Sirius Conversion for Navi w/ XM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sirius Conversion for Navi w/ XM?

Does anyone know how to hack the touchscrren / Navi system and replace the XM with Sirius? Is the XM an add on module or integral to the Navi radio? I want to replace the XM with Sirius and maintain the stock look and control through the touch screen. There are many kits to connect Sirius to aftermarket and OEM head units but I haven't found one for the acura yet although there is probably one for the non Navi radio.
I think all the manufactureres that signed with XM or Sirius exclusively made a huge mistake. We should be able to choose which Satelitte provider we want in our car. I almost did not buy an Acura because I wanted Sirius.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

I would like to do the exact same thing. Have you come up with any further info?
Old 01-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Advanced

no, you are the only one that has replied. I hope somone comes up with a solution for this.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Instructor

Can't be done, thats why no one is replying. XM and Sirius equipment are not compatible in any way. I do remember someone going to the SEMA show and being told by some company they were working on building a converter to allow factory installed satellite radio to be switched between xm and sirius and sirius to xm. Not sure if this ever got off the ground though. I wish it did for Stern!
Old 01-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

That's not entirely true. The XM antenna can be used in Sirius tuners. It just a matter of what the display would look like if you swap out the XM tuner and replace it with a Sirius one.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:48 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I suspect that DIrected is launching a bunch of these at CES... wait a week.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

ideas for adding sirius radio to 2004 w/navi??

I don't have satellite radio at all in my car, need ideas to add it and use steering controls.

I don't want to use a RF Mod.

I appreceiate your thoughts.

David
Old 01-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Advanced

Nice Clean Sirius install

Hi All, i picked up my 06' TSX NBP / EB 5AT w/ Navi last monday. I got tired of waiting for a solution to my original question so i did this:

I installed the Sirius S50 $325.00 (275.00 after $50 rebate). the S50 comes with a car mount kit with a long arm mount and short Arm mount.

I mounted it to the inside of the center console in front of the "NOT AN ASHTRAY" door. Consequently you will loose the ability to open this door but since I have no use for the prizes behind it, I dont mind.

I used the Short arm mount and trimmed the adhesive bse to match the line of the console.

I ran the Power and Audio into the armrest console where there is an AUX input and a Power outlet. Acura left a pass thru hole for connection of your ipod or whatever to the AUX jack and the power outlet so no modification was required. I am not using the FM modulator, the audio is played through the AUX inut for the best sound. I ran the cables down along the side of the drivers seat.

This mounting location allows me to retain acces to the storage cubby and the door operates and clears the S50.

The antenna cable is run under the Drivers seat and beginning at the bottom seatbelt mounting point the wire is tucked up under the doorsill trim, then around the edge of the back seat up onto the package tray in the rear window. i secured the button antenna with a piece of velcro to the carpet on the package tray. I have no problem with reception here. No need to attach the antenna to the exterior of the car.

I think the S50 looks good because of its glossy piano black finish and blends in nicely with the interior. The controls are within easy reach for me and the full color display looks great. It also has a remote control.

Feedback? What do you think of this install? I think it is a great compromise to have Sirius and although it is not integrated like the XM, the S50 blends in with the interior nicely.