Satellite Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satellite Radio Installation

I have a 2001 3.2CL with NAVI I'm thinking of installing a satellite raiod either Sirius or XM not sure yet. But my questions is that I don't have enough room on the dash to install the satellite radio. Is there any way I can connect it to my Factory BOSE CD cassette system. Or is there any other location that I can install in (like the center cup holder) Is there any satellite system small enough to fit in any of those areas. Any ideas? suggestions? Examples? pics? Thanks a million!!
Old 10-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Blackbird baby..

I've been meaning to post my Sirius install pics to the board for a few weeks now. I was in your exact same predicament earlier--wtf are my satellite radio options??

A month or so ago I finally decided to take the plunge. I went with Sirius because I had always leaned more towards the service anyhow because they supposedly had more dance-type channels, as well as deeper archives than XM (less song repeats). I have been overjoyed with Sirius--I absolutely LOVE THE SERVICE!

Back to the point though. I have a 2003 CLS NAVI, and I first didn't want to drill holes in the dash, and also didn't want to spend a bunch of $$ on satellite radio. I opted for the Clarion unit from Sirius. As you can see the unit is fairly small, is removeable from the docking cradle, and really blends with the Acura interior look.

The unit is mounted on a flexible universal mount, which bolts to the front left rail on the passenger seat.

Again, no holes drilled.

The antenna is mounted on the passenger side of the dashboard. It is not drilled, glued, etc. The cable basically runs through the side of the dash and locks it in place. It is hardly noticeable from inside or outside the car.

Another image from outside the car looking in from the passenger side.

I would absolutely recommend NOT using the FM modulator. I was forced to use it for a couple weeks because the Blitzsafe adapter was backordered. The sound was pretty horrible. Now, through the Blitzsafe it is digital quality sound--no hisses, pops, etc. It comes through the receiver as a CD source, and I control the volume through the steering wheel controls.

Overall I absolutely love the satellite radio and would never go back. I think either way you'll like it (Sirius or XM). One minor bonus is that Howard Stern will be on Sirius. But that won't be until 2006. The only downside is that the signal cuts out when you go under a bridge, drive through thick tree canopies, and even sometimes next to trucks. This is a very minor annoyance and is well worth it for commercial-free music/entertainment.

I also upgraded as best I could the existing sound system. Let's face it, the "Bose" speakers suck. I also did not want to spend $1000+ for a new head unit so that also limited my selections.

The install shop recommended Orion replacement speakers. I have 5 1/4" in the fronts and 6x9" in the back. Unfortunately they couldnt' get the 6 1/2" to fit in the front but the sound is still much better than stock. I don't know if the size issue is something unique to the 2003 model because most everyone else is able to install 6 1/2" front speakers. I kept the existing tweeters. And the Orions are 2 & 3-ways. I listened to a few speakers and most of them sounded too harsh. The Orions are sensitive enough that they can be powered by the factory stereo (and "Bose" amplifier )

Another huge improvement is the addition of a subwoofer. I kind of went overboard with the sub. Basically I found a box that fit in the trunk, between the trunk floor and the NAVI DVD changer. I got a 12" ported box and it fits perfectly. And I went with a Diamond 12" subwoofer. Def some nice bass! I also have quick-disconnects on the sub so I can remove it easily. I did this just last week in fact when I had to pick up snow tires/wheels. I still need to figure out a way to "lock" the sub down though. It does slip around a little. But not too bad.

For an amp I went with the Orion 300W (model 3002). I really liked the Kenwood digital amp but it wasn't available at this shop.. so I went with the Orion. It is mounted behind the back set in the trunk.

The Sub setup is really too much bass for the car, and it's turned most of the way down. I also have the "Q" setting at minimum because it sounds too sloppy otherwise. But the addition of a sub makes an awesome improvement in the sound quality!

Well I hope this post helps. Good luck with your install!
Old 10-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Here you go XM Commander This is by far the nicest and smallest piece i have installed yet , you can fit it just about anywhere. It would go real good in the sunglass holder perfectly, Hope this helps you out.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the XM commander in my sunglass tray, works wonderfully, and the antenna is in the same area, once I close the tray no one can even tell it is installed. It is also nice because of the remote. The question is, do you like Howard or Opie and Anthony, this will determine the service, if you even enjoy anything like this. XM has college football and nascar, whereas Sirius has the NFL and probably a few other things. Sirius also has the $500.00 one time fee for the life of the radio, XM does not offer this.

If you get the XM commander you could probably have it installed over the center vent, I hardly get any air out of it and it would be fit nicely in that area.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:38 PM
Blackbird baby..

I miss O&A. They were hilarious.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Advanced

Do you have any pics of your installation?
Old 11-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Advanced

Any other idea on installation

I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas on having a setup thats not bulky but looks OEM
Old 11-22-2004, 11:17 PM
steelheader

Originally Posted by EddieC
Do you have any pics of your installation?
Not my install nor my pic, but it is what I am going to do in my MDX.. my wife actually uses the sunglasses holder as a sunglasses holder in our CL-S

Old 11-22-2004, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Old 11-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by banosser
Not my install nor my pic, but it is what I am going to do in my MDX.. my wife actually uses the sunglasses holder as a sunglasses holder in our CL-S

Mine looks very similar except the place cut the lower portion of the tray down some so it doesn't go up as far and makes it easier to see.

The guy where I went to mentioned he would take out the paper tray and custom fit the commander in that area. Maybe someone could do that for you?

I like the alpine in the tray, definately looks nice. I am not sure how hard it would be to see though.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:02 PM
LA CL

PAVDOG -- nice post, very helpful. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:34 PM
2001 3.2 CL

Where did you get that universal mount?
I have the sirius sportster, and I'm looking to do a similar thing.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:09 PM
Blackbird baby..

Originally Posted by lennier
Where did you get that universal mount?
I have the sirius sportster, and I'm looking to do a similar thing.
The install shop that did the sat. radio put it in. I'm not sure but I believe it's the "ARKON CM88"

http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=ARKCM88

It's not perfect but it does the job. Mounts right to the seat bolt.

Word of warning though, the seat *may* not move forward all the way once it's installed. It doesn't matter much to me.. just be aware.