Sirius Sat. Radio Install...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Licensed Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius Sat. Radio Install...

So I just traded my Ford Probe GT in for a new TSX about two weeks ago (already put 3000 miles on it)... Don't miss a thing about the Probe except that it had Sirius Satellite Radio and I hadn't listened to FM in the last 8 months (I know... I'm a satellite radio snob). So I was forced to attack the install... but a little apprehensive about doing anything to my new TSX since I have little experience with stuff like this.

Decided to put up some pics of the final product…

Here’s the Kenwood Controller placed in the CD storage compartment. I had to cut the corners off the plastic molding that came with the controller to accommodate the compartment door hinge. Also, I tried to secure it with Velcro but that was too thick making the door difficult to operate (since you have to push it in for it to open). Then I tried some 3M double sided tape… that lasted about a couple of hours in the heat. So I gave up and crazy glued the son of a bitch to the compartment. Now it works like a dream. The door can be closed just like before… The SNDHOND3 and Kenwood Controller/Modulator Box were crammed into the space behind the storage compartment.

For power supply, I didn’t want to damage or splice into any factory wiring… So I check out the fuse box and found some empty slots. The top row has empty slots that provide switched (ACC) power and the middle row has empty slots that provide constant power. The bolt under the fuse box is convenient to use as a ground. I used the Mini Add-A-Circuit that I bought at Auto Zone to place into the fuse box (I had purchased two of these before looking at the fuse box).

Ran the controller DIN cable under the trim to the trunk and used the trunk liner to hide some of it. Placed the antenna on the rear parcel shelf and brought the wire under the brake light into the trunk (sorry no picture). Ran the antenna wire behind the plastic trunk covering and brought it out through the access panel for the right rear lights.

All in all it only took me a couple of hours and I was pleasantly surprised by how it turned out. I had to drive from Northern VA back to Cleveland, OH last weekend and the drive was much more enjoyable with Sirius.

I just have one question/comment for all of you out there with NAVI and SNDHOND3…

I noticed this… if the last device used was the AUX (CD-C -) and the audio system was turned off but the navi and the external device (in my case the Sirius Radio) was still on then when the Navi voice comes on, you can here the muted device also for the duration of the Navi voice. This was solved by just making sure that AUX is not the last device used or that the external source is off… Have any of you had a similar experience?

Lastly for fun, I changed the interior dome and door lights to blue LEDs. They are a little dimmer than factory but I’ve gotten a ton of compliment from my friends about them…

To end my first thread… here are two pics of my new obsession.

Old 09-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
looks hot...
Old 09-24-2004, 02:50 PM
4th Gear

Where did you get the BLUE LED's from. I was thinking of doing the same thing. Does the Blue match the existing blue in the car already?

2004 TSX AT GREY/EBONY
Old 09-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Intermediate

Great, you think circuit city would take the time to pull power from the fuse box for me?
Old 09-24-2004, 10:43 PM
Licensed Driver

Originally Posted by savage
looks hot...
Thanks...

Originally Posted by Fokker70
Where did you get the BLUE LED's from. I was thinking of doing
the same thing. Does the Blue match the existing blue in the car already?
I got them from a guy selling them on Ebay. He has an auction going on right now too... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33713 He responded quickly to questions... The blue LEDs seem to match perfectly the existing (factory) courtesy lights near the dome, by the ignition and below the radio. Honesty they look awesome and I have no regrets but you should know they are dimmer than the factory "white" lights... Really quick to install too... 5 minutes in the parking lot.

