIP-Work in Progress

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Sound Deadin stuff

I went to Home Depot/Lowes couldn't find any Peel and Seal. Instead I found this weather insulation/sound proof for generators and other purposes. ITs like reflective aluminum with bubble wrap in the middle. Anyone ever used this stuff before? It doesnt have a sticky side so i'm thinking of using double sided tape. Any other suggestions for cheap alternative to stuff like Dynomat and that I dont have to order online?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i dunno how that stuff would work... i did go a cheaper route than dynamat and ordered fatmat online.. i just put down multiple layers to get a better effect...
Old 07-12-2006, 03:58 AM
Stay off my lawn!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home Depot doesn't carry Peel n Seal but most all Lowes do, did you ask someone? you probably did...I would try another Lowes store before buying the bubble wrap stuff, it doesnt sound like it would block sound very well, and buying a bunch of double-sided tape could add up quick. I put four rolls of peel n seal in my trunk (50 sq ft) for about $52, you won't find any other product where you can get 1 sqft/dollar...
Old 07-12-2006, 04:18 AM
Stay off my lawn!!

I just saw in another thread someone mentioned they picked up something called 'Storm Guard' at Home Depot, sounds like their version of Peel n Seal. The stuff is pretty fun to install too, at least I enjoyed it. Best install advice I found: do the tap test! tap the metal you are considering matting, and if it dings then mat it up, if it thuds then hunt for more dings.

Also, people suggest buying a roller or something to help apply the stuff. Just use a tape measure or something of similar size wrapped in a rag. Take the two bucks you saved on the roller and buy yourself some ice cream after a successful install

hope this helps
Old 07-12-2006, 04:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
i dunno how that stuff would work... i did go a cheaper route than dynamat and ordered fatmat online.. i just put down multiple layers to get a better effect...
And how did that turn out? Is that for your Vigor or 1st gen TL? And where did you apply it?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

If you really want Dynamat relatively cheap ... and make some extra money. Go work at Best Buy for 3 months part time and get the employee discount(5% above cost). You'll save ~50% on the purchase of it, which makes the trunk kit they sell about $60 (don't remember the sqft of the kit, but considering it's a $120+ kit ...).

The benefit is, that since your working you're making money ... and since you're working, you're not spending money. The dynamat will pay for itself multiple times over and maybe you can pickup a nice 60" plasma tv.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Pro

check out www.elementaldesigns.com they have a few sound deadning products for a good price. you can use this coupon code: eDeadBA for a 20% discount when you checkout as well.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:07 PM
WIP-Work in Progress

Originally Posted by AcuraTLux
I just saw in another thread someone mentioned they picked up something called 'Storm Guard' at Home Depot, sounds like their version of Peel n Seal. The stuff is pretty fun to install too, at least I enjoyed it. Best install advice I found: do the tap test! tap the metal you are considering matting, and if it dings then mat it up, if it thuds then hunt for more dings.

Also, people suggest buying a roller or something to help apply the stuff. Just use a tape measure or something of similar size wrapped in a rag. Take the two bucks you saved on the roller and buy yourself some ice cream after a successful install

hope this helps

Yeah I asked the Lowes employees they never heard of Peel n Seal. Which Dept did you find the stuff?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

honestly i would use the elemental designs deadener over peel n seal. using the coupon provided above you would get a sound deadener on par with atleast Dynamat original (if not extreme) for apporx. .80 a sq ft. It is about the best cost to performance ratio i've found as far as deadener goes.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Stay off my lawn!!

Originally Posted by 03tlCHARCOL
Yeah I asked the Lowes employees they never heard of Peel n Seal. Which Dept did you find the stuff?

It was in the roofing aisle, kind of by the wood. That's out here in Portland so I don't know if it's a regional product or what. But I checked out the elemental designs webpage and would totally go with that product, especially with the discount code. I was considering picking some up to do my doors.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Which one?

Milwaukie? Hillsboro? or the actual Portland store in Delta Park?
Old 07-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Stay off my lawn!!

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Which one?

Milwaukie? Hillsboro? or the actual Portland store in Delta Park?

The Lowes in Tigard, 72nd st exit off 217.

Just back from a rallycross event at PIR, the TL got no closer to the course than the parking lot, but sure is dirty. I know what I'm up to for the rest of the day!
Old 07-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Polar Chicken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wrote this last year, maybe it will help: http://homepage.mac.com/vasu42/tsxdamp.pdf
Old 07-18-2006, 06:42 PM
WIP-Work in Progress

Thanks a bunch I finally found the stuff. Now i'm going to install some of the stuff. HOw many layers did you do? And technically it should stop the rattle right?

Originally Posted by AcuraTLux
It was in the roofing aisle, kind of by the wood. That's out here in Portland so I don't know if it's a regional product or what. But I checked out the elemental designs webpage and would totally go with that product, especially with the discount code. I was considering picking some up to do my doors.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:56 AM
Stay off my lawn!!

I did about two layers, but some places need it real bad and some places dont need it at all. Just remember the tap test: tap a spot and if it thuds, its fine. but if it makes a resonated sound, like when you tap your sheetmetal fender and it sounds like a 'ding' then it could use a couple of layers. I show people the difference by tapping the rear door and then the rear fender (which has been peelnsealed) and you can definitely tell. Technically, it should discourage the soundwaves from travelling anywhere but towards the front of the car (unless you put it on the back of the back seat, which would be self-defeating). Rattles can be hard to identify, but the peel n seal should definitely help. Assuming that loose wires and panels hitting sheet metal is the main cause of rattles, covering the sheet metal will deaden this. Also try taping down loose wires, and I was considering buying some of that styrofoam type tape that is like 1/4" thick and has a sticky side and comes on a roll to pad behind the trunk interior panels and behind the license plate and such. When you're working on your trunk, try to identify parts that look like the would vibrate against other parts when feeling the effect of heavy base.

I put the most layers on the inside of the fenders and up against the rear of the trunk and the trunk lid. I'll post pictures later when I get them uploaded to the internet. Good luck and enjoy it!
Old 07-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Advanced

Check this out.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Old 07-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by indytsx1
Good info! Just got finished reading the whole thing. Checking out the stuff on there got me looking into the Second Skin products. I would love to make my CL as quiet as an RL. Thanks for the link!