Originally Posted by Sumit831
Great, you think circuit city would take the time to pull power from the fuse box for me?
Not sure what Circuit City would do... better or worse... I just know it's my car and only I know what kinda attention I can give to it... Seriously, I have no experience with this stuff and it wasn't that difficult. The entire top row of fuse slots are "switched power" and some of them are empty so that you can put whatever you want into them. Similarliy the middle row has "constant power" and some of them are also empty. The MINI add-a-circuits from AutoZone made getting power from the fuse box simple... I don't trust others (eg. Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.) to install stuff in my car since I'm not sure if they would cut wires to get power or do a sloppy job...
Old 10-10-2004, 11:29 AM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is cool Axygos. With Howard Stern moving to SIRIUS in 2006 I am seriously considering taking the leap to SIRIUS satellite radio. I was looking for some examples of SIRIUS TSX installs. I will have to consider a similiar install when the time comes.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:32 PM
White and Nerdy

Axygos - sweet car! I have a CG, too, but no mods yet.

I was going to post a question about getting blue lights installed....thanks for the link! Are the bulbs a standard brand (Im wondering if I just couldn't find them in a local store somewhere)?

I was also wondering if there was a way to get more powerful bulbs for the blue lights that are already there, and if there was a way to get the window, door lock, and radio buttons changed so that they would be a blue color as well (or maybe a silver color that would reflect the blue light and would match the "metal" in the interior).
Old 10-10-2004, 08:12 PM
White and Nerdy

Duh, sorry, dumb question there on "the more powerful blue lights", I guess I should have read the description on ebay.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:17 PM
Intermediate

Where did u put the antenna at?
Old 10-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fabpaul
Where did u put the antenna at?
Did you have to drill anyway?
Old 10-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Licensed Driver

I placed the antenna on the rear package shelf... the wire was run under the tail light assembly into the trunk... no drilling required...
Old 10-21-2004, 07:32 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
When you are pointing South do you experience any dropouts?

My XM is under the dash far forward in the CR-V and when pointing North I sometimes lose coverage. Hills to the West also hurt sometimes.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Licensed Driver

In fact, I have got very little drop out... most of the time I even get signal while in above ground parking structures...

When I had my old Ford Probe, the antenna was placed on the car instead of inside it and it NEVER dropped out... now with the antenna inside the TSX there is some drop out when I'm right next to some tall buildings, or sitting under a covered enterence to a building...

Overall, very happy though with quality.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:32 AM
Racer

Which fusebox are you pulling power from? driver side, passenger side, under hood?

I'm trying to hardwire my jvc pnp, but i don't want to splice any wire either.

-vasu
Old 11-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Licensed Driver

Used the mini Auto-Fuse to get power from the fuse box by the driver's side. Didn't think there was a fuse box on the passenger side...
Old 11-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Racer

I'm not sure if there is a fuse box on the right side..there was on my 98 Accord.

The panavise mount I'm getting will have my jvc pnp tuner mounted on the right (passenger) side of the center stack. Is there a way to feed the power wires through from the driver side to the passenger side?

I knew how to do this on my old accord, but can it be done without removing the whole navigation unit, and just the main pocket? i.e., can I get feet a cable in from the driverside footwell and have it come out the passenger side footwell?

-vasu
Old 11-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Licensed Driver

Was easily able to feed wires from the driver's side fuse box to the center console using a wire clothes hanger (as a wire snake) above the plastic covering on the underside of the dash. I Accessed the center console by just removing the CD storage area (not the navi unit). Also form the center console, I was able to feed wire to the passenger side compartment footwell using a similar technique with the hanger.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
what fuse did you use for the constant power?
Old 11-07-2004, 01:00 PM
Licensed Driver

Are you asking how many amps the fuse was rated for or which fuse slot did I use?

AMP: I think I used a 3 or 5 amp fuse since I didn't need anything bigger for the sat. controller.

As for the location, any of the empty slots on the middle row had constant power when I tested them. I just happened to use the sixth one from the left (see picture in my original post).

Hope that helps...
Old 11-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Thanks. I'm not real smart on fuses. All i know is the the have 7.5, 10, 15 and 20 written on them. How does that correlate to the amps?
Old 11-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Licensed Driver

Originally Posted by batman
Thanks. I'm not real smart on fuses. All i know is the the have 7.5, 10, 15 and 20 written on them. How does that correlate to the amps?
Simply, the numbers on the fuses indicate the number of amps a fuse will take before it "blows" thereby breaking the circuit and hopefully protecting vital components. Usually if there is a short in the circuit, the resistance drops and the current (Amperes) goes up... this is where a fuse would come in handy...

Old 11-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Axygos/anyone i need some help. i hooked my commander up but for some reason it has no power. i use the add a circuit for the constant power, the cig-lighter for the acc and i ground it under the center console. only thing i can think is that i got a bad ground. is there any other problem that you can think of? i know thats kind of vauge but that's all i have to go with for now.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Licensed Driver

Originally Posted by batman
Axygos/anyone i need some help. i hooked my commander up but for some reason it has no power. i use the add a circuit for the constant power, the cig-lighter for the acc and i ground it under the center console. only thing i can think is that i got a bad ground. is there any other problem that you can think of? i know thats kind of vauge but that's all i have to go with for now.
Hmm... the best way of testing the system is with a cheap circuit tester and continuity tester... you can get them for a couple bucks at any auto store or radioshack. Connect it to ACC and ground to see if the light on the tester comes on... Also repear for the constant power... Also, sometimes the fuse box cover dislodges the add-a-circuit from the fuse box... PM me if you need more help.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

cool. thanks. i will pm you if that's works.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Race Director

I plan on doing it in the same spot...looks great
Old 11-05-2005, 09:40 PM
03cls6sps/c19"

Originally Posted by Axygos
So I just traded my Ford Probe GT in for a new TSX about two weeks ago (already put 3000 miles on it)... Don't miss a thing about the Probe except that it had Sirius Satellite Radio and I hadn't listened to FM in the last 8 months (I know... I'm a satellite radio snob). So I was forced to attack the install... but a little apprehensive about doing anything to my new TSX since I have little experience with stuff like this.

Decided to put up some pics of the final product…

Here’s the Kenwood Controller placed in the CD storage compartment. I had to cut the corners off the plastic molding that came with the controller to accommodate the compartment door hinge. Also, I tried to secure it with Velcro but that was too thick making the door difficult to operate (since you have to push it in for it to open). Then I tried some 3M double sided tape… that lasted about a couple of hours in the heat. So I gave up and crazy glued the son of a bitch to the compartment. Now it works like a dream. The door can be closed just like before… The SNDHOND3 and Kenwood Controller/Modulator Box were crammed into the space behind the storage compartment.

For power supply, I didn’t want to damage or splice into any factory wiring… So I check out the fuse box and found some empty slots. The top row has empty slots that provide switched (ACC) power and the middle row has empty slots that provide constant power. The bolt under the fuse box is convenient to use as a ground. I used the Mini Add-A-Circuit that I bought at Auto Zone to place into the fuse box (I had purchased two of these before looking at the fuse box).

Ran the controller DIN cable under the trim to the trunk and used the trunk liner to hide some of it. Placed the antenna on the rear parcel shelf and brought the wire under the brake light into the trunk (sorry no picture). Ran the antenna wire behind the plastic trunk covering and brought it out through the access panel for the right rear lights.

All in all it only took me a couple of hours and I was pleasantly surprised by how it turned out. I had to drive from Northern VA back to Cleveland, OH last weekend and the drive was much more enjoyable with Sirius.

I just have one question/comment for all of you out there with NAVI and SNDHOND3…

I noticed this… if the last device used was the AUX (CD-C -) and the audio system was turned off but the navi and the external device (in my case the Sirius Radio) was still on then when the Navi voice comes on, you can here the muted device also for the duration of the Navi voice. This was solved by just making sure that AUX is not the last device used or that the external source is off… Have any of you had a similar experience?

Lastly for fun, I changed the interior dome and door lights to blue LEDs. They are a little dimmer than factory but I’ve gotten a ton of compliment from my friends about them…

To end my first thread… here are two pics of my new obsession.

For future referance with double side tape if you clean the surface with an alcohol pad and then heat up the tape with a lighter it wont ever ever ever come off.